Modern lie angles often aren't even as stated!

Modern lie angles often aren't even as stated!

Postby Knightwriter » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:52 pm

I got a set of Titleists recently 690mb blades. Lovely clubs, but when I went to get them bent flatter, the clubfitter told me the 6 iron was at a 63 degree lie angle! It is listed as 61 degrees!

He also told me that anytime he orders from Titleist they give him two degrees more upright than he asked for. He said, 'maybe there is something wrong with my measuring device but I'm almost sure there isn't'.

I've also heard that Titleist have said to fitters that they just send them out 2 degrees up because so many get sent back to be made more upright. I guess modern 'plane' teaching makes that happen.

But its so daft that they not only make standard too upright but then don't even give people what they state on their brocheres, website etc.

Just be straight about it at least anyway!

Has anyone else come across this as well? I hope my clubfitter is measuring accurately because my 6 iron is setup at 58 now. If he 2 degrees out then it is at 56 which may be too much for me imo.
Knightwriter

Re: Modern lie angles often aren't even as stated!

Postby Mashie72 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:21 pm

I have a friend who brought over his Mizzuno blades to be bent flat a few years ago. IIRC, I was shocked how steep the whole set was. But you're right. Bending a modern set flat might still be way off from ABS stuff.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Return to Technology and the Titanium Age