Old blades headweight

Old blades headweight

Postby Knightwriter » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:58 am

How much heavier are old blade heads compared to modern blades? I know modern blades at standard length typically come out at D2. What are the older sets usually? D5?
Knightwriter

Re: Old blades headweight

Postby k2baloo » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:02 am

Lots of info around the site on headweights of older models and it varies a good amount depending on which heads you are looking at.
Many older sets may not have higher swingweights only because the clubs were often shorter. However, in my experience, when you set up older, heavier heads at modern iron lengths the swingweights jump up to the mid to high D range. A lot of the stuff may even jump into the E range.
There is quite a bit of variance though so the best practice is just to weigh the heads and then it's not hard to calculate given the shafts, grips, and length of clubs you are building.
k2baloo

Re: Old blades headweight

Postby Mashie72 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:47 pm

Hey Knightwriter,

Just something to think about. You can obviously make alterations to your own clubs but highly recommended getting an ABS set first. Then decide if it's worth it to go through the bother to make them ABS - like. They might be much different than you could ever imagine. Plus you will know for certain that you are playing the right equipment and can focus on the modules. My standard length ABS driver is a G3 swing weight!
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Return to Technology and the Titanium Age