Thoughts on the Yips

Thoughts on the Yips

Postby Mashie72 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:26 pm

Hey students

I know this site is about great ballstriking but thought I'd start a topic about the yips. First a bit of background info followed some potential solutions.

Fortunately over the last few decades I have been blessed with decent putting and never had a prolonged "putting slump" until this year. It all started with 20 footers uphill or anything I felt I needed to compress/hit the putt a bit.

It's been very odd/maddening..Downhill/flat putts I'm fine and can practice for an hour and not have the yips at all falsely thinking I'm cured! The yips would start "sometime" during the round. Not always on the 1st hole and maybe not until 17?...And once they showed up I might as well just putt with my left hand only the rest of the way in.

I tried everything from Long putters, Face-on, looking at the hole & all kinds of grips. I fashioned a chip roller and got worse because it increased my mental aversion to hitting the putt. (I never bought the ABS Putting Module to be clear/fair) For any type of claw grip, my yip would happen in the down to the ground direction at impact and I would hit the putts fat!

Finally out of desperation, I started to putt left-handed. And yes the yips stopped. I'm not as good from the left side so I presently have 2 putters in the bag and have ditched 5-iron. Now since I think I have the cure in the bag, the right-handed putting has returned to normal as well for the last 3 weeks.

Also I have discovered that just before the yips happen, my mind would lose focus/blackout for a split second before impact inducing the right hand tremor. When you have the yips, you don't notice the micro-second mental flinch or can't imagine having one if you putt well.

Thirdly my stroke length was getting too short for the uphill putts. I like to go by the hole 12 inches if I miss. So my stroke length had been a distance good enough to roll the ball to the hole and "hit" it 12 inches past the hole..This "hit" past the hole was amplified for the uphill putts while inadvertently not increasing the length of the stroke for the uphill putts.

So now the simple solution is to create/generate a stroke length that will result a distance of 12 inches past the hole with little to no hit if possible..Ex: My stroke length might need to feel 3 feet past the hole for an extreme uphill putt to end up a foot by the hole.

Maybe these yips are only dormant and will come back next week but wanted to jot down my thoughts in case someone else has been afflicted with this insanity.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Re: Thoughts on the Yips

Postby NRG » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:26 pm

Steer clear of strong coffee and vodka.. or anything else you might enjoy.
NRG

Postby Mashie72 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:55 pm

Thanks Neil. I do love some strong coffee before I play. However it hasn't affected my putting for 30 years, been there in the last 3 weeks, or when I went left-handed
Mashie72

Postby NRG » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:07 pm

I was only half joking. Giving up the drink definitely helped my short putting and I believe Sergio was advised to stop drinking coffee before he played.
NRG

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:14 pm

Soften your hands, use your shoulders and core. Worked like a charm for me. If you think their soft enough, soften them more. USE THE BIG MUSCLES...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Mashie72 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:22 am

Ded2Journey wrote:Soften your hands, use your shoulders and core. Worked like a charm for me. If you think their soft enough, soften them more. USE THE BIG MUSCLES...

Got and thanks..Anything to try to keep the yip demon away for me and anyone else
Mashie72

Postby lagpressure » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:21 pm

Heavy putter helps a lot. Start with 18 ounces and keep adding weight until any jerking goes silent. Stiffen the shaft accordingly.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:06 pm

I would add that each hand has a special role. Extra weight will help "discover" the purpose each of them has separately.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:09 am

McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby nfbandon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:52 am

Yes please elaborate. I have been subject to them for ten years. The only way to KNOW I won't have them is to putt left handed, but I don't want to do that. I do have a Bulleye and will put it in the bag if I really want to post a score. If I have the yips that day I simply move to the left side. Lately, I have determined that my hands fight each other, and I want my right hand to control since it is the touch hand. Accordingly, I have been gripping the putt in my left hand with just my last two fingers on the shaft. This allows me to get my entire right hand on the grip. I have also gone to a more deliberate upper body stroke with little or no play in the wrists. This allows me to keep the length of the stroke shorter and control the distance with my shoulders....kind of a PIA putting method. LOL. I am a demon on the putting green, but have not had the opportunity to take it to the course yet.
nfbandon

Next

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!