Shorter driver shaft length and distance

Re: Shorter driver shaft length and distance

Postby norcalvol » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby norcalvol » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:47 pm

Ded2Journey wrote:...How do you feel about 43"?

http://www.golf.com/equipment/famous-fi ... ning-clubs

This article talks about Nicklaus and mentions that he used a 43-inch driver and later moved to a 43.5-inch driver.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby Knightwriter » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:37 am

1badbadger wrote:I have quite a bit of first-hand experience with this subject, so I'd be happy to share what I've learned. I was a full time professional club builder for 8 years and am going on 9 years as an equipment tech for a major OEM, so I have had the opportunity to work with players of all levels, as well as many different drivers and shafts.

I can say with a high level of confidence that not only do I feel you wouldn't give up any distance by shortening the length of your driver, most players would actually hit the ball longer if they went with a shorter shaft! A lot of people find this hard to believe, but it's true. Many are convinced that a longer shaft will result in more clubhead speed, and it can. But there is another important part to that...ideally the clubhead should reach it's maximum speed right at impact. Players who have a late release can accomplish this, but the majority of players release the club early or somewhere between the two. When the club is released early or a mid release, the maximum speed of the clubhead happens too soon. By the time the club gets to impact, it has actually started to slow down!

So most players aren't increasing their clubhead speed with a longer shaft like they thought. They might actually lose speed. A shorter driver doesn't give up as much swing speed as people think, but even if it's a few MPH, it's negligible. What is gained though is the ability to hit the ball on the screws a higher percentage of the time, and the more often you can do that, the better you will drive the ball. When the ball is hit on the sweet spot, everything gets better...the trajectory is better, accuracy is better and distance is better. Even if a player increased his clubhead speed with a longer driver, the percentage of mishits would increase.

I play my personal drivers between 44-44 1/4" and have for 15 years, and I am much more consistent AND longer than with a driver that is 45"+.

Thanks, that's great.

I found out Sergio is even as short as 43" with his driver and he is still long.
Knightwriter

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:15 pm

1badbadger wrote:What is gained though is the ability to hit the ball on the screws a higher percentage of the time, and the more often you can do that, the better you will drive the ball. When the ball is hit on the sweet spot, everything gets better...the trajectory is better, accuracy is better and distance is better. Even if a player increased his clubhead speed with a longer driver, the percentage of mishits would increase.

I think this is totally important.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby 1badbadger » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:01 am

Ded2Journey wrote:
1badbadger wrote:
I play my personal drivers between 44-44 1/4" and have for 15 years, and I am much more consistent AND longer than with a driver that is 45"+.

Very cool...thanks for sharing! How do you feel about 43"?

Sorry for the delay! I think you would be shocked at how much better you would drive the ball with a 43" driver. The only thing I would caution against is the swingweight. If your driver is currently 45", simply cutting off 2" will reduce the swingweight by 12 points. That's a lot. You won't be able to feel the head, so just be aware that you'll need to take that into consideration. You might need to use lead tape, or if your driver has weight screws you can use heavier ones to get that sw closer to where it was.
1badbadger

Postby k2baloo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:33 am

A good read on Sam Snead's driver
http://persimmongolftoday.org/archives/913

He says he played 72 holes without missing a fairway at one point.

I've been weighing in many persimmons lately and most seen to fall in the 373-380 gram range. Yesterday I weighed this Spalding model 86 that is 404 grams (14.25 ounces). I'm going to have to try playing it a bit.
k2baloo

Previous

Return to Technology and the Titanium Age