Golfwrx article: alternative view on bifurcation

Re: Golfwrx article: alternative view on bifurcation

Postby nfbandon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:44 pm

Yeah, I did get a kick sitting in that El Camino...as long as I held on tight! The feel, the sound, the smell...made me feel young again.

I don't want to be an ol' naysayer regarding technology, but we can be smart about it. There is room for craftsmanship in our computer driven world. Admiring a well made mechanical instrument...a vintage car, motorcycle, a mechanical swiss watch, musical instrument...is a great pleasure. Funny I picked up Zen and Motorcycle Maintenance again after 20 years. Good stuff.

This site has the potential to be something much bigger and better than it is. Some really great folks on here it seems. I hope we can make it more active...and maybe have some ABS golfing outings with John in our future. There is always the cost issue, but it would be really fund to get 11 of us together at a classic site, pay John's way and compensate him for some instruction and have some fun.
nfbandon

Postby Paul C » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:33 pm

'This site has the potential to be something much bigger and better than it is.'

Been thinking a lot about that lately. This site is incredibly rich in information, stuff found nowhere else. I find myself going back to re-read the genesis threads. I still glean so much from them.

I think it's time for another epic thread on ballstriking to come into creation. It's difficult, though, I suspect, to keep the discourse at that high a level as the site gets older. Sometimes I think actually it's all been said here, you just have to search for it. Sometimes, though I think we've only scratched the surface.

I guess it's for the Major Domo to decide...
Paul C

Postby nfbandon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:00 pm

Well I know the site has worldwide breadth, but the ABS "get togethers" with Lag is an idea I am going to keep throwing out there. You can only learn so much online.
nfbandon

Postby Craig Toone » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Its just like that classic psychology question about would you like to earn 100k a year but everyone else 125k, or 75k and everyone else 50....

people want to outdrive their mates. Raising everyones distance off the tee won't help. Attitudes & ego's will just be the same, the ball will just go further....offline
Craig Toone

Postby bullrambler » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:28 pm

I would add that older courses usually have dog legs built in to some of the fairways and with old growth trees on the course means that one can not always use the Big Dog off of the tee. A good 4,3, or 2 iron is a pleasure to hit because when hit effectively will usually go a bit farther then one may think it will. And it will stay in the fairway.

As a case in point... I used to play a course with a 340 yard par 4 hole. My buddy always asked me why I didn't hit driver, and follow-up with an L wedge. Well at that time a 300 yard drive was very do-able, but there was a creek in front of the green that was about 10 yards wide. And landing there was always a real possibility. So with the 4 iron off the tee I could follow up with a PW. So hitting the 4 iron with authority - and following up with a PW - hit with authority was a do-able and repeatable task. I got my share of birdies on that hole and others often ended up at awkward yardages and struggled to make par. And with Pars or better to win I played that hole to win.
"It clobbering Time"
bullrambler

Postby norcalvol » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:52 pm

A good 4,3, or 2 iron is a pleasure to hit...

Check.

...because when hit effectively will usually go a bit farther then one may think it will....

√√ Double-Check.

...And it will stay in the fairway.

√√√ CHECKMATE!
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Previous

Return to Technology and the Titanium Age