True Zero Offset--An ARIAS Iron review

True Zero Offset--An ARIAS Iron review

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:17 am

Hello All,

I finally purchased a set of ARIAS (http://www.truezerooffset.com) irons, 4-PW. This is a quick review of the product thus far...enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: I am a firm believer in zero offset/onset. I will be as neutral as possible when discussing these clubs--but know I was biased before purchasing, knowing the advantage of zero offset and my release pattern.

INTRODUCTION:
I have had these clubs for roughly 3 weeks now, and I must say they are working out far better than expected. I won't belabor the point too much, but I will say that using advanced ball striking technique in unison with these clubs has provided me with very interesting results. I have averaged 16/18 GIR, 26.7 feet proximity over the last few rounds with these clubs . Easiest 60's rounds I've ever shot, minus the 34 putt 71 I shot in the middle of the week. Hard to say if it's the chicken or egg...but I had not broken 70 all year before getting these clubs.

ADDRESS--AESTHETICS
PROS: Thin top lines and ease of aim are the pro's when it comes to the setup of these clubs. Small adjustments to face angle can be made with ease, while never losing your target awareness. The look of the club at address really inspires confidence. Bounce and leading edge inspire confidence on hard and soft course conditions.
CONS: Top line could be thinner but I've been playing blades for over 20 years now, so personal preference here. Would like a sharper leading edge in the shorter irons, but again--more a preference based on my style of play from 175 and in.

PLAYABILITY/YARDAGE/ETC.
PROS: I can now work the ball both ways much more consistently and with advanced refinement. With offset I always struggled to hit a fully released fade, now it's effortless. This has also helped with my confidence approaching tucked pins. Working the ball from the center towards a tucked pin is an advantage I never fully capitalized on with offset. This has given me an extra 10 yards per club minimum, excellent launch and spin rates (previously I had too low launch and spin rates with mid- long irons), etc. Bottom Line: I'm getting much more out of my technique now and swinging through the ball instead of at it.
CONS: No offset can lead to a huge pull if you get steep (30+ yards with a 6 iron). However, once you pull one...it just doesn't happen anymore. It seems the feedback is so clear that your subconscious makes an instant adjustment. Even though I have this random huge mishit on the range, it never happens on the course...so, hard to say what this is yet. It is concerning when thinking forward to tournaments, but I believe this is just old swing DNA from playing offset for too many years.

RESULTS/COURSE DATA

PROS: Ball stops better than ever. Trajectory control gives me so many more options when facing tougher pin positions, wind, hazards, etc. The higher launch and spin rates have improved my proximity to the hole by 7 feet too. My mizuno MP 69's had a tendency to roll out a bit more than I liked. The more I practice with these clubs, the better my technique/results seems to get. This is how it is supposed to be right? LOL...
CONS: Ball goes too far sometimes, but it still holds the green when it does. There must be a microscopic hot spot on the face of the club, because occasionally I fly my target by 5-10 yards. It could be an address/delofting thing since offset does help you set the face angle/loft more INTUITIVELY, but I feel like it's something else. I have been happy to see it hold greens even when this happens though...so there is that. Just a bit frustrating...OF NOTE: This doesn't happen at all with softer balls. Seems the premium Pro V1 equivalent does not have this problem, but the Pro V1X does. Still working through this to know if it's the clubs or balls.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:
1. Hitting them off mats is not a pleasant experience
2. Hitting them off grass gives you a forged feeling at impact, but not old school "heavy hit" forged. Think TM MC's...circa 2005ish.
3. Mishits fly full distance with most of the spin.
4. Sweet spot is elongated due to cavity design, but you have no issues with feedback. You know exactly where you hit it when you hit it good or bad. None of that confusing modern alloy crap...just clear precise feedback.
5. Precision aiming is possible and far more consistent than it was with offset. Again, I improved my proximity by 7 feet--just by switching my clubs.

That's really all I have for now...please leave any questions you may have.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Re: True Zero Offset--An ARIAS Iron review

Postby LesMurray » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:49 am

Nice review. Concise report on how they perform for you.

Can you go into details on some of the specs? Details like which shafts, tip size, flex, lie and loft angles, weights?

Looking at the website, lofts look to be only 2* stronger than Lag's specs. However, lie angles are 9*-10* more upright.

Thanks.
LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:38 pm

p2.jpeg
p2.jpeg (46.25 KiB) Viewed 649 times
p1.jpeg
p1.jpeg (133.7 KiB) Viewed 647 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Ded2Journey » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:49 am

LesMurray wrote:Nice review. Concise report on how they perform for you.

Can you go into details on some of the specs? Details like which shafts, tip size, flex, lie and loft angles, weights?

Looking at the website, lofts look to be only 2* stronger than Lag's specs. However, lie angles are 9*-10* more upright.

Thanks.

THANK YOU LAG...I have a bunch of pictures I'd love to share, I could to email them to someone with the means to post these. My phone just isn't capable...

Les,

Thanks for the kind words. I honestly feel like these clubs are the best options for the modern ball and ABS technique...and I wanted everyone here to know that. I paid for these clubs, so I don't gain anything from this...I'm just happy to find clubs that show me the truest potential of the last 6 years of work. Unfortunately, vintage blades and the modern ball just don't mix well...

I am using a Project X LZ 6.0, 355-370 bore (depends on tipping), progressive lie angles (2-8 degrees flat), Lag posted the lofts. We did progressive flexes, lie angles, lofts, and swingweights...so every club was individualized for it's particular purpose in my game.

We had no problem flattening every club to spec...if that was your worry. Lofts are set at Mizuno spec +/- 1 degree for my personal reasons.

Here are the BASELINE specs I built them to (I've made slight adjustments since):

Iron Length Lie Loft

4 39.25 54 24
5 38.75 55 27
6 38.25 56 30
7 37.75 57 34
8 37.25 58 38
9 36.75 59 42
pw 36.5 60 46

Hope this helps...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby LesMurray » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:06 am

D2J, you can send me your pics. I'll PM you my email address.

Les
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:00 am

So they sold you just the heads? I was wondering about that since only built irons show up on the website.
k2baloo

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:22 pm

k2baloo wrote:So they sold you just the heads? I was wondering about that since only built irons show up on the website.

K2,

No, sorry for the confusion. Arias does make exceptions for competitive skilled amateur/professional golfers, but that's a one on one thing with them. I was fortunate, after a lot of begging. LOL...you'd have to reach out.

I meant to speak with Les before posting the pictures but I was in a hurry. He sold them to me dismantled so I could build each club individually. It was more a shipping issue than anything, so to save us the fret I had them built locally. Please understand this was an exception to the rule because of the strict tolerances I was asking for--we didn't want to cause unnecessary back and forth. However, if you are looking for a standard build without my progressive setup, they can take care of you easy. We corresponded more than expected, they really know their stuff and taught me a thing or two about modern metallurgy, etc. The owner worked with Tom Wishon for quite sometime, and I was impressed to say the least. He's a quality first guy, and I really needed the attention to detail...For what it's worth. Cool stuff. Anywho...hope that clears things up.
Ded2Journey

Postby LesMurray » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:20 pm

Here are a few more pictures from D2J, with his permission to post.

LesMurray

Return to Technology and the Titanium Age