Driver lie angles, open face setting

Driver lie angles, open face setting

Postby Knightwriter » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:07 am

This maybe a dumb question, but since a driver doesn't hit the ground does it really need to be at the correct lie angle if we adjust the face open and play with the heel toe weighting?

Let's say you've got an ABS swing and you come in on the same plane as address through the ball. Could you not just open the face on these adjustable drivers and also play with the weights to see what hits it dead straight or what ever flight you like?

See Sergio getting a head fitting for a Taylor Made R11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Wy9lfEoX4
Dustin Johnson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UC4XGDu5oU
Knightwriter

Re: Driver lie angles, open face setting

Postby k2baloo » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:28 am

I guess it depends on why you want a flat lie angle....
If you are just avoiding a left miss, then yes this would work the same. And it takes a more subtle change in face angle than lie angle since there is so little loft on a driver.
However, I imagine some would have other reasons why they want a flat driver, so the face angle change isn't always a perfect substitute.
k2baloo

Postby Knightwriter » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:34 am

k2baloo wrote:I guess it depends on why you want a flat lie angle....
If you are just avoiding a left miss, then yes this would work the same. And it takes a more subtle change in face angle than lie angle since there is so little loft on a driver.
However, I imagine some would have other reasons why they want a flat driver, so the face angle change isn't always a perfect substitute.

Yea, I was thinking along those lines.

I suppose I'm asking if it effects your swing?

If it deteriorates the quality of your swing then it is worth going to more trouble to get the lie angle changed.
Knightwriter

Postby NRG » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:54 am

The less loft that there is on a club, the less important lie angle is. Lie angle wouldn't matter if there was zero loft.

You are better off getting flattened fairway woods.
NRG

Return to Technology and the Titanium Age