I hate to admit it...

I hate to admit it...

Postby Mashie72 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:42 am

I hate to admit it but sometimes I have this funny shot that comes out of the bag with a fairway wood especially when I haven't played in a while. I concentrate so much on late body acc, cohesive tension, short arm travel, inner moving the outer, no space at impact, pressuring the ground & pits that my clubhead speed basically reduces to nothing but have a ton of pressure. The ball just rolls along the ground for about 60 yards..I'm pretty sure I didn't neck it just no clubhead velocity. :roll:

Anyone else experience this too? Kinda feel like Charles Barkley? For me there seems to be a fine line between this shot and one that is a nice loaded hit.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Re: I hate to admit it...

Postby LesMurray » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:41 am

I either neck it or top the heck out of it - same result, a 40 yd roller.
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:32 am

I have misses with fairways that are thin and out of the heel, but I actually like that miss a lot. It's usually a little pull cut that comes up a little short of normal, but definitely not a roller.
I can't imagine why you would hit a roller unless it was a mis-hit, so it just seems you have to be hitting very thin and/or out of the heel. Even with very low speed, a shot out of the center will get airborn and fly for a little bit. Have you tried any methods to identify where you are hitting the ball on the face?
k2baloo

Postby HelterSkelter » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:45 am

Not sure what you are doing without seeing it, but maybe early right shoulder and early acceleration leading to over the top and stand up a bit?

I sometimes try to over accelerate the longer clubs or take too shorter swing with them.

We spend so much time drilling with a 2 or 3 iron weighted with lead tape and have a lot of feel for that type of club. I'm not sure if you use modern woods and driver or persimmon. Either way there is a change in feel. I have both and am very careful out on the course to have plenty of practise swings with the longer stuff and really feel the weight of it before I hit it for this reason.

One thing that has helped me is - once you've done your main set of drills, do some extra ones with your other clubs to keep a feel for them.

The only real answer is probably to set our clubs up like lag does so the shafts and weights feel very similar, but that is not something I've tried yet.
HelterSkelter

Postby Mashie72 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:57 pm

Guys

Thanks for kicking this around a bit. I appreciate the help and wouldn't mention it if it wasn't a concern.

HelterSkelter wrote:Not sure what you are doing without seeing it, but maybe early right shoulder and early acceleration leading to over the top and stand up a bit? .
Yes..the high right shoulder is natural for me to resolve to at impact. Sometimes on the bad shots I feel like my left hip is backing up some and the right is coming out towards the my right toe/target line

HelterSkelter wrote:I sometimes try to over accelerate the longer clubs or take too shorter swing with them. .
Yes very good observation and this is the fine line that I was referring to earlier

HelterSkelter wrote:We spend so much time drilling with a 2 or 3 iron weighted with lead tape and have a lot of feel for that type of club. I'm not sure if you use modern woods and driver or persimmon. Either way there is a change in feel. I have both and am very careful out on the course to have plenty of practise swings with the longer stuff and really feel the weight of it before I hit it for this reason. .
Very good..I seem to only hit the longer fairway woods a couple of time a round if at all.

HelterSkelter wrote:One thing that has helped me is - once you've done your main set of drills, do some extra ones with your other clubs to keep a feel for them..
I'll try this too..Don't hit long fairway woods often. Sometimes I won't hit one for the entire round and then maybe 1 time the next week.

Thanks
Mashie72

Postby Mashie72 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:15 pm

k2baloo wrote:I have misses with fairways that are thin and out of the heel, but I actually like that miss a lot. It's usually a little pull cut that comes up a little short of normal, but definitely not a roller.
I hit that shot too every so often. Like you not worried about that one

k2baloo wrote:I can't imagine why you would hit a roller unless it was a mis-hit, so it just seems you have to be hitting very thin and/or out of the heel. Even with very low speed, a shot out of the center will get airborn and fly for a little bit. Have you tried any methods to identify where you are hitting the ball on the face?

One hole was a lay-up off the tee and I teed up the ball slightly with a 3-wood. It went dead straight about shin height (so not a true roller) for about 80 yards. I brushed the grass nicely (slightly wet conditions so I could tell it wasn't a topped shot) and it felt like it was in the middle of the face. But you're right I don't have proof that it was in the middle of the face other than I think I'm good enough to know what a necked/thin shot feels like. To me the clubhead isn't traveling very fast @ P3 and if I am not careful I get a swing basically starting from P3 in terms of velocity.
Mashie72

Postby k2baloo » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:40 pm

Funny you bring up problems with fairway woods, because I got to hit the range for the first time in a long time today with the persimmons and noticed a strange issue. I was hitting the driver really, really well, but my 3 wood was launching way too high. The ball marks on the face were just a little above center, but the flight was a lot higher than I would like to see in a 3 wood.
I don't see this happening with modern 3 woods and was wondering if other people have run into this. I had to work to keep the flight at a decent trajectory. But again, the driver was flying great and was a lot of fun to hit.
k2baloo

Postby Mashie72 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:39 pm

Anything custom/modified to your matching set? What are they? Sometimes you can have a deep faced Toney Penna driver that is just right but not for the 3-wood. You might be a good candidate for a 2-wood
Mashie72

Postby k2baloo » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:05 pm

Good point. I have a macgregor mt driver and matching 3 wood.
The driver is fairly deep faced and the 3 wood is very shallow, so maybe I just need to search for a two wood.
k2baloo

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:37 pm

I love my M23 2 wood.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Next

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!