Let's Talk Lag's Golf Machine.

Advanced Ball Striking welcomes you to San Francisco

Re: Tour Player Swing Coach Opportunities For Lag

Postby Go Low » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:49 am

macs wrote:
Bradley Hughes is no doubt an accomplished ex-tour golfer, but he is no longer a tour player or wanting to become a tour player.

He just played in the Australian Open this past week and I believe is playing on the Aussie PGA starting tomorrow/today.

Thanks Macs! I was unaware he still played tour golf. How did Bradley do in the Australian Open last week?
"Reverse every natural instinct and do the opposite of what you are inclined to do, and you will probably come very close to having a perfect golf swing." Ben Hogan
Go Low

Postby CaptainChaos » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:07 pm

Go Low wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:Go Low,

Lag doesn't announce who he teaches anymore because...well, I took the "following the players" thing a little too far. Following...stalking. Pretty much interchangeable in my thesaurus. Silly laws. ;)

Captain Chaos

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by you taking the "following the players thing too far" and your use of the word "stalking", and then "silly laws". Are you saying that you upset a tour player by trying to contact him/her or literally stalking the player where they became upset? What "laws"?

I was joking, Go Low...a little wordplay and goofiness whilst being self-depreciating. I'm not sure where you are from, if English is your first language, or if there is any cultural divide...however, forums can be difficult places for humor. (hence the emoticons).

Cheers,
Captain Chaos
CaptainChaos

Postby Go Low » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:31 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
Go Low wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:Go Low,

Lag doesn't announce who he teaches anymore because...well, I took the "following the players" thing a little too far. Following...stalking. Pretty much interchangeable in my thesaurus. Silly laws. ;)

Captain Chaos

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by you taking the "following the players thing too far" and your use of the word "stalking", and then "silly laws". Are you saying that you upset a tour player by trying to contact him/her or literally stalking the player where they became upset? What "laws"?

I was joking, Go Low...a little wordplay and goofiness whilst being self-depreciating. I'm not sure where you are from, if English is your first language, or if there is any cultural divide...however, forums can be difficult places for humor. (hence the emoticons).

Cheers,
Captain Chaos

Thanks CC for the explanation! No, I really had no clue whether you were joking around or if there was something sinister that occured. Not knowing the regular posters' personalities to well the emoticons didn't confirm things one way or the other for me.
"Reverse every natural instinct and do the opposite of what you are inclined to do, and you will probably come very close to having a perfect golf swing." Ben Hogan
Go Low

Postby CaptainChaos » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:44 pm

Go Low wrote:Thanks CC for the explanation! No, I really had no clue whether you were joking around or if there was something sinister that occured. Not knowing the regular posters' personalities to well the emoticons didn't confirm things one way or the other for me.

No problem. One suggestion, if I may: Read a bit more deeply into the different threads in this forum. Since so many of your questions are not easily answered - I believe your understanding would be much more up to speed with a bit more research. I am in no way taking the easy route - it's just that in this one thread, Go Low, so many of your assertions are 180* off of what ABS promotes that it's clear (to me, anyway) that you should take in a bit more info. Doing so will put you on the same playing field as everyone else and would answer many of the questions you've already put forth.

Not knowing I was joking is probably *the* litmus test that you haven't read all that much yet.

Welcome and have fun.
Captain Chaos
CaptainChaos

Postby Addington Arnie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:14 pm

There is no doubt you really enjoy playing old golf clubs that were made 40+ years ago, which I've noticed is more than just simply a hobby that you personally enjoy. I see that you actually advocate, or urge, that your students acquire and play with the very older equipment...and modify the lie angle beyond what has ever been considered anything close to standard by any club manufacturer. At first I thought the reason you wanted your students to use this old (and modified) equipment might be [a means for you] to have your students speed-up their progress with much heavier clubs, stiffer and heavier shafts, blade clubheads and a smaller sweetspot. And that the 5*-6* down lie angle modification was to promote the student to have a better delivery from a flatter elbow plane or hand plane versus a higher turned-shoulder plane while using the module drills. But, the more I've read, the more it appears that you want or expect your students to play with this old and [lie angle] modified equipment from now on. Is that correct? Do you expect your students not to use the most advanced, modern-day, equipment? This seems rather odd to me. It's like a someone taking tennis lessons and the teacher wants the student to play with 50 year-old tennis rackets instead of using the most modern and advanced equipment available, which other tennis players (including pros) use...just because the teacher enjoys playing the old equipment.

I'm curious, have you had many of your ABS students become disenchanted because they are strongly urged to use 40+ year-old clubs with abnormally modified lie angles? This seems (to me) that it would be a turn-off for a lot of people.

