Thanks for this site

Thanks for this site

Postby bladeuser » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks Lag for having this site of sites where the truth of golf is told and shared.

I am a 54 year old male with 9 handicap and I use classic blades, I currently use Ben Hogan Apex 2's. I use either a Karsten IST Titanium 10 degrees, 43" Stiff ProForce 75 Gold driver, or TaylorMade R580 9.5 degrees, 43" Stiff ProForce 65 Gold driver. My 3 and 5 woods are TightLies ST.

I have been golfing since 1999 and I learned on blades. I have a small collection of 31 sets of classic blades.

Thanks Again.
BR.
BladeUser
bladeuser

Re: Thanks for this site

Postby lagpressure » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:55 pm

There was a article recently about how Florida is having to deal with the massive closure of golf courses. This led to a conversation about why golf is losing traction. Everything from Tiger to costs of operation. But I would suggest that the biggest reason golf is not "Sticking" with many of those who play it.... as it did in the past is due to the changes in feel, interaction and even the sound of game.

Walking a golf course is GOING to make you feel better over time. It's great for your health and it was a ritualistic form of exercise that has disappeared for all but a select few.

One of the things that kept me playing was the feel of good strikes with a persimmon and especially blade long irons. It's addictive. That wonderful feeling of a balata coming off a persimmon or a long iron is a wonderful feeling that is GONE in today's version.

As humans, we have not quite yet evolved into computer based cyborgs, instead, we still feel things through our senses. Touch and feel through the hands, the sound of the balata golf ball coming off the face, the feel of steel spikes gripping the earth properly all have had a huge effect on the overall experience. The aesthetic look of the clubs, particularly a finely crafted persimmon made of organic material, not synthetic... refinished like a piece of fine furniture is going to give a player a different sense of pride and uniqueness than pulling out a modern frying pan driver that lacks those qualities.

The visual flight of the balata ball is much more interesting and beautiful really than the lower spinning plastic balls... let alone the clicky sound of modern balls compared to the whoosh of balata.

A lot of this is probably a byproduct of the modern age in general. Sitting down with a good friend in person for a conversation over a good cup of coffee or tea compared to the impersonal nature of texting.... might be an example.
Both could communicate the basic concepts of conversation, but these are two very different experiences... with often different outcomes.

I think there is some confusion over an era obsessed with convenience vs one more concerned with quality. Convenience in and of itself may not be a proper substitution for quality across the boards.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: Thanks for this site

Postby 20 Mule Team » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:51 am

lagpressure wrote:There was a article recently about how Florida is having to deal with the massive closure of golf courses. This led to a conversation about why golf is losing traction. Everything from Tiger to costs of operation. But I would suggest that the biggest reason golf is not "Sticking" with many of those who play it.... as it did in the past is due to the changes in feel, interaction and even the sound of game.

Walking a golf course is GOING to make you feel better over time. It's great for your health and it was a ritualistic form of exercise that has disappeared for all but a select few.

One of the things that kept me playing was the feel of good strikes with a persimmon and especially blade long irons. It's addictive. That wonderful feeling of a balata coming off a persimmon or a long iron is a wonderful feeling that is GONE in today's version.

As humans, we have not quite yet evolved into computer based cyborgs, instead, we still feel things through our senses. Touch and feel through the hands, the sound of the balata golf ball coming off the face, the feel of steel spikes gripping the earth properly all have had a huge effect on the overall experience. The aesthetic look of the clubs, particularly a finely crafted persimmon made of organic material, not synthetic... refinished like a piece of fine furniture is going to give a player a different sense of pride and uniqueness than pulling out a modern frying pan driver that lacks those qualities.

The visual flight of the balata ball is much more interesting and beautiful really than the lower spinning plastic balls... let alone the clicky sound of modern balls compared to the whoosh of balata.

A lot of this is probably a byproduct of the modern age in general. Sitting down with a good friend in person for a conversation over a good cup of coffee or tea compared to the impersonal nature of texting.... might be an example.
Both could communicate the basic concepts of conversation, but these are two very different experiences... with often different outcomes.

I think there is some confusion over an era obsessed with convenience vs one more concerned with quality. Convenience in and of itself may not be a proper substitution for quality across the boards.

Great post, Lag. I'm going to call this one, "Zen and the Art of Persimmon Maintenance," with a tip of the cap to Robert Pirsig.

I'll tell you something else that's addictive: looking up after feeling/hearing that solid persimmon strike and seeing another drive split the fairway. That never gets old.

It's been a little over a year since I committed to using persimmon exclusively. At the time, it was a stubborn determination to master what was a very difficult club for me to use. But I believed that in it lay the path to improvement. Now, I am convinced of that.

A long time playing partner asked me the other week, "How long are you going to keep playing that old s***?"

My reply, "I guess until I get tired of beating you."
20 Mule Team

Return to The Persimmon Age (Steel)