Augusta National and The Masters

Re: Augusta National and The Masters

Postby lagpressure » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:29 pm

k2baloo wrote:Not sure what Master's you are watching... 11 plays very long (505 yards) and very few can carry the right bunker on #1. I'm pretty sure it's over a 300 yard carry to do that...
Guys are hitting long irons/hybrids/woods into 11 today. Lots of holes do play very short now (13 and 15 stand out as the big ones).

Well, it's dead into the wind isn't it? And so is 15. They are hitting fairway metals in or even laying up… as it should be ALL THE TIME. Shouldn't have to rely upon an unusual wind to create such a traditional condition.

I am all for rolling back the gear so the ball doesn't go so far. And I like playing vintage gear, but I think your attitude turns off a ton of people that would otherwise be interested in what you have to say. The fact that your PR skills have little to no improvement in the many years you have had an online presence is disappointing.

Yes, The Masters is disappointing.

Also, if you are going to make an argument, you should back it up with actual fact. You claim the tournament is now won by average tour pros?
Here are the winners since 2000:
master's.PNG
master's.PNG (13.75 KiB) Viewed 173 times

I'm watching the two top players in the world spray the ball all over the course in a final group pairing on Saturday at the 2016 Masters. It's embarrassing. If you think that's acceptable display of top level world class ball striking that would inspire, then so be it. I'm far from impressed. But I do come from another era I suppose. I did watch a true historic ball striker like Moe hit 1000's of golf balls and there were others at or near his caliber in that era. This is just not good. It''t not good.

All of these guys are very good players - proven winners at other courses. Maybe Bubba winning rubs people the wrong way because of the style he did it, but he has won a bunch of other places so it's definitely not a fluke. Mike Weir is the only name on the whole list that stands out to me as not being a terrific player.

Good in the modern era I suppose. Winners on wide open bomb and gouge tracks. Someone has to win.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Mashie72 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:13 am

lagpressure wrote:Did Langer really say that he hit 3 wood into #2 and Jason Day hit 7 iron in?

That's what I heard
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby lagpressure » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:21 pm

Barkow and I watched The Masters over at his place today in Oakland. The golf was so bad that we ended up watching the basketball game mostly. I felt I was seeing much more human dedication and excellence seeing Stephen Curry filling the hoop with 3 pointers and dribbling in and around guys twice his size with the kind of precision I wish I was seeing in golf today.

Glad it is over.... no more ranting until next year!

Back to real golf and studying the inspirational golf swings of the master strikers.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby apples2967 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:31 pm

I agree John.

Ive watched every Masters since 1982, and Saturdays 3rd round, was the first time i learnt that to the right of 18 was the 10th fairway. I had never seen anyone hit it that far right on 18, and Spieth does it, and he is supposed to be a "Golfing Savant" according to IBF.

Then the 12th today. Please. I said to a friend just the other day, how these so called great players miss the green with wedges. Now he did caddy on the PGA Tour for a decade, so he has some loyalty i suppose. But he just ridiculed me, saying "show me 1 instance of a guy on tour missing the green with a wedge" I reminded him on the last hole of a Tourn, not long ago, his player hooked a wedge into the water from 89 yards. He muttered something and walked away.
I can almost get Spieths 2nd shot, but my god that first shot was so awful. Aiming 30 feet left, or that was his verbal intent, to hit a short iron so far right, is not what you would expect from a Savant.

And I only know what is far right of 18 because of Mr Spieth.

Not here to bag the kid, but a golfing Savant , please

Steve
apples2967

Postby LesMurray » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:34 am

lagpressure wrote:Glad it is over.... no more ranting until next year!

Until the US Open rolls around :lol:
LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:03 am

What they need to do is design new courses for the modern bomb and gouge game.... and stop playing the classic tracks unless they roll back the ball (back to balata) and go back to traditional golf clubs that were specifically designed for such venues.

Going out with frying pans and plastic golf balls on classic layouts is just as silly as it would be to play persimmon and balata on an 8000 yard modern monster.

Imagine what Jones and MacKenzie would think about what has happened to the event formerly called The Masters. It's just blatantly disrespectful.

There was a time when winning The Masters really was a great accomplishment and honor of distinction. Now it seems like nearly anyone in the field can win it, and when they do it's like, "wow, this is really cool man, I just won The Masters, let me text all my friends on facebook with my green jacket on. I wonder how many "likes" I'll have by noon tomorrow. Will it go viral on youtube?"

