Wood Brothers

Find a pro shop near you

Re: Wood Brothers

Postby bentshaft » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:30 pm

freddie
even if you stop buying the silly things...I want a promise that you will keep posting with comments and pics of your favorite sticks! A joy to read your posts!
bentshaft

Postby 84425 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:24 am

Fred,

Those look great! I've got two coming my way as well. John is currently working on them. They're also both a bit special. One is one of Dave's first Texan's. He (hand)made it at the end of '84. Took him a month to built. Even the etching on the soleplate is done by hand rather than stamped. Unfortunately it has a really nasty neck crack, but it is cool to have nonetheless. The other is an Australian, most likely one of Steve Elkington's back-ups. The original Australian was modeled after Norman's M43 that Dave also built. I'll post pictures of both once John is ready refinishing them.

To the rest of you. I'm doing an interview with Dave soon. I'm trying to get the questions together by this weekend. If any one of you out there has a question they would like to ask Dave, PM me, and I'll try to fit it into the interview. When the interview is done it'll be posted here on ABS as well.

Postby freddiec » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:57 am

Jurren,
Those 2 you have coming sounds great. John lives near me and mentioned he's working on 2 of the WBs for you. The Australian is a Rare driver, I can't wait to see the end result. The Wood Bros drivers were real classics. I'll PM you a question or two for Dave.
Fred
freddiec

Postby robbo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:04 am

Gentlemen,

All I can say is WOW!!

Great pics and great background information...... really interesting. Makes me feel that much luckier that I happened across the WB I picked up several weeks back.

Keep the pictures and comments coming!

robbo
robbo

Postby robbo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:08 am

Addington Arnie wrote:Yes it was Fred - good for him!

Here is an extract of his email exchange with Dave Wood:

Your observations are correct. Most of the retail Texan heads were based on an altered turning master, who's DNA, was tied to the MacGregor Nelson model 69 that was used in the M85. As a raw turning form, the apex of its height on the face profile, would be slightly over 1 3/4". The crown height began at 2". But these dimensions are in the turning masters raw form. I think most Texan face depths would measure between 1 5/8 to slightly under 1 3/4" in finished form, due to top-line edges and stain line optics. (sole radius and leading edge cambering affected this visually as well)

WB Driving Instruments were hand crafted and sculpted from solid blocks, Overall they look the same, but upon critical inspection... each had is own uniqueness and character. Many variables in club-making to achieve the finished specifications and harmonized optical results.

Langers head did not appear overly deep, because he wanted his top-line softly rolled under. The stain line would encroach on the face. Bernhard also liked for the face-line to appear very square at address, so the toe stain-line would continue to the edge of the face profile. If you took that same head and brought the stain-line downward, it would look closed to his eye. Another detail was that he wanted the club bored to 56.5 degrees, which was upright for the time, but he wanted it to appear flat at address. To do this the crown was lowered and blended just a little more than a standard model. Very subtle things. He was a perfectionist and a technician and always a challenge to work with.

Interesting fun stuff!

Cheers, Arnie

Driving Instruments ........... I love it.

Fascinating how much "technical artistry" went into these designs!

Thanks for posting Arnie,

robbo
robbo

Postby freddiec » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:12 pm

Robbo,
I agree. These Texans are pretty special clubs. There were never a lot of these WB models sold in the states at all. Mainly to Tour players and over in Europe and Japan. I think thats mainly because they were very pricey! Tour players paid 200 bucks a piece and over in Japan retail ran as much as 2K US. Chances are the one you have that nice blonde one coulda been a gamer for a Tour player or good club pro. I got out yesterday and hit some shots with the Blonde 9 degree. Its close to an inch longer than the standard persimmon and has a SW of D5 to D6. I thought I would have a little trouble with it , but wow was i surprised. This is one sweet swinging club! I always hit Titleist Balatas with these old persimmons and hit a few on the screws yesterday, it was a blast.
Fred
freddiec

Postby robbo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Freddiec,

You are correct, they are something special. I'm pretty sure the blonde I have is all original, and if you look at the head the only wear is on the insert itself, so I suspect if was previously owned by a "player" (the X100 that's in it is a bit of a giveaway as well). I've hit about 20 balls at the range with it and it's as solid as can be.

It sounds like Mr. Wood still has a passion for his product. I admire those who take the time to personally explain (in some detail) the specifics related to your purchases.

Thanks for sharing,

robbo
robbo

Postby lagpressure » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:38 pm

Thanks guys for raising my awareness of The Wood Brothers persimmons...

Do I need one? I'm starting to think so!

It would be great if we could get Mr Wood over here onto this forum for some discussion. I'm sure Vic Wilk would love to have him on the "On the Fringe" radio show.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby freddiec » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:25 am

Lag,
I'm going to send Dave Woods an email over the next few days telling him about this great forum. I'll mention ABS is dedicated to Pure Traditional golf. (Equipment, instruction, architecture, ect.). I agree, it would be cool to have a guy like Dave give his perspective and input.
Fred
freddiec

Postby aiguille » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:29 am

Here is a reply for further information from the seller on two Masters edition drivers I bought recently.....

YES I agree that the two Masters Edition TEXANS would be worth keeping NEW and just displaying as they are truly a work of art. I used to live in Augusta and have been to four Masters (including 1986) and even played their as well. Pretty awesome to say the least. Back in the day, Wood Brothers made these for the Tournament in very minimum quantities to be sold at the Masters. A good friend of mine, who has attended about 20 Masters, bought these and always kept them. Eventually we worked out a trade as I probably had more interest in them at the time. At the Tournament they sold for $500 each. Personally I always had great respect for the Wood Brothers quality and their production was unrivaled in my opinion. AS you will see the detail is incredible especially the Sole Plates. Again, THANKS for the purchase and glad these are going to someone who appreciates them and I think you will "WOW" them in the U.K.
aiguille

PreviousNext

Return to Sponsor Endorsements