Let's Talk Lag's Golf Machine.

Advanced Ball Striking welcomes you to San Francisco

Re: Tour Player Swing Coach Opportunities For Lag

Postby TeddyIrons » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Really enjoyed that, thanks Ralph. I recognized one of the swings from the module 8 video.

Lag, what version of your swing was that? Was that pre-conversion or post-converstion to hitting?
You must work very hard to become a natural golfer ~~ Gary Player
TeddyIrons

Postby lagpressure » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:36 am

Post conversion of course!

I was working on all the stuff back then that later developed ABS modules and so forth. Lot's of big changes from TGM swinging protocols I struggled with years before. You can see Module 3 right before I teed off. I retired from playing in 93, still had a lot of exemptions and opportunities, but my reasons for moving on were based on a variety of circumstances. In hindsight I'm really thankful I played all my competitive golf into the tail end of the persimmon age. I don't think I would have enjoyed the transformation the game took into the frying pans and juiced up golf balls which would have seen more and more of the lesser ball strikers finding themselves on the greens to then putt the lights out. I don't think any of that stuff would have worked to my advantage. I think it really hurt a lot of the better ball strikers by letting too many other guys into the game that wouldn't otherwise have been competitive.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby eagle » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:11 am

Great duel, very interesting.....loved the Module 3 action too.

What kind of player was Kelly Gibson?
eagle

Postby aiguille » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:08 am

Great viewing Lag, good to see you and Brad walking the talk.

What do you make of Lavern's comment that your clubface bottoms out before the ball rather than at it?
aiguille

Postby lagpressure » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:22 am

Kelly was as good player. Hit it long, maybe a bit wild at times but could shoot low and really get it going. Really tough competitor, very serious. If I remember right, he got his PGA Tour card that fall and played regularly on the PGA Tour into the early 2000's. Gripped it tight, wide stance, rigid looking swing. I don't think he would have benefited much from the changes in the game either.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:24 am

What do you make of Lavern's comment that your clubface bottoms out before the ball rather than at it?

I would think if that was happening I would hit all my shots fat. Maybe he was talking about something else.. the hands maybe?
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby aiguille » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:28 am

November 15, 2011 12:35 PM
greg lavern said...
Lag shows great purity of technique. Notice the left wrist bowed through impact. Particularly take notice where the club face bottoms out well before the ball as great ball strikers like Moe Norman and Ben Hogan did. Much different than promoted by a large majority of teachers or instructors today that the club bottoms out at the ball. It is clear to see that Lag's action through the ball will result in bacon strips not hamburgers. Greg Lavern

Lag, this was the quote.
aiguille

Postby lagpressure » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:47 pm

I think Greg is suggesting that we shouldn't be coming down steep and taking pork chop divots. Pick it clean or just a bacon strip. This ability is learned through a late release but quick aggressive hand action, either hitting or swinging. Hinged or motored.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Tony Lema

Postby NYC Lagster » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:02 pm

I really enjoyed this interview and I think you will also:

http://www.gothamgolfblog.com/2011/11/uncorked-life-and-times-of-tony-lema.html

Cheers,
Ralph
NYC Lagster

Postby 1teebox » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:32 pm

Thank you for posting this enjoyable, informative interview with Mr. Bausch. It's first class hearing about Tony Lema from someone who did the documentation legwork and gathered personal memories from Mr. Lema's family, friends, associates, and fellow competitors. I was about nineteen and working in a restaurant the day Mr. Lema died. I first learned of it overhearing customers talking quietly about his air crash, and their memorable sadness was as if Tony was their brother, son, or friend.
1teebox

PreviousNext

Return to Let's Talk Lag's Golf Machine!