Nunchuk shafts

Re: Nunchuk shafts

Postby Knightwriter » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:43 am

Stu Carlburger wrote:Knightwriter,

I have no experience with those shafts that you talk about. However, I have been counter weighting my clubs for years and love the feel. I put 35 gr plugs in the butt end of my irons, along with 4 strips of lead tape under the grip. When people pick up my clubs they always seem confused whether the club is really heavy, or really light. Personally, what I love about them is their over all dead weight is very high, but they feel very balanced and neither butt heavy nor head heavy.

I am going to build another set here soon and I am going to some experimenting with progressive weighting/balance point consistency this time. Basically, I'll determine where I want the balance proportional to shaft length -- say 45% from head to butt -- and weight them appropriately. With the set I am using now I wasn't that precise, and every iron has the same amount of weight in the butt. As such, the balance point moves progressively toward the butt as the heads get lighter.

When I first joined the site I posted a question concerning "Club Shallowing and Counterweighting" and wondered is the counter weighting would inhibit the signature ABS club shallowing in transition. At first, like many, I thought (through observing videos) that it was a passive "club head drop" kinda thing. However, I've since come to realize that it's an active forearm rotation and that any inhibition due to the counterweight is likely negligible.

I'm a dedicated tinkerer, and I'd love to hear about weighting experiments.

This seems to be the most popular counterweighting product: https://www.tourlockgolf.com/product-selection/

He recommends less counterweighting as the clubs get shorter and heavier in the head. Goes with progressive swingweighting or Moi matching.

I might be interested in experimenting with aerotech i85 or i95 iron shafts with heavy heads and counterweighting them as well. It might be a good way to keep deadweight and control, but also increase power.
Knightwriter

Re: Nunchuk shafts

Postby jfischer13 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:06 pm

I have the tour loc system in my irons and woods. They work great and you buy different weight plugs depending on what you want to do.
Joshua Fischer
Osteopathic Golf
Osteopathicgolf.com
Instagram @osteopathicgolf
jfischer13

Previous

Return to Technology and the Titanium Age