The Future of Golf/ Is this where it's going?

Re: The Future of Golf/ Is this where it's going?

Postby 20 Mule Team » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:33 am

I, too, thought the author nailed it. Unfortunately, he got shouted down pretty quickly in the comments section. It seems that not many people agreed with him.
20 Mule Team

Postby lagpressure » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:44 am

The statisticians may find that putting doesn't matter much, but that may be taken over all rounds over a season etc.

What might be overlooked is when a player is hot with the putter, and when a player who is striking it great is not.
In those cases it really does matter.

I think back to playing in the Sunnehanna Amateur. I played with Scott Verplank when he was the #1 amateur in the world.
He hit 8 greens in regulation and shot 66. I hit 16 in reg and shot 71. He might have hit it inside me two or three times.
To this day I have never once putted like that. He didn't miss one putt inside 20 feet. He of course didn't do that everyday, but he would putt like that more often that he was statistically supposed to.

I've never missed a cut when I was putting well. Never won a tournament putting poorly.

If I had a choice between being guaranteed to make every putt inside 15 feet or hitting 18 greens a round, I would take the putting hands down.

The truer the greens are, the more it tilts in favor of the great putters because they can get hot and really run the table at times. They can't do that on bad greens. I used to always love it when I showed up to a course with bad greens. It disrupts their rhythm when the greens are bumpy.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby k2baloo » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:59 pm

lagpressure wrote:The statisticians may find that putting doesn't matter much, but that may be taken over all rounds over a season etc.

What might be overlooked is when a player is hot with the putter, and when a player who is striking it great is not.
In those cases it really does matter.

I think back to playing in the Sunnehanna Amateur. I played with Scott Verplank when he was the #1 amateur in the world.
He hit 8 greens in regulation and shot 66. I hit 16 in reg and shot 71. He might have hit it inside me two or three times.
To this day I have never once putted like that. He didn't miss one putt inside 20 feet. He of course didn't do that everyday, but he would putt like that more often that he was statistically supposed to.

I've never missed a cut when I was putting well. Never won a tournament putting poorly.

If I had a choice between being guaranteed to make every putt inside 15 feet or hitting 18 greens a round, I would take the putting hands down.

The truer the greens are, the more it tilts in favor of the great putters because they can get hot and really run the table at times. They can't do that on bad greens. I used to always love it when I showed up to a course with bad greens. It disrupts their rhythm when the greens are bumpy.

The strokes gained approach can be applied to individual rounds too if that's an area of interest.
I know they looked at the strokes gained by Rory as he won the pga and found he gained most his strokes with his driving and iron play, although he also putted well.
You can read more here:
http://www.pgatour.com/statsreport/2014/08/11/strokes-gained-at-the-pga.html
k2baloo

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:05 am

I've read the book on strokes gained, released March 2014. I'd like to add some clarity on this discussion...

The author makes it very clear, that each player has their own style. When Luke Donald was #1, he gained almost 2 stokes on the field from putting alone. Where Tiger/Rory have gained 2+ strokes on the field with Driver/long Iron play. Jim Furyk gained stokes from Long Iron play and scrambling, but lost them putting. Zach Johnson gained stokes on the field with Wedges and putting, but lost stokes off the tee. Thus, no one area is more important than any other...it is all about the style you enjoy playing.

The one area he found to be consistent among tournament winners was that they had unusually HOT putters during that week. So, to second Lag...putting is crucial to winning golf tournaments. However, to be consistently in the Top 10--ball striking and accuracy are paramount. Bubba Watson is the perfect example of this...he leads strokes gained in driving the ball, but loses the majority of those strokes on/around the green. READ AS: Streaky player...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby lagpressure » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:22 am

There is no recovery from missing a 3 or 5 foot putt. That costs an entire stroke that never comes back. Bubba Watson can drive it into the Georgia Pines and still win the Masters with a great recovery shot vs a guy that was down the middle of the fairway, hit the the green and two putted.

Putting wins tournaments.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby norcalvol » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:26 pm

So much said here... from a former tour player.

https://pblackmar.wordpress.com/2017/10/17/old-become-new/
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby LesMurray » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:58 am

Very nice article. I like how he brings out the spirit and challenge of golf - creativity and shot making are what the game is about.

I recognize the name, Phil Blackmar, but don't remember much about the player.
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:09 am

I loved the article. Thanks for posting
k2baloo

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:26 am

norcalvol wrote:So much said here... from a former tour player.

https://pblackmar.wordpress.com/2017/10/17/old-become-new/

And the pendulum swings... everything in life eventually finds equilibrium. We are just in a transition phase, that has gone unchecked for too long. It's seems the capitalistic monster is out of control...but as Mr. Blackmar showed, when you're searching for the game it can be found in the equipment of the 50's,60's,and 70's. This is what really entertained me about K2's YouTube videos. It seems there is magic in that era that still lives on...Great article norcalvol...

I was on the range listening to a modern instructor two days ago. 6 students came and went in that time...he told everyone of them the exact same thing. Seems quantity over quality is the way of the world...this greatly saddened me.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby LesMurray » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:57 am

Ded2Journey wrote:It's seems the capitalistic monster is out of control...

We've got a long way to go before we reach maximum profit. Think along the lines that golf clubs are leased or license and you pay a monthly fee in order to use a company's clubs.

Hmmmm, that gives me an idea. Horde all the old-time clubs then when this comes offer old-school club leasing :lol: I've got about 5 sets so far, most all of them ABS'd.

BTW, Kyle I've started to hit those Spaulding persimmons I got off you better lately. They could go into the rotation if I can get more consistent.
LesMurray

Previous

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!