Etiquette Duty for Public Golf today?

Re: Etiquette Duty for Public Golf today?

Postby Mashie72 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:31 am

Stu Carlburger wrote:I didn't see this post until now, but I'd like to chime in with my $.02 if I may.

-- especially when people don't know how to use carts properly.

When I play with a cart, I try not to drive, and I walk as much as possible with 2-3 clubs and anything I'll need to play my shot. So many people think that the cart is there to shuttle them and their cart partner the ENTIRE way on every shot. Wrong! Between holes and off the tee it's fine to ride, but after getting to the first players ball, the other player should be on foot, getting what he needs to hit his shot unless he's going to be in the other players way. So many times I see guys sitting on their asses while their buddy hits, then be shuttled just a few yards over, only to get his gps/range finder out, then hit his shot. Over 18 holes it's a THAT that adds up the time -- especially when they have to start looking for balls or the dreaded cart path only.

I'm not a slow play Nazi -- in fact, I find the obsession with pace of play annoying -- but, inefficientcy is maddening. The problem is, nobody in the business has found an effective way to explain and teach players how to be efficient with the cart. IMO.

Nice post..I agree..Or the basic unwritten rule for cart use for newbs..How about never walk back to your cart? Don't leave the darn thing half-way back up the fairway.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Re: Etiquette Duty for Public Golf today?

Postby stevemcgee99 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:28 pm

Stu Carlburger wrote: Slow play, IMO, comes down to two things: 1) courses that are too long and demanding for the average player; and 2) players playing from the wrong tees.

All that being said, courses with 2-5 minute drives between holes don't help matters much.

To me, whether I'm playing or caddying, there's nothing that beats the pure (and quiet) setting of a course full of nothing but golfers and caddies. The pace is as it supposed to be, and everyone just goes to their own ball. Carts disrupt the natural rhythm of the game, IMO.

Exactly.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Previous

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!