Former PGA Persimmon Player

Former PGA Persimmon Player

Postby Mashie72 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:23 pm

Tomorrow I'm playing in a Scramble. I usually pass on most of these invites but accepted this time for a few reasons. One is that I'll be playing with a former PGA Tour player who played with blades & persimmons back in the day. It'll be good to see his action for the first time. I'll be interested on his take with today's gear.

John has always said that the new equipment has dumbed the game down. I bet if we had 2 more ABS'ers/Brad students in the group we would win hands down if everyone else had to play with the old stuff..But since we don't and will play with new gear, we'll just have a good time and hit it far.
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Re: Former PGA Persimmon Player

Postby k2baloo » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:01 pm

Sounds like a great opportunity!

Enjoy it and be sure to update us after the round.
k2baloo

Postby Ded2Journey » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:04 pm

If you get a chance ask his opinion on grip technology and shaft technology. I'd love to hear about it...please and thank you!
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Mashie72 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:14 pm

That was a pleasurable experience today. Larry Sears went to Georgia Tech on a golf scholarship. GT's home track was the Standard Club back in the day. He qualified for the PGA Tour in 1968. Played through the end of '72. His sponsors wanted him to continue in '73 but felt he just didn't hole enough putts compared to everyone else. So he quit and has been working in the real world as an engineer to this day and 73 years young. He mentioned he played with everyone from Gary McCord to Lee Trevino.

I asked him if he knew my early golf mentor Paul Moran. He said yeah I knew Bugsy and we roomed together traveling on Tour. He always wondered what happened to Paul after he quit the Tour. I told him he taught @ Doral with Jimmy Ballard. Larry then said, "You know, Jimmy got all his stuff from Sam Byrd. I used to play with Dewitt Weaver and he wasn't hitting it that well." Later on he improved dramatically tee to green. Dewitt said he was working with Sam and got his phone number. Larry then went to Anniston Al and saw Sam Byrd for 6 months straight and subsequently played his best golf of his career. Sam had Larry hit one ball on his first lesson and Sam said to him, "You're not hitting that good are you?" Larry said Sam was right that he was struggling. During one conversation with Sam, Larry said that Sam felt that he didn't get enough credit for helping Hogan with his swing.

We managed to only post a 63 today. Players C&D contributed 3 putts and 1 chip total between them all day.

Larry was spot on in all aspects of his game and can still fly it 270. He thought the older equipment was a little too difficult for him to play with these days due to his age and limited play.
Mashie72

Postby Range Rat » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:57 pm

Thanks for the post Mashie, enjoyed it. :)
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Postby Mashie72 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:56 am

Range Rat wrote:Thanks for the post Mashie, enjoyed it. :)

You're welcome RR. It was refreshing to see how sharp the guy is remembering exactly what Byrd taught him 40 years ago. He did mini Byrd swing demonstrating the FRW at the top, a feeling of swinging up on the BS, elbows down/bent and of course the plugged-in left armpit the whole way.

Then he said w/o any prompts from me, "Now Hogan dropped it down in here" (showing me hitting out of the right hip pocket). He thought it is was hard for Hogan to hook it from there. "On Tour in my day you needed to hit it well & have a one-way miss. That's what Hogan did the best."
Mashie72

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:03 pm

Polished up on my Sam Byrd...wonderful stuff. Thanks for the feedback, interesting to hear that he played modern gear with no issues. Too bad you couldn't make a few more putts out there. :roll:
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Mashie72 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:39 pm

Ded2Journey wrote:Polished up on my Sam Byrd...wonderful stuff. Thanks for the feedback, interesting to hear that he played modern gear with no issues. Too bad you couldn't make a few more putts out there. :roll:

What did he win about 11 times on Tour & played with Babe & the Yankees?

http://www.stevewozeniak.com/2008/04/se ... outs-sake/

Just love that picture of Jack as a yout..dispelling the story about Grout grabbing his hair from Grout himself
Mashie72

Postby LesMurray » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:32 am

Mashie72 wrote:
Ded2Journey wrote:Polished up on my Sam Byrd...wonderful stuff. Thanks for the feedback, interesting to hear that he played modern gear with no issues. Too bad you couldn't make a few more putts out there. :roll:

What did he win about 11 times on Tour & played with Babe & the Yankees?

http://www.stevewozeniak.com/2008/04/se ... outs-sake/

Just love that picture of Jack as a yout..dispelling the story about Grout grabbing his hair from Grout himself

Wow, the things one learns. I never knew Jack Grout was a disciple of Sam Byrd.
LesMurray

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!