Thoughts on the Yips

Re: Thoughts on the Yips

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:18 pm

Keep searching for Nirvana...try using the equipment above. Down the rabbit hole you go...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Paul C » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:04 am

Those balatas...isn't there a short window to use them by? I think that's why I never went after them on ebay.
Paul C

Postby LesMurray » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:09 pm

Paul C wrote:Those balatas...isn't there a short window to use them by? I think that's why I never went after them on ebay.

I think they lose their best flavor after 5 years :lol:
LesMurray

Postby Ded2Journey » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:50 pm

LesMurray wrote:
Paul C wrote:Those balatas...isn't there a short window to use them by? I think that's why I never went after them on ebay.

I think they lose their best flavor after 5 years :lol:

Not if you're just putting with them...
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Stu Carlburger » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:34 pm

Oh man there is nothing like putting and chipping with a nice Tour Balata!

Those bad boys dance and sing so sweetly!
Stu Carlburger

Postby Mashie72 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:14 pm

This video is really not that good but the idea is something to try for the yips. Just hang/use 1 of your arms from the shoulder as the pendulum pivot point and barely use your "yippy" hand as the other.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby nfbandon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:42 pm

The problem with a yip is you can't "take it out". These guys have no idea what they are talking about. The more you try to ignore the hands the more they twitch. I have found more success by gripping harder and using the hands rather than no using them. I take it back with the shoulders but I have to make myself use my right hand to release the club. Otherwise I just leave the putter wide open. Of course, on some putts I don't have them and the putter just swings and all is good. The worst of is on many days on the practice green I am a very good putter. A putting guru had an article in Golf Digest last month, and described a drill where you place twenty tees a foot apart starting at 5 feet in four rows. He said the average golfer does 10 of 20 and tge tour average is 14. I have done the drill several times and am averaging 16. I have decided the only way to overcome it is to spend much more time practicing putting. Hopefully after 6 months I will have them behind me for good.
nfbandon

Postby Mashie72 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:39 am

nfbandon wrote:The problem with a yip is you can't "take it out". These guys have no idea what they are talking about. The more you try to ignore the hands the more they twitch. A putting guru had an article in Golf Digest last month, and described a drill where you place twenty tees a foot apart starting at 5 feet in four rows. He said the average golfer does 10 of 20 and tge tour average is 14. I have done the drill several times and am averaging 16. I have decided the only way to overcome it is to spend much more time practicing putting. Hopefully after 6 months I will have them behind me for good.

I agree with you. Most of these experts have no clue..Those are really good stats Grady. You might be even better if you start @ 4 feet. Here's the pic in case someone is curious.
Attachments
Plus PD.jpg
Plus PD.jpg (139.21 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
Mashie72

Postby Mashie72 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:22 am

nfbandon wrote:I am going the other way...paying a lot of attention to the clubface and ability to control the length of the stroke...so my stroke is more core and torso driven. It does feel wooden, but my distance control is very good. Given my yip issues this seems to help.

Not that this guru's putting system is "All that and a bag of chips" but I like what he said. "When looking for putting problems, it is a process of elimination.."

Like I have said before my yips kinda of come and go. They start about every 4th round with a 30-footer uphill and gradually seep into other shorter length putts for the rest of the day. Also I have had difficulty replicating them in practice. Finally I was able to recreate a few yips yesterday on the practice green with this guys's method on a long uphill putt. Sure enough I was violating a couple of his check points promoting the yippy stroke. Maybe some progress here and hopefully bury these twitches for good.

Also FWIW I never noticed until yesterday that Spieth keeps his putter shaft in-line with his forearms.
Mashie72

Postby Mashie72 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:58 pm

I feel for you Ernie...

That's the darn thing about them. They can lie dormant for a long time and pop up when you almost forgot about them. I think Ernie had been putting well up until today.
Mashie72

PreviousNext

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!