Playing Persimmon in the Titanium Age

Re: Playing Persimmon in the Titanium Age

Postby hoganut » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:58 pm

I would appreciate some input on the following questions, because I'm getting numerous opinions from the folks I ask locally. Question 1: If I hit range balls with my persimmons am I risking breaking them? Question 2: I have 2 drivers I just love, should I not practice with them?
"A bad swing is tiring drudgery. A good swing is a physical pleasure." Ben Hogan
hoganut

Postby NRG » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:30 pm

Played the first medal of the year yesterday, was quite happy to get in with a 79 considering how many 3 putts I had. I have to admit, it was pretty hard to keep the faith seeing my playing partners hit wedges and 9 irons when I had just hit in a 4 or 5 iron. Went out for a few holes before dark tonight with my flat velocity stick and I could feel my swing turn into a slash from the top within just a few holes. The quest goes on for that perfect driver.
NRG

Postby Addington Arnie » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:40 pm

Gotta love persimmon golf :D Up early today for a few holes before work with just early morning mist and the forest deer for company. Beautiful sunny morning. Come to the 10th an uphill par 3 with the flag at the back of a two tier green. Playing off the comp tees for fun so this was playing about 225 yards. A chance to hit a beautiful lagified Titleist 3 wood that NRG had made up for me - see pics. Lucky enough to absolutely middle it and it pitches just before the slope in the middle of the green, skips up to the top level and you can see the track in the morning dew that it didn't miss by too much. I only post this to share the joy of the persimmon game, it really is so much more fun for me. ;)

I type this half watching the PGA Tour event in Las Vegas on the tv. I have to be honest and I am finding it a pretty boring watch.
Attachments
CIMG0919.JPG
CIMG0917.JPG
CIMG0923.JPG
IMG_0290.JPG
Addington Arnie

Postby aiguille » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:36 pm

Sweet AA...that sounds like a magic moment. Love the pic of the ball track in the dew.
aiguille

Postby LipOut » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:55 am

You clearly pushed it.
LipOut

Postby Range Rat » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:13 am

LipOut wrote:You clearly pushed it.
:lol:

Nice shot AA!
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby lagpressure » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:00 am

Tell us you did make the putt coming back right? With the good read you got from the dew!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Addington Arnie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:34 pm

lagpressure wrote:Tell us you did make the putt coming back right? With the good read you got from the dew!

The honest truth is that I don't remember :? :o :oops: I suspect that I would remember if I had putted it whatever the outcome so I probably just picked it up as I was having I was having a bit of a transcendental moment with the beauty of the shot and the scene ;) Either that or I was chased off by the greens crew for being out there before they had done their early morning rounds :D
Addington Arnie

Postby NRG » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:21 pm

I was going to ask if you made your par Arnie. :)

Anyway, I just had to get this off my chest. I've worked on flattening persimmons for a number of students now. I won't give any names, but I was told earlier this year that a student had shot a 74 using "my" clubs, which made me very happy. Then another student told us a month or so ago (in the mod 1 forum i think) that he had shot a 75. Today I received an email from another student who shot a 78 with his first round using his flattened persimmons and Lag spec blades, which is very respectable for a first round out. My best round of the year was a 72 on a course I find really tough (Hexham GC).

I'm not sure if any of these scores were PBs, but to quote Arnie from earlier in this thread
I think it is good supportive evidence that playing persimmon at club level is an eminently practical choice.
NRG

Postby TeddyIrons » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:17 am

That 3 wood you made for Arnie looks amazing, NRG! You've clearly become a bit of an expert.

Arnie - great shot, although I do believe the track in the dew is a photoshop job. :)
You must work very hard to become a natural golfer ~~ Gary Player
TeddyIrons

PreviousNext

Return to The Persimmon Age (Steel)