Best driver shafts?

Best driver shafts?

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:39 am

I'm sure that this has been discussed before in one of the other forums but I couldn't specifically find it called out on google or in ABS search function. So, I'd like to have a quick discussion about Dynamic Gold X 100, 200, and 300 shafts.

Which one is best for the driver and ABS protocol?
Anyone experiment with the lengths? Preference?

Im looking to throw one in a Bridgestone J33r I had laying around for fun...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Re: Best driver shafts?

Postby LesMurray » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:13 am

John has discussed actually using iron shafts for his drivers. And also, I believe he would recommend the heaviest and stiffest shaft you can find.
LesMurray

Postby nfbandon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:42 am

Be careful putting a really stiff steel shaft in a lightweight modern driver. Any of those shafts are fine for ABS, and old shafts that are great are Hogan Apex 5 shaft and McGregor Tourney or Tour Action 1 or A or the Pro-pel 1 shafts. You would need to add a lot of lead tape to the head, at which point why not just use a persimmon? I really think the modern heads require a graphite shaft, but to maximize their effectiveness you will not be able to use strict ABS protocols because there is no weight in the head and thus no feel in the hands.
nfbandon

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:14 am

Grady,

I'm sure I'm going to find that just playing a persimmon is equitable, but I've got a few Titanium drivers laying around. Figured I would do a little experimentation...

I ended up tipping (2") an S300 steel wood shaft to 43.5". It's the same set-up tiger used on his old cobra driver from 95 I think. Either way, thank you for the feedback...an X100 may have been too stiff.
Plus, the bridgestone J33r has a weight compartment right behind the sweetspot. It's about 1/4" in diameter, figure I could fit a lot of tungsten powder in there!
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby NRG » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:54 am

X100, X200 & X300 are all much of a muchness. IIRC The 200 is 2 gms heavier than the 100, 300 2 gms heavier and that's it. I doubt you will find the wood shaft too stiff even if you do all of the trimming from the tip end and play it at 43". I've tipped them about 6" with no problems.
NRG

Postby k2baloo » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:11 pm

I put an x300 in an old cobra 350 from around 2003. I tipped it a little but can't remember how much. I have gamed it for 2 years now and like it quite a bit.
Club length is 43.5 and that seems to work just fine too
k2baloo

Postby nfbandon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:42 am

Speaking of shafts I was looking at a persimmon driver on ebay with a TT T400 shaft. Anyone know what that is? I can't find any information on it.
nfbandon

Postby NRG » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:59 am

fat fingers?
NRG

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:44 pm

Just got the driver back today...well, there is something to be said about adding weight to a club. I only missed one fairway on the front 9 at my course today. I never felt rushed at the top because I FELT (READ AGAIN--FELT! ) the heaviness of the club in my hands. I knew where the face was...it was such a wonderful feeling. It is the same feeling with persimmon, but I only have a 3w at the moment to play with.

The only negative--a titanium driver with a steel shaft (tipped 4") sounds like complete crap. It literally sounds like a "frying pan"...TWAAAAIIIIINNNNNGGGG...horrible.

No measurable loss of distance, I was still hitting within one club of my usual approach irons.

ONE HUGE POSITIVE: I could really feel post impact acceleration. I thought I was never going to get it, but I finally felt it today...anyway, just thought I would share.
Ded2Journey

Return to Technology and the Titanium Age