Oakland Hills

Oakland Hills

Postby Range Rat » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:58 am

The winds of change at Oakmont may have found its way to Bloomfield Hills.

A upcoming vote will determine if the members wish to return the course, by eliminating most of R.T. Jones' updates, to Donald Ross' original plan. If approved, the South Course will be closed for a year. I hear the plan, in part, calls for removing up to 200 trees. All I know at this point. :)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Re: Oakland Hills

Postby k2baloo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:17 am

It all seems a little crazy. Can the ROI be that great that it justifies closing a classic track for a full year?

Also, off track, but what is with the USGA and playing the US OPEN on courses without trees now? It's up here at Erin Hills next year, and that place is a prairie/links style course.
k2baloo

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:18 pm

k2baloo wrote:It all seems a little crazy. Can the ROI be that great that it justifies closing a classic track for a full year?

Also, off track, but what is with the USGA and playing the US OPEN on courses without trees now? It's up here at Erin Hills next year, and that place is a prairie/links style course.

More room for spectators, $$$
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby nfbandon » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:32 pm

When is the vote? I just got invited to play Oakland Hills in September.
nfbandon

Postby Range Rat » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:49 pm

Not sure about when the vote is, but I may be able to get more information next week sometime. My sense of the discussion was the vote was to be within a few weeks, but that may be quite wrong, just my sense- I didn't ask too many questions at the time. Even if the vote was this summer I wouldn't think the course would close until its normal time in the fall- again just a guess.

If you're playing the North course, no closures over there.

I hear one possibility is #7 will bring back the original green location and design, while still keeping the current #7 green location giving players the option of playing to the old Ross green, or today's RT Jones green.

I'll see what more I can find out. :)
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:42 pm

The Monster is hibernating. Closed this week. Watson sure raised a tonne of money, for the mere sum of 15K you could have played 3 holes with him.
Range Rat

Return to Classic Golf Courses of the Persimmon Age