Golf and Guitars

Golf and Guitars

Postby Paul C » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:24 pm

I used to play guitar when I was younger, and have a great appreciation for all kinds of music. I was thinking about golf and using the right kind of equipment that we here subscribe to, and the negative results from more modern, upright gear. Same could be said for this song, which I'm linking to below. This song was played on a Rickenbacker guitar and if it had been played on something else--Fender, Gibson--it most definitely would not be the iconic song that it is.

This is Roger McGuinn in all his glory. Listen to this on headphones, turn it way up and marvel at his work. Truly, a master.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH6UnvSl ... r_embedded
Paul C

Re: Golf and Guitars

Postby Paul C » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:02 pm

It's late. Sipping a whiskey and watching the first snowfall of the winter. Here's Brian Bromberg on acoustic bass. If this had been played on electric bass--well, never mind. Such a rich, beautiful sound, just like hitting blades. Brian played with jazz legend Stan Getz and was a sideman for Dizzy Gillespie and Lee Ritenour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFjuL39J ... r_embedded
Paul C

Postby IronOfZion » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:56 am

Great topic,

In the context of persimmon/blades vs. 'game improvement stuff' (or heavy and x-stiff shafts vs. lightweight reg flex stuff) I always think of Stevie Ray Vaughan vs. Steve Vai.

SRV uses very heavy gauge strings: 0.013, 0.015, 0.019 (unwound), 0.028, 0.038, 0.058. If his fingers weren't holding up he'd compromise with a 0.012 to 0.058 set although at one point Stevie even strung his guitar with 0.018 to 0.074 (`it was insane,' he recalled, `but I played a lot more simply'). He does tune down one semitone.

Steve Vai uses 0.009 and up and 'when he gets his finger strength back up he might switch to 0.010...

For those who have experimented with different string gauges you know how much of a difference this makes.

The heavier gauge strings are in part responsible for SRV's huge tone while the thinner strings that Steve Vai uses allow him to play REALLY fast.
The gauge difference per player suggests that SRV gets a much better workout while playing and hardly has to do any exercises in between gigs, while steve vai is known to follow a very strict regimen of finger exercises. ( Hitter vs. Swinger... :?: :!: )
The path to enlightenment is paved with good intentions.
IronOfZion

Postby BomGolf222 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:46 pm

For whatever reason after you posted the 8 Miles High clip it just hit a huge chord with me and I haven't been able to stop listening to it. I've heard it countless times, but it's is if it's a brand new song again.... it's just ridiculously good.
Thanks for the link and great idea for a thread too...
Cheers,
BOM
BomGolf222

Postby BomGolf222 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:24 pm

Hands off, I was in love with her first!
I like the idea of an ABS music thread.... a little bit of purity in the midst of the madness...
Thanks for getting it going Paul C.... this may not have been your original intent, but.....
BomGolf222

Postby Paul C » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:28 am

Your welcome, all. I love music and the emotions, story telling and memories it evokes in me.
Paul C

Postby hoganut » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:16 am

This song was played on a Rickenbacker guitar and if it had been played on something else--Fender, Gibson--it most definitely would not be the iconic song that it is.

I'm fairly sure it was also a 12 string. Beautiful tone.
In the context of persimmon/blades vs. 'game improvement stuff' (or heavy and x-stiff shafts vs. lightweight reg flex stuff) I always think of Stevie Ray Vaughan vs. Steve Vai.

Also remember S/R played that old beat-up Stratocaster. S/V playing the new plastic things.
"A bad swing is tiring drudgery. A good swing is a physical pleasure." Ben Hogan
hoganut

Postby BomGolf222 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:10 pm

Musically Hoganesque in my view.... Wilco.

BomGolf222

Postby Range Rat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:23 am

Well if this don't beat all get out! Talkin' golf and chewin' on tunes all in one forum....doesn't get any better as far as I am concerned.

Sounded good....nice dynamics. The tub man was a little too much eye candy for my liking but to each their own. Funny how we "hear" with our "eyes". Nice post. :)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby IronOfZion » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:08 am

BomGolf222 wrote:Musically Hoganesque in my view.... Wilco.

I like the 'controlled chaos'. I guess you could see Hogan that way.. Nice.
The path to enlightenment is paved with good intentions.
IronOfZion

Next

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!