Mickey Wright

Mickey Wright

Postby Range Rat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:38 am

MW.jpg
MW.jpg (34.67 KiB) Viewed 2472 times
You're ahead of where you were, and behind where you're going.
Range Rat

Re: Mickey Wright

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:39 am

Question is...how do you find the fog regularly?
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby Range Rat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:27 pm

It is a rather fascinating quote from one of the best, and someone I admire and have studied a fair amount. I do not know precisely what she may have meant by the entire quote but I have my rat suspicions, which can be highly acute at times. :lol:

One of the notable highlights not often discussed, and I am not sure why, but is quite obvious both from a dynamic and static analysis is her beginning and ending sequence. Mickey almost falls back onto the trail leg- thus finishing where she started in large measure and perhaps gives her a more orbital feeling from beginning to end. Her manner of approaching the ball is fantastic. I like to think of it as setting up to post impact versus setting up behind the ball pre-impact- and the latter of the two would be what folks do who set up too far right. Here is a couple crops from this video with the first picture as she contemplates what's to come. However, I would also call that a near post impact location.
MW233.jpg
MW233.jpg (39.82 KiB) Viewed 2423 times

Then she has a stretched zone where the fire is and the stretch is based on how she stepped in from that spot- feeling open and closed at the same time, then post impact, the return to almost the same location after the finish- like a fall back, but not as a fall back is classically defined. Maybe that feeling caused her to use words like "standing back" and orbital- as she did make one complete orbit from 2:33 to 2:43 while standing back on the trail leg.
MW243.jpg
MW243.jpg (38.93 KiB) Viewed 2420 times

...and here is the video which shows this clearly from 2:33 through 2:43...Mickey Wright is great!
Range Rat

Postby Range Rat » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:22 pm

As long as I am feeling inspired about discussing maintaining knee flex on the lead side over on the Finish to the Sky thread, here is a crop of Mickey who maintains some serious knee flex:

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/3482530
Range Rat

Return to Golf's Greatest Quotes!