Best Modern Irons

Best Modern Irons

Postby Stu Carlburger » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:24 pm

I have a question for Lag and the other equipment guys.

In your opinion(s), which modern irons are the best in relation to ABS spec standards? Obviously they would be forged blades, but I am curious if one were looking for a new set which would you guys choose?

I've always loved the look of Mizuno's MP's, and of course the Miura's are very good looking. Anything else out there that you guys think is worth buying and sending to Lag to bend them to ABS specs?

Or is it best to just go with vintage?

Thanks!
Stu Carlburger

Re: Best Modern Irons

Postby LesMurray » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:12 pm

The one criteria that you need to consider before any other is the ability of the metal to be bent. I am not familiar with the current brands and their forgings, but that is what I would look for in a club. We know that modern lie angles are more steep than we like or want, so this becomes an important factor when choosing a club. The other factors such as static weight, loft, swing weight, length, etc can be adjusted more easily. The other criteria I would consider is offset - basically as little offset as possible. This again gets back to the forging so we can add or take out offset to suit the swing. I think it is for this reason more than any other why most of us prefer the older clubs - the malleability to bend the club as we see fit.
LesMurray

Postby Mashie72 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:50 pm

I could be wrong about this but some of the older heads have long necks. For me when bending them flat it is easier to remove the offset if the neck is longer.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby apples2967 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:27 pm

IMO no current gear matches the performance of classic irons. They may have a nice "look" but invariably they will be too upright, too light, with shafts too soft to really apply the principles of ABS.

The fact that the 1 iron BH into the last at Merion,'53 US open, which is now in the World Golf Hall Of Fame and has been measured to be some 8 or so degrees flatter than todays standard, speaks for itself.

Todays gear is rubbish

Steve
apples2967

Postby HelterSkelter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:48 am

I have MP37s and MP67s for playing plus some MP33s that I use for drilling.

I bought the 67s because they were all I could get hold of at a cheap price when I started with Brad and then later got the 37s to play with. But the 67s aren't bad either.

I like them all, there is no problem bending them. I have weighed them all, so know what all the full club static weights were before I lead taped them.

I have also re-shafted some, so I have a note of a few of the head weights too.

The 37s have almost no offset in the longer irons with a small amount in the shorter irons.

The 33s and 67s have a hair more offset in the long irons and very little in the short irons.

All in all there is not much offset in any of those sets.

The 37s are supposed to have a more compact head size, but comparing the long irons 33s to 37s there is not that much in it.
HelterSkelter

Postby Ded2Journey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:39 am

I play MP33's now. I tried modern Titleist blades (too light), the MP 4 and 5's are too clumsy. I chose the MP33's based on the offset, hosel length for flattening and the appearance at set up. These clubs inspire confidence and work well with ABS protocols. I wouldn't recommend anything more modern than that though...it seems that the KBS and PXI shafts cause more issues than the heads though. Stick with S300/X100 shafts.

As a side note: I used 72 Nicklaus Murfields to drill, played many sets of dynapowers, toyed with a few Macgregor sets (partial to the dx1's now that I've hit them). I tried a few scaldings, but didn't like them much. The 65' wilson bullet backs blew my mind, but I still can't shake the feeling of a pure mizuno and prov1 combination...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby k2baloo » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:16 am

I had the original Nike Tour Blades and really liked them - They bend easily too. I wore the faces out and have moved on since (used them for 6 years on sandy soil :cry: ). Currently, my favorite irons are a set of custom 75' dynapowers. You definitely can get some of the modern stuff to ABS specs with a lot of modification, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money when the vintage clubs can be found in good condition for cheap.
There is only so much you can do with a forged blade and I really don't think the new clubs offer much that the vintage ones don't.
k2baloo

Postby norcalvol » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:00 am

I play MP-33's as well... great irons and very easy to bend. You can get them for a song.
Modern Mizunos can be bent as long as they are stamped "forged". The factory will even do that for you (I believe the maximum angle change is 4 degrees). Mizuno standards are also not as upright as other modern makers such as Titleist (1.5 degrees flatter). So, if you were to have the Mizuno factory ship new irons 4 degrees flatter than their stock, they would be 5.5 degrees flatter than Titleist irons.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby Knightwriter » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:44 pm

I got the Titleist 690mb muscle back irons.

I think they were the ones Tiger used before he went to Nike.

Very nice club. There is very low offset in them, from 0.14 in the 2 iron to 0.075 in the pitching wedge.

I had to have them bent 5 degrees to get them to 3 degrees flat of the old standard (as in 6-iron at 58 degrees), but other than that they are great.

At modern standard length they come out at d3, which I think means the heads are heavier than normal modern heads.

However, with my 6 layers of tape under the grip they are currently at d1. I might experiment with adding lead tape and see what swingweight is best for me. Then I could make add some weight to the tip of the shafts.
Knightwriter

Postby mdrretired » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:22 pm

Recommend you look at some of Lag's writing on swing weight vs. dead weight - interesting ideas and I can attest to the effectiveness of his beliefs after a few rounds with him. He likes to get the weight into the head basically and we rarely worry about SW. I can build a 10 pound hammer with a c9 swing weight if you want one. Check it out.
mdrretired

Next

Return to Technology and the Titanium Age