Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding

Postby norcalvol » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:55 pm

Spalding is perhaps the manufacturing giant in the history of golf in North America. That could be based on this listing of some of the firsts in the game thanks to the company.

• First ball manufactured in the U.S.
• First shoes manufactured in the U.S.
• First completely matching set of clubs (woods and irons together).
• First use of numbers on irons rather than names.
• First in locating the sweet spot in the exact same position on all irons of a set.

Spalding was a trailblazer in irons technology in the early part of the century, but their woods weren’t as prominent in the excellence category back then. They were mostly large heads with faces of medium depth. But Spalding in the 1950s changed that with improved designs, deeper faces, and new inserts in such Top-Flight models as the 28.

The Spalding Top-Flight Model 28 was the most popular among Spalding players in the mid-to-late 1950s. These classic persimmons featured a black/white/black vertical bar insert. They weren’t oil-hardened, but Spalding used a wood treating process called “Hydrosealed.” They usually came with the famous Rocket shaft. And they were known for their especially hard persimmon wood.

And who doesn't love the fact that the wood number isn't imprinted in the metal sole but instead is engraved right into the wood?!?

The Model 28's are an important part of golf history.

And now I own a small but beautiful piece of this history: I now have my own set of 28’s.

Several weeks ago, I brought Lag a couple of 28s I had found on Ebay for next to nothing – a 3W and 4W – but I couldn’t find what I thought were a decent D and 2W. Lag said not to worry because he and Mike would find a couple of appropriate heads to make the set complete.

And I'm fortunate that I hadn't found a D and 2W because what Lag/Mike found was simply magnificent... and I received the final product this past weekend.

Mike had told me that the wood had fantastic grain and he wanted to choose a stain and finish that would highlight that. Mike’s work was simply incredible. And when I saw the grain shine through on the finished D and 2W, I realized how fortunate I really was to have them.

They now are flat, heavy, and very stiff. And beautiful. And I can’t wait to game them.

Thanks Lag. Thanks Mike.

Enjoy some photos. They are truly special clubs.

Spalding28driverback_small_edit.jpg
Spalding28driverback_small_edit.jpg (282.77 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

Spalding28driverface_small_edit.jpg
Spalding28driverface_small_edit.jpg (285.48 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

Spalding 28 2wood sole_small.jpg
Spalding 28 2wood sole_small.jpg (33.96 KiB) Viewed 1433 times

Spalding 28s faces_small.jpg
Spalding 28s faces_small.jpg (25.86 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Re: Captain Spalding

Postby 20 Mule Team » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:36 pm

Wow, those are beautiful. Another set to be insanely proud of.
20 Mule Team

Re: Captain Spalding

Postby norcalvol » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:49 pm

Came home this evening to find my house had been robbed. Lost some valuable things.

BUT MY PERSIMMONS AND BLADES WERE NOT TAKEN!

The thieves must game frying pans and cavity backs I guess. :evil:
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Return to The Persimmon Age (Steel)