The Future of Golf/ Is this where it's going?

Re: The Future of Golf/ Is this where it's going?

Postby pavel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:32 pm

It is sad to see what is going on. The gentleman from :D TM or unfortunately Jack N. they are both trying somehow to save the sinking ship at the present. But, for us who play the game "as it ment to be" we should just continue, because eventually they will have to come back to the place where the golf game has been preserved. There are examples in cultures going way back. Honestly good music endured all sorts of influences and attacks. The golf game will be the same. We will just not get discouraged.
pavel

Postby k2baloo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:42 pm

Am I the only one not worried about this stuff? I really don't think the big cup idea will gain traction, but we will see. But I don't see any reason to panic/complain/worry; it will be fine.
k2baloo

Postby IanB » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:47 pm

I think its awful.
What a shame.
There is DO and there is DO NOT. There is no TRY.
IanB

Postby lagpressure » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:20 am

No one represents the Modern game more than Tiger.

I think he makes some of the points I have harked on about for years here in the interview with him I posted this morning.
I think Tiger respects the history of the game at his core. Maybe at some point in the future he'll do something about it.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby LesMurray » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:06 am

Yeah, like when he gets tired of being beat by the kids with all the new stuff! Maybe he will say, get out some persimmons and then we'll see who's best.
LesMurray

Postby Paul C » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:32 am

Tiger appreciates the game and where it came from and I think he's a gearhead and knows the advantages of persimmon, etc. I think a few Tour guys practice w persimmon--Tiger, Patrick Reed, Luke Donald...

Rory moved the persimmon and balata out there...around 270 yds.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10737949
Paul C

Postby nicelikejohnny » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:03 am

When Foot Golf gets too difficult, I imagine they will just make the the ball bigger and spin less so it flies straighter.........
nicelikejohnny

Postby lagpressure » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:08 am

What about miniature golf? It's fun and creative.. I enjoy it. One can more easily bring non golfing friends, wife, girlfriend etc. Why not just promote that and try to cash in there instead?

2.jpg
2.jpg (136.58 KiB) Viewed 3013 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (276.36 KiB) Viewed 3015 times

In a lot of ways.. I think mini golf upholds the ideals these guys are looking for. Make it more fun.. anything goes..
Courses are much less expensive to construct. Rounds are quicker, cheaper.. more fun.. you can do whatever you want with the holes.

Why not just work on growing the mini golf community and leave regular golf alone?
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby 20 Mule Team » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:40 am

This is the golf version of, "Let's give every kid a trophy whether they worked hard and earned it or not. This way nobody gets their feelings hurt."

Unfortunately, the unintended consequence of this is that the kids learn entitlement instead of work ethic.

While we're on the subject, can somebody explain to me why the 'Growing the game of golf' is so important? Unless you're a touring pro or somebody selling something golf related I can't see any benefit to the golf consumer. Mostly it means I have to pay more for clubs, more for greens fees, wait longer for a tee time, and then spend 5 hours mostly waiting to hit.

This past recession was tough on a lot of folks, myself included. But for recreational golfers it was great. Tee times opened up and greens fees came way down, as did equipment costs and membership fees. I'm now a member of a 36 hole club for $140/month, which includes unlimited range balls and one free round each month (and with zero initiation fees). Ten years ago it was $1500 to join and $300/month.

What am I missing here?
20 Mule Team

Postby norcalvol » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:53 pm

lagpressure wrote:...This whole concept that the business of golf trumps the game itself is where it is all going wrong. The business should embrace the game and work around it. Respect it and nurture it.
Attachments
hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg
hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg (20.85 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

PreviousNext

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!