Where to find a flat modern driver?

Re: Where to find a flat modern driver?

Postby Knightwriter » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:18 pm

jfischer13 wrote:Just a heads up. If you take an r11s driver and adjust the sole plate on the bottom to fully open then adjust the shaft adjuster to fully open it drops the lie angle to almost same lie angle as my persimmon 2 wood at lags specs.

I can get a picture up if anyone is interested but i will need to find a protractor.

What does that do to the loft and face angle?
Knightwriter

Postby jfischer13 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:38 am

The small plate on the bottom opens the face. Ive been fairly successful with this driver set up over the last few years. Its not the same as the persimmon but flys about 40 yds longer. I put a project x 7.5 shaft tip trimmed .5 inch. The stiff shaft creates a lower boring ball flight. with my previous shaft (x) stiff 60g I had balooning shots. Its flex matched to my entire set and is weighted heavy. Heaviest weights I could find in the head and some tungsten powder down the shaft. Its a bit of a frankenstein but it Lands in the fairway and it flys about 300 -310 on a perfect contact/swing. The one thing I have noticed is that if I try to accelerate even a just a little to early the club gets more wild and with titanium as well all know those misses are bigger then with persimmon.

I play persimmon on any course <7300 yds or on any course that requires accuracy off the tee. Here in south florida.....its a lot of long flat wide open fairways. Ive found a few courses that set up great for the persimmon but they are few and far between.

Any other questions let me know,
Joshua Fischer
Osteopathic Golf
Osteopathicgolf.com
Instagram @osteopathicgolf
jfischer13

Postby Nolixul » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:08 pm

Posted the info below in another thread:

"Anyone want to go as low as a 42.5 degree lie "modern" driver?: http://www.banggolf.com/prodgroup.asp?cat=DRVTOT

Was developed for seated/wheelchair golfers. There are also similar lie angle fairway "woods"."

I suspect that there are other clubheads around for seated golfers that should be quite flat as well.
Inspired by the "foaming" above, the first forged titanium drivers were I believe developed by S-Yard (Seiko) around 1993 - the T.301 model. They were foam injected so as to mute the sound and promote a sound/feel closer to wooden heads. There were several models produced over the next few years by S-Yard T.501, T.601 etc, all foam injected - fairway woods too. They have some length to the hosels and so are decent candidates for lie adjustment. Having hit a T.301, the feel is indeed soft and the sound is very muted - totally unlike any steel or titanium headed drivers I have hit. Face angles are mostly closed to neutral at best (the NF "Neutral Face" model) so flattening the lies is definitely appropriate.
Nolixul

Postby Knightwriter » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:28 pm

jfischer13 wrote:The small plate on the bottom opens the face. Ive been fairly successful with this driver set up over the last few years. Its not the same as the persimmon but flys about 40 yds longer. I put a project x 7.5 shaft tip trimmed .5 inch. The stiff shaft creates a lower boring ball flight. with my previous shaft (x) stiff 60g I had balooning shots. Its flex matched to my entire set and is weighted heavy. Heaviest weights I could find in the head and some tungsten powder down the shaft. Its a bit of a frankenstein but it Lands in the fairway and it flys about 300 -310 on a perfect contact/swing. The one thing I have noticed is that if I try to accelerate even a just a little to early the club gets more wild and with titanium as well all know those misses are bigger then with persimmon.

I play persimmon on any course <7300 yds or on any course that requires accuracy off the tee. Here in south florida.....its a lot of long flat wide open fairways. Ive found a few courses that set up great for the persimmon but they are few and far between.

Any other questions let me know,

Hi Joshua,

I'm asking when you open the face and shaft adjuster to fully open what does that do to the loft and face angle. Is the club setup square? Is it way open? Is it setup then at a lower or higher loft or the same loft as it was to begin with?

And what is the exact lie angle you are getting?
Knightwriter

Postby jfischer13 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:26 am

When you open the setting up it definitely opens the face. The plate on the bottom allows the club to sit flatter at address. The loft/lie adjustment on the shaft seems to open the face and increase the loft. I reshafted the club so that the shaft, flex, grip, etc all line up square on the most open. I haven't measured the actual lie angle or the face angle. I simply don't have the equipment to do it but the loft and lie look correct to my eye.

A few years ago I talked to the guys at Henry Griffits Golf. They make custom clubs. The owner told me he might have some flat drivers. You might give them a call and see if they have anything for you.
Joshua Fischer
Osteopathic Golf
Osteopathicgolf.com
jfischer13

Postby Knightwriter » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:14 am

Thanks, that's very interesting.
Knightwriter

Postby Knightwriter » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:57 pm

If I wanted a driver with a 50 degree lie angle, a 3 wood with a 54 degree lie angle and a 5 wood with a 56 lie angle is there anyone that would have them right there for me to buy right now?

I'd probably just want the heads because I have my own ideas on shafts that will suit me. Thanks.
Knightwriter

Postby Knightwriter » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:21 am

jfischer13 wrote:When you open the setting up it definitely opens the face. The plate on the bottom allows the club to sit flatter at address. The loft/lie adjustment on the shaft seems to open the face and increase the loft. I reshafted the club so that the shaft, flex, grip, etc all line up square on the most open. I haven't measured the actual lie angle or the face angle. I simply don't have the equipment to do it but the loft and lie look correct to my eye.

A few years ago I talked to the guys at Henry Griffits Golf. They make custom clubs. The owner told me he might have some flat drivers. You might give them a call and see if they have anything for you.

Is there any chance you'd ask your pro to measure your driver for the loft, face angle and lie angle after your changes. It's need to know for me before I go looking at the R11.

If it was a solution that suited me it could be great. I'd pick one up second hand cheap on ebay and could weight it up with the taylormade screws as well. Thanks.

Ps. I contact Henry Griffiths so I will see what they say as well.
Knightwriter

Postby jfischer13 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:10 am

Knightwriter,

Unfortunately, I don't have a pro. I do the majority of my own club work. I have a loft and lie machine for small adjustments and I send my clubs irons to lag and MDretired once a year for a full tune up. Its worth it for me to send clubs all the way from south florida to lag because I know my clubs will come back to the correct specs without offset. Ive had to many "club pros" work on my clubs and they come back with a bunch of offset and the angles incorrect. I remember once i tried to have a club pro adjust my back up putter. "A wilson 8802" he put about 4 degrees of loft on the face and a half a ball of offset. I bought a loft and lie machine the next day. I can do pretty well measuring for my irons and putters but the driver 3 wood is difficult for me to figure out.

Good luck with HG's. They are good guys. When I explained to them my thoughts on the game which are in line with abs they seemed to agree. He even told me he plays a flat driver but again not quite to our specs.

If you or anyone has any tips on measuring these without a fancy machine id be interested to hear your thoughts,
Joshua Fischer
Osteopathic Golf
Osteopathicgolf.com
jfischer13

Postby Knightwriter » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:00 am

Henry Griffiths got back to me. They can do a 54 degree flat 3 wood, and a 56 degree flat 5 wood but won't go lower than 55 with the driver, which is what I already have. I found this other guy at O'Connor golf who says on his site he makes 50 degree drivers. I've sent him an email asking what he offers and pics. Will let you know.

When you say you line up the shaft and grip up to square on the R11 does that mean it is as simple as doing the adjustment to the sole, adapter and then turning the grip so it is square with the face, and away you go?
Knightwriter

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and the Titanium Age