I swore to myself I wouldn't watch the event this year, but somehow I got sucked back into it. I actually didn't even know the event was going on this week until last Tuesday.

What made The Masters great in the past was the matchup between the shape of the green complexes and the trajectory of the iron shots into the par 3's, par 4's and of course the fairway wood or LONG IRON approach into the par 5's. A REAL risk and reward situation. If you don't have that, you don't have The Masters, or any major championship for that matter on one of the great classic tracks.

The balata ball enabled the players to work the ball into the pins with side spin.
Due to lower trajectory approaches by design the players HAD TO position their tee shots into the correct side of the fairway based upon the days pin position. It was never meant to be a swing for the fences free for all with short iron approach shots into all the par fours and even some of the par 5's. This event is a total joke now.

They need to shut the gates of Magnolia lane and stop tainting the history of the event. All things come to an end and even American Idol is over (Heaven forbid) and design a golf course for the modern era that will ensure the top modern players are on the leaderboard on Sunday. Not sure how that would be designed... but 8000 would be a good place to start with 150 yard wide fairways with blinking digital GPS yardage markers every 10 feet in the fairways to help speed up play. Coaches and players should be in constant contact during the round via text messaging so it really becomes a team effort.
The caddy could be reviewing the swing analysis of the last tee shot on his or her iphone. Wind and barometer readings could be calculated along with any elevation changes with an algorithm in place the gives the player the recalculated yardage sent via text to the caddy in a timely manner for the upcoming shot.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby NRG » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:37 am

I don't think you can blame Augusta for what has happened, USGA, R&A, fair enough. I thought it was the best last round since Norman dropped his arse, shame you didn't all get to enjoy it.
NRG

Postby nfbandon » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:54 am

The players, for the most part didn't play well so I can't consider it a great Masters. It was painful to watch. Willett played great, and deserved to win. Jordan looked like Sergio of ten years ago when he milked to cow for 30 seconds before he could take it back. He has had that block all year, and golf is a brutally honest game. It is unfair to the modern players to call them out as terrible ballstrikers. The ballstriking was great last year. The ballstriking was great a few years ago when Scott won. There was great ballstriking at Merion. They were collectively off this year. I recall the same type of thing over the years in the 70s, 80s and 90s. I do think the ballstriking isn't as good, but these guys are very good just maybe not as consistent. They better be good at the US Open because they are headed to Oakmont. There isn't a tree on the property anymore, and the USGA is keen on making the greens even firmer and faster than 2007. Without trees it will be kinda The Open like, but with 6 inch rough and hard lightening fast greens.
nfbandon

Postby Ded2Journey » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:29 pm

8000 would be a good place to start with 150 yard wide fairways with blinking digital GPS yardage markers every 10 feet in the fairways to help speed up play. Coaches and players should be in constant contact during the round via text messaging so it really becomes a team effort.
The caddy could be reviewing the swing analysis of the last tee shot on his or her iphone. Wind and barometer readings could be calculated along with any elevation changes with an algorithm in place the gives the player the recalculated yardage sent via text to the caddy in a timely manner for the upcoming shot.

This is pretty funny...sounds like something you would see at a basketball game or football game. HAHA...what an imagination!
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby lagpressure » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:18 am

Ded2Journey wrote:
8000 would be a good place to start with 150 yard wide fairways with blinking digital GPS yardage markers every 10 feet in the fairways to help speed up play. Coaches and players should be in constant contact during the round via text messaging so it really becomes a team effort.

This is pretty funny...sounds like something you would see at a basketball game or football game. HAHA...what an imagination!

If there is money to be made, why not? The tech cat is so far out of the bag, whose is to say what can or can't be allowed?
Are the folks at USGA or R and A traditionalists? Nope.

If you ban anything, you start sounding like me. The world needs to move forward and golf needs to keep up with the times.
Golf needs to get further plugged in and there should be an app that feeds the player everything he or she needs through their bluetooth (do they use those anymore?). Cut down all the trees. There shouldn't be hazards in the air. Bad for business.
Drive for distance only. Carry 6 wedges and a couple hybrids for super long par 3's or the occasional par 5. Thank goodness they didn't ban long putters. They are just so stylish and fashion forward. Oh, traditional too. They've been around for decades.
lagpressure
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Golf Course Architecture