McGregor "Rise and Fall" (Golfweek)

McGregor "Rise and Fall" (Golfweek)

Postby lagpressure » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:37 am

lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: McGregor "Rise and Fall" (Golfweek)

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:30 pm

"MacGregor scored its final hit in 1986 with the ZT Response, an unconventional, oversized putter designed by Clay Long, which became an overnight sensation when Nicklaus used it to win the Masters that year. The company took 5,000 orders for it the Monday morning after his victory and sold 350,000 units before discontinuing the model."

Lame. Herds of people clamoring for advantage over skill.

“The survivors in this game right now . . . are Wall Street brands,” Norman said. “We got out while we could.”

For the good of the game.

I'm no communist, but it's really shameful that the guys in charge of the game let it get ruined by people who don't even play.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby lagpressure » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:13 am

A persimmon, balata and blades tour is all that needs to happen.

Not that hard of an undertaking, outside of getting some financing to do it. The courses are already there. There would be great interest in
it I'm sure. Great story and content for the media. Brings back all the historical relevance. Plenty of blades and persimmon in abundance.
The game doesn't need to be run by equipment companies.... that has been proven by seeing all the other corporate sponsorship of the game
that are not directly equipment related.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:17 pm

I saw a guy with Waste Management logo on his chest playing a tournament today.

Who has the choice to even be a customer of Waste Management? Come on!

About a persimmon tour - I think courses would be the sponsors, not equipment makers. Or if there is some kind of professional association for old club repair.
Courses could benefit from sponsorship through publicity, making the case for their 'short' lengths.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Return to The Persimmon Age (Steel)