Playing Persimmon in the Titanium Age

Re: Playing Persimmon in the Titanium Age

Postby Skinnybuddah » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:00 am

hands up - mine was the 78 (@strathaven golf club) not my best, pretty much average for this season, but first time out with my new bag of weapons leave me looking forward to next season.
I'm not sure if its the irons, or just my abs work (just breaking into M2) but divots were markedly different. Definately not pork chops.

I can't speak highly enough of the work that NRG has done on my clubs. In terms of workmanship and communication, i wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone over here in the UK.

Courtesy of Arnie I acquired a set of Maxfli Pro Special persimmons - would reckon I only really caught about 2 spot on (the rest were acceptable for the day) but when I caught them the THWAAAK sound is something special. To watch a high faded tee shot drop onto the middle of the fairway or land a 5wood on a green inside 20ft from persimmon sure is a special feeling - (if I wasn't a tough burly scotsman I'd say it was almost spritual!)

(I'm almost embarrassed to say that I didn't take out the driver, I put in an old Warbird titainium so I could use it of the 1st...........silly really, that was the only time I used it, and I won't be doing it again!)
Skinnybuddah

Postby NRG » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:48 pm

That 3 wood you made for Arnie looks amazing, NRG! You've clearly become a bit of an expert.

Thanks Teddy. You should have seen the state it was in when I got it off ebay, but as soon as it was sanded down, it had Arnies name all over it, cause lets face it, its pretty much a perfect match for the one Lag made him in the Persimmon Flattening guide.
NRG

Postby NRG » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:54 pm

Skinnybuddah,

I bet in a couple of weeks time you won't even be able to look at a club with offset, or hold one thats a normal weight. I know I can't, I never even used to notice offset, now it just look like some kind of joke.
NRG

Postby Skinnybuddah » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:15 am

Funny you should say that. I picked up one of my dads taylor mades the other day and couldn't believe how alien they felt!

From my experience I'd say to anyone who is still considering going to full ABS spec i....go for it straight away.

I took a baby step by getting my old reg. shafted lightweight wilson blades flattened to lag specs and played away thinking this would be a gradual step.

I then picked up a set of persimmons and hogan pcs, from another abs'r and he recomended NRG to spec them up for me.
Firstly thanks Neil, you've done a great job, absolutely lovely lookin set and its great to know that in the UK there's someone who understands whats required and is on the modules as well.
When I first enquired to the local pga pro he assured me this couldn't be done - and it wasn't something that he would recommend since it would ruin my swing. Glad that didn't deter me, all I've bought from him since this is 6 balls!
I can't believe the difference in feel and how quickly they've become normal. The biggest thing for me has been the weight, you really do know where the clubhead is at now and I feel confident of knowing these clubs will mean business through impact. They'll be in my bag for a long long time, although I like those black scotts you've got on Lagbay!

On the aesthetic side, the irons (hogan pcs) are lovely to look at, and I know know what you mean about offset looking weird.
The persimmons are beautiful, initially I didn't want to hit them because they looked great..............I got over that kinda quickly mind you
Can't wait until next season
Skinnybuddah

Postby NRG » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:09 am

Thanks Stu,

I think that having your clubs set up properly is a massive part of learning ABS, I couldn't imagine stepping onto the tee anymore with anything in the bag that is upright, light, offset, graphite shaft etc, or not having set that are totally progressive in terms of weight and lie. I wouldn't say persimmon is essential, though I play them all the time, but flat and heavy is absolutely essential across the bag imo, as is having a steel shaft in your driver.

Am glad you feel like you are benefittng from them already, I think you will be ahead of the game when you get onto the transition modules.

Thanks for the update.
NRG

Postby NRG » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:17 am

Played today with my persimmon driver, first time i've taken it out in about 6 weeks. Just a friendly game off the yellows, but shot a 2 under 68.
NRG

Postby LipOut » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:48 pm

NRG wrote:Played today with my persimmon driver, first time i've taken it out in about 6 weeks. Just a friendly game off the yellows, but shot a 2 under 68.

Cheers Neil, that is a fine round indeed from any tees. You are one of the very very small percentage of people who can show up and shoot below par. That is quite an accomplishment, especially when challenging yourself with persimmon. Must have been a great feeling to walk off the 18th green.
LipOut

Postby lagpressure » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Great round! Congrats!

It's a much more rewarding experience to do it with persimmon and play the course as it was originally intended. We all understand that the current rules allow for the rocket clubs.. but I would much rather go out and shoot 68 knowing that I actually was playing the vision of the architect rather than bombing the ball over all the fairway bunkers or cutting doglegs and rolling the ball with a long putter because I know I can't really do it properly.

Playing the persimmons does improve your feedback, your golf swing, and ultimately improves you as a player. All you have to do is hand a similar set to someone else and see how they go with it.

It's a big reality check for most.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby tim chapman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:09 am

NRG wrote:Played today with my persimmon driver, first time i've taken it out in about 6 weeks. Just a friendly game off the yellows, but shot a 2 under 68.

Well played ! Inspirational stuff, turning yourself from mid single figs into a player.
i want to stand on our 1st tee thinking 68 if i play nicely & 74 is about as bad as it can get
tim chapman

Postby NRG » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:58 am

Cheers Lads, slowly getting there.
NRG

PreviousNext

Return to The Persimmon Age (Steel)