Persimmon shaft tip - plug?

Persimmon shaft tip - plug?

Postby mrlek » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:24 am

The modern graphite shafts have a plastic insert but the older drivers used wood and a screw. For Persimmon, I was wondering if anyone can help re the following:

1. Material - wood / cork?
2. What was the purpose of the screw / is it necessary?
3. How far into the shaft does the insert need to go?
4. Would a certain length provide more dampening effect, such as like the old Macgregor 'Neutralizer' technology?

Thanks ABS
mrlek

Re: Persimmon shaft tip - plug?

Postby mdrretired » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:21 pm

You should use wood and not cork. Depending on tip size you may be able to use a tee or get some real hardwood from Lowes. Get oak and not the soft Chinese stuff most places carry. The set screw in the plug was for added security but modern epoxy negates the need.

The set screw is a nice cosmetic touch and it can be tricky with a new shaft to drill the screw hole in the right spot. Consider estimating the location and marking it with a sharpie then use a file edge or a grinder to start a rough spot that can then be drilled. The chrome on the shaft keeps a drill bit from biting but a roughed up area allows the bit to grab. The more important screw is the back screw (same technique to drill it). Even with modern epoxy a big hitter like Lag (and you ABS aspirants) can break the bond so a back screw is an added precaution. I would not dream of not using a back screw for Lag's clubs by the way.

The plug length should be sufficient to get some epoxy in to hold the plug securely. The Neutralizer hosel plug may or may not be effective and is likely not worth the trouble but if you get hardwood for the plug then it is fairly easy to install it. I have noted that most Neutralizer plugs are maybe 1 1/2" long. As a side note, I have noted that too much epoxy up into the shaft tends to get shaft breakage at the hosel line. I try not to get epoxy up and into the shaft tip - maybe wood is better??

Have fun and good luck - Mike
mdrretired

Postby mrlek » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:10 am

Thanks for the great info, especially the re back screw - I wasn't aware that it remains important with newer epoxy.

I have a later Hogan Apex persimmon that was re-shafted with an x100 a while back (at a local pro shop that normally only handles newer clubs). Because it was originally graphite shafted, there was never a back hole and the new shaft is just epoxied in. Ive been using it quite a bit this past week and to my horror a moment ago, it has a slight creaking sound in the head when flexing the shaft.

Caught in the nick of time!
mrlek

Postby mrlek » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:15 am

Why do you think excessive epoxy inside the shaft leads to breakage? Does it prevent the shaft from flexing properly?
mrlek

Postby mdrretired » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:41 pm

I think excess epoxy in the shaft tip leads to breakage because it stiffens the tip too much perhaps increasing the shear point. Seems more prevalent in irons and a few metal woods. Seems not to be a factor in persimmon. Just an observation after re-shafting a lot of broken clubs - I might be full of beans too. It always seemed to me that the epoxy belongs between the outer shaft and the club head bore hole - doesn't do much good up inside the shaft.
mdrretired

Postby mrlek » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:10 am

OK thanks
mrlek

Return to The Persimmon Age (Steel)