Nunchuk shafts

Nunchuk shafts

Postby Knightwriter » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:14 pm

Has anybody here tried the nunchuk shaft?

It appears to be much more in line with the ABS philosophy than other driver and wood shafts. It is 104g and very tip stiff. They also advise to cut it down to 44" or even lower to get the full benefit of the shaft.

It is spine aligned evenly so it bends the same in all directions.

It is also counter weighted, which makes weighting the head probably a requirement as well. I believe two of the guys with ABS type ideas and very good players on secret in the dirt, Martin Ayers and Lee Comeaux, both love it.
Knightwriter

Re: Nunchuk shafts

Postby Mashie72 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:00 pm

I like going to this guy's site for nerdy answers..They may or may not be correct but at least he has one from an engineering perspective

http://www.tutelman.com/golf/shafts/Nunchuk.php
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby lagpressure » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:40 am

It sounds like it might be working off the principal of the Hogan Vector shaft of the mid 1980's.
I know Hogan himself had great hopes for the vector shaft. The main flex point was up much higher up the shaft, up toward the grip. I would imagine the Vector, while not a heavy shaft circa 1980's, it might be considered a heavy shaft by today's popular (not mine) thinking.

I suspect the Nunchuck might be a revisit to Hogan's Vector idea?
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Knightwriter » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:12 am

Interesting. Are they still around?

The nunchuk is also heavily counterweighted and has a super stiff tip section (which I'd imagine the Vector would also have). Is the Vector counterweighted?
Knightwriter

Postby k2baloo » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:54 am

Hogan shafts weren't that heavy. At least not the Apex, but I don't know anything about the vector. TT DG shafts are heavier.
Apex shafts are like 112-115 grams. Anyone ever weigh vector shafts?
k2baloo

Postby Knightwriter » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:13 pm

There was this email knocking about a set of Hogans clubs someone had and they checked the specs. Apparently 5 degrees flat of standard, but with low swingweights. Other people say his shafts were always very stiff and heavy so maybe that suggests he still had a high deadweight. Maybe he put sand in his shafts or heavily counterweighted or both.

The nunchuks are very counterweighted and heavy by todays standards at 104g (for driver and woods) so maybe Hogan would have liked them.

There are now nunchuk iron shafts as well. They are only 90g, counterweighted but xxx stiff. Pretty weird. I guess you could maybe add a lot of weight to the head, not sure where the advantage comes over steel though. More weight on either end perhaps? Is this a good thing or does it even matter?
Knightwriter

Postby lagpressure » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:06 am

Knightwriter wrote:Interesting. Are they still around?

The nunchuk is also heavily counterweighted and has a super stiff tip section (which I'd imagine the Vector would also have). Is the Vector counterweighted?

Well, one could just put a counter weight plug on the Vector or any shaft for that matter. That's a lot easier than manufacturing a new shaft.

Are the Nunchuk shafts just plugged with a counter weight or is there actually more shaft material (mass) engineered into the shaft itself under the grip? I can't see it mattering too much either way.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Knightwriter » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:27 am

lagpressure wrote:
Knightwriter wrote:Interesting. Are they still around?

Well, one could just put a counter weight plug on the Vector or any shaft for that matter. That's a lot easier than manufacturing a new shaft.

Are the Nunchuk shafts just plugged with a counter weight or is there actually more shaft material (mass) engineered into the shaft itself under the grip? I can't see it mattering too much either way.

I think it is just way less hollow at either end. The way they pack the butt end makes it have a hefty counterweight.

The shafts are 104g and xxx stiff. I guess using graphite is a way to lower overall weight and put more weight in the head and butt with something stiff enough to handle it.

But yea, I don't know why they didn't just make the shaft with a triple xxx shaft, a flex in the middle and allow you to counterweight if you wanted.

Another feature of the nunchuk is that it has the same spine alignment in all directions and supposedly has far less deformation at the bottom with also less shaft droop.

Perhaps there are some advantages with weighting over steel. I don't know.
Knightwriter

Postby Knightwriter » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:38 pm

I had some correspondence with Tom Wishon recently. Fantastic fella, so knowledgeable and helpful. He really goes the extra mile.

But anyway, he reckons the nunchuks are way too stiff for most people, like XXX flex, and have counterweighting built in so it is hard to measure what the swingweight is in relation to your other clubs.

I'm looking at aerotech shafts for the fairway woods I've ordered from Wishon. The woods will be 4 degrees flat, 53 in the 3 wood and 55 in the 5 wood.

The aerotech shafts are steel on the outside and graphite in the middle. They just appeal to me because they are light enough at 85g not to lose distance and have a lot more stability than pure graphite.

Some good players are now going to the aerotech iron shafts in 75, 85 or 95 grams. Would this be a good idea? I'm guessing abs purists will say no.

A friend of mine, a top young player, plays the 85g with more weight in the head.

If you played a lighter shaft but weighted the head up a bit and the grip up a lot would that give the feel of lightness, but the actual deadweight that helps control?

Low swingweight but a heavy club.

Maybe a silly question, but an idea.
Knightwriter

Postby Stu Carlburger » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:53 pm

Knightwriter,

I have no experience with those shafts that you talk about. However, I have been counter weighting my clubs for years and love the feel. I put 35 gr plugs in the butt end of my irons, along with 4 strips of lead tape under the grip. When people pick up my clubs they always seem confused whether the club is really heavy, or really light. Personally, what I love about them is their over all dead weight is very high, but they feel very balanced and neither butt heavy nor head heavy.

I am going to build another set here soon and I am going to some experimenting with progressive weighting/balance point consistency this time. Basically, I'll determine where I want the balance proportional to shaft length -- say 45% from head to butt -- and weight them appropriately. With the set I am using now I wasn't that precise, and every iron has the same amount of weight in the butt. As such, the balance point moves progressively toward the butt as the heads get lighter.

When I first joined the site I posted a question concerning "Club Shallowing and Counterweighting" and wondered is the counter weighting would inhibit the signature ABS club shallowing in transition. At first, like many, I thought (through observing videos) that it was a passive "club head drop" kinda thing. However, I've since come to realize that it's an active forearm rotation and that any inhibition due to the counterweight is likely negligible.

I'm a dedicated tinkerer, and I'd love to hear about weighting experiments.
Stu Carlburger

Next

Return to Technology and the Titanium Age