I'm happy but Mrs Arnie is pretty disenchanted with ABS...... ;)

On a serious note I guess a lot depends what your end goal is. At the risk of paraphrasing other threads, or Lag himself, if your goal is to make money on a major tour its unlikely that you are going to be standing up there on 7,200 yard plus course's with lightening greens with persimmon and blades. But if you believe that playing those clubs will provide you with better feedback that will help you develop your swing along the way surely that's a good thing? But most of us aren't in the position anyway and the courses we play aren't remotely like the courses on the PGA Tour. Certainly my home course is 6,300 yards from the tips par 70. There is no earthly reason not to play persimmon and blades there and expect to score fine and more importantly have the pleasure of playing the course with a greater variety of approach clubs, with the hazards in a place that still makes some sense.

On the flat lie angles I'm sure Lag would concede that he won on the Canadian tour as a hitter with lie angles that weren't 5*-6* down but given he has had a chance to work on these concepts now in way he never did on tour he genuinely believes that its an advantage to have a flatter swing as a hitter and flattening out your swing makes more sense with flatter gear. But he is not dictating anything. Bradley is playing 4* down at the moment I believe and is pleased with his ball striking. I play 6* down and believe that it has benefited me though I can't prove it to you empirically. I see that you have a quote from Ben Hogan at the foot of your posts. One thing that Lag and Sevam1 (Mike Maves) agree on is that you can't get at Hogan's swing without understanding Hogan's gear, which was as I understand it from an exchange with Tom Wishon who had held Hogans clubs in Gene Sheeley's office were very flat, very stiff and extremely heavy.

Cheers, Arnie
Attachments
Collection.jpg
He made me buy them and then bend them all over the place...........! Help me, help me.........lol!
Collection.jpg (100.15 KiB) Viewed 4821 times
Addington Arnie

Postby NRG » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:35 pm

Go Low,

I agree with what the Captain just said there. I recommend you take a bit of back seat and set about reading each and every one of the posts here and report back to us in a month or so. Some gold nuggets hidden in some funny old places, even for you I guess.

Just a thought. :)

Cheers NRG
NRG

Postby Steb » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:41 pm

As a student, I have never felt any pressure from Lag to use the old gear--he simply makes his preferences known and explains why. I was using older, heavier irons before discovering Lag because I loved the feel, strike and look of them, Lag simply made me understand that I'm not some freak and gave understanding as to why I find what I find.

I never flattened my clubs until I found I needed to.

I never found persimmon clubs 'sexy' looking so never used them. But after two years of sticking to ABS principles and developing a keen awareness of what is best for my swing, I found myself drawn to buy one a few weeks ago, like my swing journey was now ready for it. And I now find them sexy looking.

So I've never thought Lag is urging students to play the old stuff, but when you start to erode the commercial influences and illusions in golf away and leave the truth, you just want to do it.
Steb

Postby Addington Arnie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:45 pm

Steb wrote: I found myself drawn to buy one a few weeks ago, like my swing journey was now ready for it. And I now find them sexy looking.

Steady Steb, its a rocky road....... :twisted:
Addington Arnie

Postby Go Low » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:49 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
Go Low wrote:Thanks CC for the explanation! No, I really had no clue whether you were joking around or if there was something sinister that occured. Not knowing the regular posters' personalities to well the emoticons didn't confirm things one way or the other for me.

No problem. One suggestion, if I may: Read a bit more deeply into the different threads in this forum. Since so many of your questions are not easily answered - I believe your understanding would be much more up to speed with a bit more research. I am in no way taking the easy route - it's just that in this one thread, Go Low, so many of your assertions are 180* off of what ABS promotes that it's clear (to me, anyway) that you should take in a bit more info. Doing so will put you on the same playing field as everyone else and would answer many of the questions you've already put forth.

Not knowing I was joking is probably *the* litmus test that you haven't read all that much yet.

Welcome and have fun.
Captain Chaos

Thanks for that CC! You may be right about not picking up on your humor. However, I will admit that I skipped over most posts that didn't specifically pertain to ABS, which I felt were lighthearted exchanges between cyber friends. I was looking for the "meat".

I have pretty much covered every thread in the forum that is available to me and think I have a pretty good idea of the ABS training process and Lag's swing philosophy. I think it's excellent...and one would have to look far-and-wide to find someone that describes and things better than Lag does. He has a wonderful way with words. But, even more important - I find Lag's swing methodology to be excellent. My own golf swing happens to be very close to what I believe Lag teaches his students, which is one reason why I find ABS interesting. If my belief is accurate, then I hope everyone will be as happy with their swing as I am with mine. I'm not sure where (in your view) my assertions are 180* off of what ABS prmotes.
Go Low

Postby Addington Arnie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:13 pm

My own golf swing happens to be very close to what I believe Lag teaches his students, which is one reason why I find ABS interesting. If my belief is accurate, then I hope everyone will be as happy with their swing as I am with mine.

Wow that's great! Though I can confidently say, even without seeing it, that I am not as happy with my swing as you are with yours ;) Perhaps you could pop a link to vid clip up if you are so minded up so we can learn from it or put in in the Vault section?

Cheers, Arnie
Addington Arnie

PreviousNext

Return to Let's Talk Lag's Golf Machine!