Spalding Robert T Jones Irons

Spalding Robert T Jones Irons

Postby TheCrow » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:29 am

Hey,

These are on Lag's list of favourites.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121387039493&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNARL:CA:1123

I'm thinking about grabbing them. The problem is the shaft bands don't state the flex. The seller has looked for me. If they are regular flex are they not worth it? I'd have them weighted and bent to ABS specs. The hosels look HUGE so I hope they're heavy already.
TheCrow

Re: Spalding Robert T Jones Irons

Postby lagpressure » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:18 pm

I do own a couple sets of these, and have gamed them on occasion to gain a proper historical perspective. If anything, it showed me that big headed light irons are not any kind of new technology. This stuff has been tried out before, and I am sure that the similar modern approach toward iron designs will also be a passing fad.

The Jones irons have a very thin flange. Big heads, and light. Not ideal by any means. The heavier more compact heads that came shortly after these were a superior technology for better players. What I do like about the Jones irons are those amazing perforated leather grips. Most of them have held up well, and they just feel great in your hands. I would game those grips on my main playing set if they could be transferred.. but Mike and I have not found a way to do that.

I'd pass on these for purchase, unless you just like the novelty idea of gaming a set from that era... or of course as a collector of golf history.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: Spalding Robert T Jones Irons

Postby TheCrow » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:06 pm

Ok thanks lag! Happy I didn't pull the trigger.
TheCrow

Return to The Persimmon Age (Steel)