If you had to choose a blade...

If you had to choose a blade...

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:02 pm

Ok, looking to build a "practice" set of clubs...did a search and couldn't find any info.
The plan is to set these clubs up ultra flat for practice purposes only.

I'm looking for the technology that provides the best feedback, but I don't want to spend a ton of money.
Choices below, please weigh in. Thank you ahead of time!

1. Mizuno MP-14
2. Mizuno MP-33
3. Titleist 660's
4. Titleist 690's
5. Hogan Apex 73'
6. Mizuno T-Zoid Sure

Later,
Jeremy
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Re: If you had to choose a blade...

Postby TheCrow » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:00 pm

TheCrow

Postby LesMurray » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:16 pm

Ebay is full of great clubs from which to build a practice set. I bought two sets already - '76 Wilson Staffs and -69 MT Tourneys (split soles). Got each of them for less than $100. Spent another $200 to have them bent, regripped, and reshafted. There are lots of models of Staffs, MacGregors, Spauldings, Titlists, Hogans, etc., though the Hogans tend to be a little more expensive. Also, Lag has several nice sets for sale currently - already to ABS spec.
LesMurray

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:47 am

The Crow/readers,

After looking into all these clubs I have to ask a couple of questions. Once again, tried to do a search...no luck

Why not Hogan Apex, Apex II, or Redlines?
I understand today's blades are slightly offset, but based on what I've read about offset--0.1 degree offset is not really a big deal. Maybe I mis-interpreted Lag's explanation???

Thanks,
J
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby LesMurray » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:42 am

Lot's of people like those Hogans. I have a set of Hogan Apex BH Grinds from 1990 and I love them. My only issue is they are about an ounce lighter than what I play now. Many folks on here play the Redlines and the Apexes. Only thing I see is that on eBay Hogan clubs command a premium over the Macs and Wilsons.

BTW, I played with a guy yesterday who says he has a set of left handed Hogans. I will take a look and see if they are anything someone on here would want.
LesMurray

Postby TheCrow » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:53 am

I play the Redlines.

If you're just looking for a practice set then there are endless options on ebay. Buying them cheap is the easy part. Finding someone local to set them up to ABS specs is the challenge.
TheCrow

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:24 pm

Well folks, I found a deal I couldn't refuse and I picked up 3 sets of irons that I think are going to do GREAT things. I do have a few questions, hoping someone can help me answer.

I now have in my possession:
Macgregor Jack Nicklaus Murfield irons
Macgregor Jack Nicklaus Personal Irons
Macgregor Jack Nicklaus Slazenger Irons (U.S. Open)

Here are my questions:

1. It appears all irons above a pitching wedge are about 1/2" short, was this normal at this period of time? Should I consider throwing in new shafts? Is this difficult for a typical clubfitter to do?
2. I now have a 1 iron, which is really a 2 iron in today's standards, but the grip is falling apart. Can I do a standard grip replacement on the older clubs without and special tricks?
3. Due to the age, should I be concerned with flattening the lies on any of these?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Ded2Journey

Postby 20 Mule Team » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:11 pm

"Here are my questions:

1. It appears all irons above a pitching wedge are about 1/2" short, was this normal at this period of time? Should I consider throwing in new shafts? Is this difficult for a typical clubfitter to do?
2. I now have a 1 iron, which is really a 2 iron in today's standards, but the grip is falling apart. Can I do a standard grip replacement on the older clubs without and special tricks?
3. Due to the age, should I be concerned with flattening the lies on any of these?"

1. Yes - I believe your irons are going to be from the late 60's where most sets started with a 39" 2 iron. In the 40's - mid 60's you'd have 38.5"; by the mid to late 70's you'll find the 2 iron has grown to 39.5". If it bothers you you can either A) re-shaft - expensive but not especially difficult, B) add extensions when you regrip, or C) adjust the lie angle 1* upright to compensate. Steel shafts do not wear out, assuming they have not been exposed to the ravages of oxidation. So if the weight and stiffness suits you go with it. I have a set of '62 Wilsons with the original shafts and they are fan-damn-tastic. One other note: in the past shaft flexes were named different. If yours say stiff they're like a modern x-stiff; R is like a modern stiff.
2. Do they have leather grips? If so, there is the possibility you'll find something squirrelly but otherwise there should be nothing to a regrip. In my opinion, classic clubs with original grips are just a novelty; classic clubs, fitted property, and with new grips are bad-ass golf tools.
3. They will actually be much easier to bend, due to being true forgings made from a softer metal. I've bent some old clubs as much as 8 degrees with no problems. The newer forgings are much harder to bend, more brittle, and prone to snapping.

Congratulations on your purchase. If you want to master your craft you have to use tools that provide proper feedback. I discovered classic blades about a year ago, can't believe I wasted so many years playing new junk.
20 Mule Team

Postby bullrambler » Sun May 15, 2016 12:33 pm

My view would be go older then the MP14 as it is not very old (94-98) - but it did have weaker lofts then a lot of the contemporaries of the same period. I played them because the PW was 50* and I needed less loft to hit it about 135 (in my younger days). Pings typically had a 47* PW; as did a lot of other sets. Hogans IMO have soft shafts - mid kick point. Unless you find a set with #5 shafts. Many of the older sets will either need a re-shaft or an extension. The more vintage irons are easier to bend. The older MacGregors are easier to find, and bend nicely. My favorite set (back in the day) was Spalding Top Flite bird over ball but they were mid 1980s and not bendable to any great extent. These would not likely work with abs-ing. The older the better for abs modifications.
"It clobbering Time"
bullrambler

Return to Technology and the Titanium Age