Advanced Ball Striking welcomes you to San Francisco

Pages 1 through 10

Postby lagpressure » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:27 pm

lagpressure
Site Admin

Table of Contents for Pages 1 through 10

Postby Addington Arnie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:47 pm

Table of Contents Pages 1-10

- “Call me Lag” – Lags invitation to discuss the pro’s and con’s of swinging and hitting launches this whale of a thread

- Enter Bio our Biomechanics man to ask the first question

- A discussion on why the dependence on well oiled hinges and a robust internal pressure gauge makes swinging such a difficult proposition at the highest levels of the game

- How hitting can embrace those natural feelings of tension that many of us experience and turn them to positive effect

- Enter Jeff “Brainiac” Mann stage right, remember the name he will be with us for a while on this journey

- Why lag pressure is “the secret of GOLF” and how it equates to Feel

- The importance of post impact acceleration in maintaining a lag pressure / flex on the shaft and the concept of the 5th accumulator

- Enter Aussie Bomber (AB) our long drive king

- Brief discussion of Mac O’Grady and hitting

- What swinging and hitting feel like in the body

- Lags identity is revealed!

- Debate on the benefits of blades vs perimeter weighted irons in providing feedback and the concept of “educated hands”

- The changing nature of golf: debate on the impact of “technology” and the de-emphasis of strategy and skill

- Modern custom fitting and its emphasis on fitting for a players existing, often faulty, impact alignments

- Introduction of the idea that a flat swing is more accurate than an upright one

- How some martial arts concepts relate to the golf swing

- Thoughts on Moe Norman and the impression he made on Lag

- First tensions arise with Jeff Mann over the possibility of post impact acceleration

Cheers, Arnie
Addington Arnie

Re: Pages 1 through 10

Postby Steb » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:30 am

I like. Brings back memories Arnie.

Jeff 'Brainiac' Mann - :D

He had his enemies but I thought he was definitely an asset to the thread.
Steb

Postby lagpressure » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:36 am

I'd welcome him here..
I might not get into big debates with him.. as I already did that, but he seems like a deep thinker.. and that is always good to have around..

can someone find him?

I liked Bio too, despite the secret society thing of confidentiality. I could tell you all the secrets, but if you don't have someone with a trained eye to watch over you, it's still a perilous journey.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Steb » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:43 am

Steb

Postby CaptainChaos » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:30 am

Steb wrote:jeffmanngolfer@gmail.com

"Jeffmanngolfer"! Makes me wish I used my other e-mail address here: scottdmalewhore@justkidding.com. ;)
CaptainChaos

Postby Nipper » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:18 pm

AA - great idea...Thanks
I like the idea of re-visiting Lag's posts off ISG.. I have the ISG posts in book form also (printed out and in a folder) :D
Nipper

Postby lbcyp » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:15 am

I think this was that tournament that John was taking about in his post from May 8 2008. Where Norman shot two 66 and won by a bunch at Royal Melbourne in very tough conditions. Some good clips of Norman hitting his driver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xen9I5iQxfU
lbcyp

Postby lagpressure » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:32 pm

Thanks for posting,

I never saw that footage because I was playing in the event. Check out the play at around 36.00 and how crazy fast the greens were and the wind was unlike anything I had played in. If you look at the greens, you can see how they were chopped down so tight the grass was a dying brown... just brutal.

Norman was just playing golf at another level... way beyond anyone else. It was just really incredible stuff. I remember how good I had to play to simply make the cut in such a strong field. This was real golf, the great game near the end of the persimmon era.

The commentary, if you listen, is much more articulate and educated than what we hear today. They talk about position, opening up the pins, keeping the ball under the hole. Norman putting the ball off the toe of his putter on downhill right to left putts. There was so much to study and learn back then before the game got thrown under the bus.

All the guys you see on the leaderboard were wonderful players who were not there by accident. It just showed how awesome Greg was at the time to be able to dominate the field.

Brad King was a guy I played with many times who was a fantastic player who could really shoot low numbers when he was on. I remember him leading the Alberta Open by 7 shots going into the final round and then showing up on Sunday with liquor on his breath teeing off with a hangover after being out all night. I think he shot 79 or worse the last day and blew the easy win. I remember his roommate from Australia shaking his head saying "If he just could have stayed home in his room he would have walked away with it, but he just had to....."

Just some real characters out there... a lot of good times and memories. Moe would be on the range hitting an old tin driving range sign with a persimmon 3 wood from 220 yard out while a crowd just stood in disbelief. Or in Australia, Greg Norman landing on the driving range in a helicopter, getting out with his entourage like he was James Bond or something.

I could call home from a payphone for a dollar a minute. If I just wanted call home and let someone know what I shot, I would make a collect call and code the name by using the alphabet. "G" being the 7th letter for the first name, and "A" being the letter of the second name. So a collect call from George Allen would mean that I shot 71. The call would be declined of course. A call from Frank was always good news! Thank goodness no one got a call from Howard! :lol:
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby apples2967 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:48 pm

" Before the game got thrown under the bus "

Lag, just GOLD
apples2967

Next

Return to Let's Talk Lag's Golf Machine!