Practice

Practice

Postby NRG » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:38 am

I'd get up every morning at six and play 18 holes at Tenison Park. Then I'd go home, take a shower, have a sandwich and head for the range. I'd get there for noon so I could hit a couple of hundred balls before I went on duty at two. Then for the rest of the afternoon and evening I'd hit balls off the grass in front of the mats, which were only about 30 feet from the pro shop. I could hop over to answer the phone or sell balls between shots. On a good day I'd hit a thousand balls and I couldn't wait to get up the next morning and do it all over again.

This routine eventually lead to divorce..

Lee Trevino
NRG

Re: Practice

Postby NRG » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:42 am

NRG

Postby NRG » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:03 pm

he [Hogan] developed a ritual during non-tournament days of hitting at least six hundred balls twice a day, three balls every minute for three and a half hours in the morning, followed by three and half hours practice in the afternoon. Playing in the actual tournament became, he insisted "almost secondary"
NRG

Postby Mashie72 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:07 pm

I missed the video with the juggler the 1st time.. Pretty cool...

I thought Hogan was insistent on only hitting no more than 15 balls at a time? I can't recall where I heard /read that though
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby Ded2Journey » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:01 pm

NRG wrote:
he [Hogan] developed a ritual during non-tournament days of hitting at least six hundred balls twice a day, three balls every minute for three and a half hours in the morning, followed by three and half hours practice in the afternoon. Playing in the actual tournament became, he insisted "almost secondary"

I'd have to say that if Moe Norman did it, Hogan probably did too--obviously Trevino did. The closer I get to this, the more joyful it becomes...practice isn't a chore anymore. It's pretty much my own little slice of heaven. That doesn't mean that quality isn't important too...but beating balls has a firm place in golf. Nothing like being drenched in sweat as the sun sets and all you can think about it how soon can you start again tomorrow...GO AWAY WINTER!
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Stu Carlburger » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:56 pm

As a fanatical practicer during my competitive days, I can relate to your sentiment. One of the greatest compliments I ever received came two separate pros at clubs I played out of each saying they had never seen anyone practice as diligently as I would, rain or shine, hot or cold. I had member say, "when I teed off on 1 you were in that practice sand trap hitting shots when I came through 9 you were STILL there, and when I finished on 18 you were chipping."

I loved to practice, and still do. Although, life and physical wear and tear have curbed my marathon sessions significantly.

I will say practicing for a complete change of action is a bit more daunting than maintenance work. One has to stay disciplined and be willing to see a lot of misses. That's why I do a lot of work with no ball in the mirror, just repping changes without the judgement and distraction the ball introduces.
Stu Carlburger

Postby lagpressure » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:31 am

I can't think of a top shelf ballstriker I ever knew that at one time or another was not a fanatical practicer. You have to put your time in at some point. It's equally important to play a LOT of rounds of golf on a DIVERSE number of layouts. I don't care how hard the contemporary game is trying to homogenize conditions etc. To become a truly great player, you must learn to play all the topography, weather conditions, grass varieties and conditions and test that all under serious competition.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!