adding weight to latest Drivers

Re: adding weight to latest Drivers

Postby NRG » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:31 am

Roughly speaking a titanium head is about the same weight as a persimmon head, not much has changed over the years, the grips are the pretty much the same too. It's the shaft where they have saved all the weight and the easiest place to look to add weight and make your driver in line with the rest of your set.
NRG

Postby Jollysammy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:12 pm

My son plays his 910D3 8.5 with a Rogue 110MSI 70 shaft at 46inches, the Golfsmith guy said it was too long, but it ended up as a D6 and my son hits it about 270-290 with a relaxed swing.
Jollysammy

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:43 am

Jollysammy wrote:My son plays his 910D3 8.5 with a Rogue 110MSI 70 shaft at 46inches, the Golfsmith guy said it was too long, but it ended up as a D6 and my son hits it about 270-290 with a relaxed swing.

That Rogue 110 is AWESOME! A friend of mine has it in his Callaway...you can really feel the lag and pressure at the bottom. It forces you to accelerate very late, I love it!
As soon as I free up some cash, I"m going to find one to put in my J33R...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Jollysammy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:10 am

if you like the Rogue 110MSI, you'll love the 125MSI.

Just got a 125MSI 70 tour X this weekend plays 44 7/8 in the 910D3 head. Lighter than the 110MSI but straight as can be.

It's probably playing at D1 which is lite for my son, so I'm trying to add more weight to the head and see what happens.
Jollysammy

Postby Jollysammy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:30 am

I had the MSI125 Rogue shaft and 910D3 8.5 measured and it came up D4. Which is fine for now.

I'm thinking more and more about doing my own club work. Over the years it's gotten so difficult to have golf stores do the work to my specifications for my son. Some even refused to bend the clubs flatter or do what I wanted, I now have my own Scotland bender to bend his irons to 3-4 degrees flat. His favorite set of irons are D6 Titleists with X100 sensicores in them. The guy at Golfsmith kept telling me that there's nobody playing irons and drivers at D6, and yet I watch my son placing 5,6 and 7 irons to within 2 feet on par 3s and hitting 270-300 yd drives. I've come to the conclusion that these guys have no clue when it comes to a hitter and guys that don't slice.

2 days ago my son is telling me about his friend on the high school golf team who's trying to make the team who shot a 68 for 9 holes at Crystal Springs. He's known him for 3 years, last year he gets fitted for Ping G20s at a local well known store. They put him into Green dots with Regular flex shaft that are 1 inch shorter than standard. Cutting the shaft also made the set swingweight at about c6-c8. This kid has been taking lessons once a week for 3 years.

So my son plays with him for 9 holes and realizes that the kid is playing a hook, hitting 30 degrees right of center to try and stay on the fairway. My son tells me this, I look up the Ping color code and realize that Green Dots are 2.5 degrees upright, and that even the Ping chart would have this kid playing Orange dots that are 2.5 degrees flat. So this fitter put him into clubs that even Ping says are 5 degrees upright than where he should be. He hits my son's blades which are 3.5 degrees flat D-6, and bam, straight down the middle, no hook. The kid is the same size as my son.

What stuns me is that this kid not only gets fitted wrong, his golf coach pro has him swinging this way for a year. Doesn't the pro realize what that kid is going through? Or is he just happy to get those weekly lesson checks? It boggles my mind.

I've been fitting my own son for the past 3 years, and by trial and error we've arrived at x-flex shafts, heavier equipment and heavier swingweights. Its the reason he plays muscleback blades. And this is before I came to this website that has helped to confirm our findings.

I know these other kids are being trained as swingers, but I can't help but feel that situations like this are not as rare as I would think, this poor kid is depending on advice that has seemingly led him astray.

My other pet peeve is that we have a lot of vintage clubs that I bought to see how they perform with his swing, Hogan Redlines, Grinds, Wilson Staffs baby bullets, tour blades. Colorkoms, 985s, 945s and others. They perform great, he can't use them however for any tournaments because they are not "conforming" or in actuality have not been tested to make the conforming list. Which means a kid is mostly stuck using modern gear for junior tournaments. And a lot of this modern gear, even though it is so-called "forged" is not the same old way of forging and is quite brittle when bent, seems there are now short cuts that can still qualify for the term "forged".
Jollysammy

Postby stevemcgee99 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:39 pm

'Forged' can mean 'pressed', essentially...

Golf is not the only place where people can be given completely wrong advice. Or if not false / incorrect info it's the wrong advice given the situation. I'm a consultant which includes training and there is a LOT of completely bogus stuff out there, with certifications, etc.

When you have a situation where doing something 'wrong' turns out results that are 'straight down the middle' - it's time to ignore the advice!
McGee
stevemcgee99

Previous

Return to Technology and the Titanium Age