Wood Brothers

Find a pro shop near you

Re: Wood Brothers

Postby freddiec » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:34 pm

lecoeurdevie,
The material you had a question about is flush with the club, so I think there was some wood cut out to have it fit flush. I believe I've seen a picture of raw heads being finished in WB shops without a sole plate and there were spaces for these pieces. WB put them on each of their drivers. I believe it was made to protect the wood. Their 1st driver had the Texas sold plate, which was not flush to the leading edge like say a Mac Butterfly plate, so without it, the wood could easily be damaged from sand, ect. Wood Bros was the 1st company to put the loft degree on the sole plate, then companies like TM followed suit. All WB drivers were oil hardened to specific exact weighting. They did not use internal weights inside the head like most companies did, they are solid blocks of persimmon. I took another shot of my 9 degree today. This was custom made for Ben Crenshaw.
Attachments
9deg_TxnTour 001.jpg
Fred
freddiec

Postby lecoeurdevie » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:55 pm

Those are just awesome. I can't imagine how many blocks of persimmon they would have to go through to find just the right grain density and perfect flow to get to exact weight and playablilty specs. What a labor of love. Everything about it makes perfect sense and would last forever, totally solid with no weak spots. Enjoy those beauties.
lecoeurdevie

Location: High Sierra, Califormia, U.S.A., Planet Earth. Terran System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby bentshaft » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:13 am

a few months ago there was a wood bros driver on E bay...
it looked perfect and had a "buy it now" for---i dunno 80 or 90 or 100...
I E mailed the guy and asked if he would take an offer (having NO idea at the time how much I wanted this damn thing)
I offered 65 ish...obviously i did not get it---Id gladly pay the hundred now!!
I will post again when my head stops hurting from being pounded against the desk ARGHHH
bentshaft

Postby aiguille » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:32 am

Holy cow are those gorgeous!! Detail down to the different color paints in the screws. One thing A, what is the grey material surrounding the leading egdes? I would assume that it is to protect the wood from pebbles, etc but is is a covering on top of the wood or a cut away of the wood itself? Great idea either way and never seen anything like it.

Its actually green, to blend with the Augusta Masters theme...

The wood itself is slightly cut away and recessed to allow the fitting of this protective material.
CIMG0390.JPG
aiguille

Postby aiguille » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:32 am

Holy cow are those gorgeous!! Detail down to the different color paints in the screws. One thing A, what is the grey material surrounding the leading egdes? I would assume that it is to protect the wood from pebbles, etc but is is a covering on top of the wood or a cut away of the wood itself? Great idea either way and never seen anything like it.

Its actually green, to blend with the Augusta Masters theme...

The wood itself is slightly cut away and recessed to allow the fitting of this protective material. I am not sure what the material is made of.
CIMG0390.JPG
Last edited by aiguille on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
aiguille

Postby freddiec » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:53 am

Here is probably my last purchase for a while, a long while. This is a WB Texan that Bernard Langer played with from 1988-1991 w a S500 shaft. He also played another one in 93 which he used to win the Masters. This one was not a custom club for Langer, but was a demo that WB used to show players their new head design. It also has "Dave Wood" inscribed on the back heel side. Langer liked the demo enough that he wanted it for competition. He also had another one made with the same spec, but used this a lot during competition and practice. I put it down beside my M85 gamer, which I always considered to be slightly different than a lot of other M85s and both are very very similar in shape and address position. This one sits probably about a half degree closed to square. Cant wait to tee it up in the spring.
Attachments
Tex_DW 003.jpg
Tex_DW 003.jpg (133.49 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
Tex_DW 002.jpg
Fred
freddiec

Postby BomGolf222 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:29 pm

WOW!! You can almost feel the shots that were hit by that club just by looking at the photos... Great stuff, Fred....
BomGolf222

Postby freddiec » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Bom,
Thanks. I just hope my shots with it won't give it a different look.
Fred
freddiec

Postby 84425 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:32 am

I allready mentioned these two a while ago, and I finally received them this week. So I am now proud to present two drivers that will hopefully allow me to hit monster drives, carry the nastiest of potbunkers and split even the tightest of fairways.

WB1.jpg
left WB Texan prototype and right WB Australian
WB1.jpg (51.86 KiB) Viewed 2504 times

Postby CanadianCrippler » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:25 pm

aiguille wrote:Enjoy!

I am completely blown away! I only got into collecting and truly admiring these classic persimmons after my grandfather lost all of his (collectted since the 40's). He was so heartbroken that a stupid house fire could take all of that work and all the memories away just like that!

He had a Wood Brothers (Texan) and (All American) but I don't think even he ever saw a Masters version (Let alone 2 beauties like these!).

I have been trying to rebuild his collection and do so before he dies (which I hope will not be for some time!). Wood Brothers are next to impossible for me to find!

Any advice???

Want to sell???? :)
CanadianCrippler

PreviousNext

Return to Sponsor Endorsements