Thoughts on the Yips

Re: Thoughts on the Yips

Postby norcalvol » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:40 am

http://golfsciencelab.com/the-yips/

Here are the essential points from the podcast:

Structured visualization that is solution focused (not problem focused).
    Visualize making a putt.. not "not missing" a putt.
    To improve performance, focus on a process instead of focusing on a result.
    The structured visualization is part of that process.
    All we are trying to do is to COMMIT TO A SHOT. That is all we can do. We can't control the result other than committing to a shot.

Lag has mentioned the last point in other places.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby Mashie72 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:25 pm

Thanks so much for the post. I'll check it out for sure. I actually last week bought a decent left handed putter and enjoyed my putting for the first time in a long while. Love to get to the bottom of this issue though.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby Mashie72 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:01 pm

Too funny..@ the end of the Podcast some pro switched to left handed and the yips have not returned for 30 years.
Mashie72

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:20 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Choke-Secrets-Brain-Reveal-Getting/dp/1416596186

Great book if you have the yips...the research is sound.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Mashie72 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:02 am

Just a quick update..Been putting left handed for about 6 weeks and haven't felt/seen a yip to date! Putting fairly well too. I'd give myself about 85-90% as good as I ever was right handed. Most people who have recently been playing with me think I have been putting left handed all my life. I played both baseball and hockey left handed growing up so it isn't a big deal to me.

But my thought on the yips for the week since I am re-teaching myself how to put left-handed is that I think my right handed stroke lost some of it's natural up and down swing of the putter head. This natural swing of the putter head initiated from the shoulders(up & in, down & out, and up & in) gives me all the power I need to stroke the putt well. When I yip my putter goes on a path out to the right after contact. But if I can feel the up & down swing, the head should come back inside slightly all by itself.

I might put 2 putters in the bag tomorrow to see if this idea holds up or not.
Mashie72

Postby Mashie72 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:44 am

Just wanted to pass on some unique putting advice from Paddy on a recent episode from the GC. I thought it might be worthwhile b/c I know he's had the yips.

A)He doesn't like any lines on his putter face. He's filled in all the lines the putter comes with and paints his putter head black. Then he paints just the top half of the putter face white.

B)He lines up his putts by looking at the hole and the white portion of the putter face.

C)He has zero loft on his putter.

D)He leans the putter shaft back a few degrees to see the white portion of the face to give the putter some effective loft.

E)He turns his left hand under for more stability while left hand low

F)He practices putting by both looking at the hole & with his eyes closed

G)He envisions a rubber band attached to his shaft near the putter head that begins to stretch at impact. The tension on the band increases after impact and holds his stretched finish at the end of the stroke.
Mashie72

Postby Mashie72 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:18 pm

Hey guys..Might be healing from of this disease called the yips.

Attached is the ugly looking thing that's in my bag. I can putt lefty with it nicely & no yips..I've had 4 rounds now under my belt putting righty Face On with this roll faced putter sans yips including in a scramble tournament. The grip in my right hand when using FO is just in the finger tips on the shaft. I can even go lefty FO with good results.

So I feel the bottom line is that if you can convince your mind that there might be multiple solutions to your yips, just keep searching..(Almost 20 months to finally make some progress with this devil). Maybe I just get lost in the process of doing something completely different like putting lefty, FO and/or with a funky putter that I kinda forget about the yips during or before the stroke. FO didn't work before with traditional FO putters because my right palm (claw grip or not) was involved in the stroke..And/or I felt that FO might fail at some point during the round which it usually did. But now if FO fails for whatever reason I can switch to lefty with the same putter.
Attachments
IJ's Dugan.jpg
IJ's Dugan.jpg (3.07 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
Mashie72

Postby nfbandon » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:07 pm

Yeah, I have a bullseye for that very reason, but lately I have switched to a mallet rife with the Mickelson claw and am putting pretty damn good.
nfbandon

Postby Mashie72 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:32 pm

nfbandon wrote:Yeah, I have a bullseye for that very reason, but lately I have switched to a mallet rife with the Mickelson claw and am putting pretty damn good.

Congrats Grady. I know you have been in the same boat for a long time too.
Mashie72

Postby Mashie72 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:42 am

Just a quick update..I still have not felt the yips one time since going lefty at first then subsequently Face On. I have since switched to a SeeMore putter using it Face On with no yips..Haven't even tried a normal righty to see if the yips are gone. Just happy either Face On or Lefty does the trick.

Some notes about Face On in case some one wants to give it a try...A)I make sure my body/stance is rock solid at set-up and through the entire stroke. It's very easy not to set-up the same way each time with Face On or be off balance. I like to have the ball a good 6 inches ahead of my right toe. Then I bend down leaning forward until my right eye is just over/behind the ball.
B)The top left hand is the pendulum pivot point and does most of the work in the stroke. It starts the putter back and tries to provide most of the swing. The right hand only assists the left hand and is primarily used for fine tuning distance and smoothness. So I don't try to pull it back with the right hand like you would a bow. The right hand doesn't take over either on the DS/through impact. It's just more of a gentle push from the top like pushing a toddler's swing seat on a swing
Mashie72

PreviousNext

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!