USGA and R&A Ban Anchored Putting

Re: USGA and R&A Ban Anchored Putting

Postby Knightwriter » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:06 am

Great info.

Do you know if the Titleist 975d (260cc) and 975j is (312cc) are both at maximum COR?
Knightwriter

Postby Knightwriter » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:16 am

I'm looking at maybe purchasing one of those.
Knightwriter

Postby k2baloo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:33 am

I pulled this from a thread at GolfWRX
the cor of the 975d was :78, there was no trampoline effect, and this is a standard perpulsion rate for a solid material beyond a certian hardness, a persimmon wood is also around .78

the 975j was .82

the jvs and lfe were the last titleist drivers short of the .83 max cor, clocking in at .825
k2baloo

Postby Knightwriter » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:13 am

k2baloo wrote:I pulled this from a thread at GolfWRX
the cor of the 975d was :78, there was no trampoline effect, and this is a standard perpulsion rate for a solid material beyond a certian hardness, a persimmon wood is also around .78

the 975j was .82

the jvs and lfe were the last titleist drivers short of the .83 max cor, clocking in at .825

Really appreciate that mate.
Knightwriter

Postby lagpressure » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:31 am

The long putter ban is now in effect...
Any news or updates or interesting commentary?
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Knightwriter » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:19 am

Very glad I'll never have to look at those contraptions ever again.

It also makes bad putters have to putt the normal way and maybe struggle more than they do with the long one. So it's all good imo. :D
Knightwriter

Postby k2baloo » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:58 am

It's not a long putter ban, it's an anchoring ban.
I haven't watched any golf yet this year so I don't know if it's made a difference.
They should have just restricted putter length as that would be much easier to enforce.
k2baloo

Postby Knightwriter » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:11 pm

I'm not being funny, well maybe I am, but you can't really restrict putter length because there are some giants in society.

Some dudes are over 7 foot and will need something that will stick into another man's belly.

There are also people with giantism, human growth hormone abnormalties and grow over 8 foot. :D

It's not the length that is the issue its the anchoring. That's why Adam Scott isn't just holding it out away from his chest. That doesn't work.
Knightwriter

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:17 am

k2baloo wrote:It's not a long putter ban, it's an anchoring ban.
I haven't watched any golf yet this year so I don't know if it's made a difference.
They should have just restricted putter length as that would be much easier to enforce.

I've heard it suggested somewhere that if the putter was required to be the shortest club in the bag, that would solve a lot of the issues. Seems it would.

I don't like the long putters at all, and feel they never should have been allowed in the first place, but I feel the same about the frying pan drivers giant heads. It's a big break from traditional clubs that came before... for decades.

Obviously the ruling bodies don't care about traditions. They did however care for a very long time. Something changed as we know. Lot's of fingers to point at.

I see both sides of the argument, but personally I am glad they are banned. Wish the frying pans would be banned next because their impact on the game is much more substantial than the long putters.

How many more putts a round are the long putting guys making statistically? I mean hard facts?

How much extra yardage is the frying pan driver giving the guys? I think that difference is much more substantial and impacting upon the game. That should be the real concern.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby apples2967 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:44 am

Could not agree more Lag

Playing last week in a Pro Am, course set up off the tips. I played my persimmons, and played the course as designed. An example :

The 10th hole, 400m, 440 yards, played in driving rain. Off the tee, a pond right, trees left. The green as big as a napkin.

I played driver, them flushed a 5 iron inside 10 feet. The Pro hit driver , then a wedge. I said to him as we walked off that green, " do u think the architect imagined wedges to this hole"
He said. "this green so small, i dont know how u hit it from back there"

Saddens me no end how they have ruined this once great game

Steve
apples2967

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and the Titanium Age