USGA and R&A Ban Anchored Putting

Re: USGA and R&A Ban Anchored Putting

Postby Knightwriter » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:58 am

lagpressure wrote:
k2baloo wrote:It's not a long putter ban, it's an anchoring ban.
I haven't watched any golf yet this year so I don't know if it's made a difference.
They should have just restricted putter length as that would be much easier to enforce.

I've heard it suggested somewhere that if the putter was required to be the shortest club in the bag, that would solve a lot of the issues. Seems it would.

I don't like the long putters at all, and feel they never should have been allowed in the first place, but I feel the same about the frying pan drivers giant heads. It's a big break from traditional clubs that came before... for decades.

Obviously the ruling bodies don't care about traditions. They did however care for a very long time. Something changed as we know. Lot's of fingers to point at.

I see both sides of the argument, but personally I am glad they are banned. Wish the frying pans would be banned next because their impact on the game is much more substantial than the long putters.

How many more putts a round are the long putting guys making statistically? I mean hard facts?

How much extra yardage is the frying pan driver giving the guys? I think that difference is much more substantial and impacting upon the game. That should be the real concern.

I agree with everything you've said there.
Knightwriter

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:15 pm

apples2967 wrote:Could not agree more Lag

Playing last week in a Pro Am, course set up off the tips. I played my persimmons, and played the course as designed. An example :

The 10th hole, 400m, 440 yards, played in driving rain. Off the tee, a pond right, trees left. The green as big as a napkin.

I played driver, them flushed a 5 iron inside 10 feet. The Pro hit driver , then a wedge. I said to him as we walked off that green, " do u think the architect imagined wedges to this hole"
He said. "this green so small, i dont know how u hit it from back there"

Saddens me no end how they have ruined this once great game

Steve

The good news is that it's not ruined for you or for me, or any others who prefer the game as it was intended. It's still out there to be fully enjoyed as always. Now at a professional level, or more specifically the pro tours, it's been ruined for anyone who enjoyed the traditional game, either playing or as a spectator. Not sure I will even watch The Masters this year... not out of spite or to prove a point, but just not interested. I do miss watching the great tracks played by the world's best players and all the nuance and articulations that are now missing.

But as a player who plays to enjoy the game, teach etc, it's still out there. It's just missing the higher spinning balata ball.
I do miss that, but I still enjoying playing and the challenge of using all the clubs in my bag as they were intended. I hope a traditional tour evolves at some point. We tried a few years ago, so hopefully that may inspire others to get that going. I would like to be involved in something like that if the great game rises again. We will see.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby LesMurray » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:25 am

lagpressure wrote:
But as a player who plays to enjoy the game, teach etc, it's still out there. It's just missing the higher spinning balata ball.
I do miss that, but I still enjoying playing and the challenge of using all the clubs in my bag as they were intended. I hope a traditional tour evolves at some point. We tried a few years ago, so hopefully that may inspire others to get that going. I would like to be involved in something like that if the great game rises again. We will see.

Speaking of the balata ball, how goes your efforts to get a manufacturer to produce a new balata ball?
LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:24 am

Three failed attempts. The balls they sent us back were not anywhere near what we were looking for.
Ron thinks the engineers over there just have no concept of making a soft cover ball that doesn't fly as far. It's
just too bizarre of a concept for them to actually make. In their heads the ball has to fly far and the cover can't cut for example.

I would say the balls were a bit better than the modern rock balls, but not enough to want to order 10,000 of them. I'd have to really
love the ball to want to commit to that kind of inventory. For me they would be for personal use and for the guys hitting persimmon and playing
tradtional golf.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Technology and the Titanium Age