Sam Randolph with ABS/ US Amateur Champion/ PGA Tour Winner

Sam Randolph with ABS/ US Amateur Champion/ PGA Tour Winner

Postby lagpressure » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:54 pm

sam_randolph_us_amateur.jpg
sam_randolph_us_amateur.jpg (147.18 KiB) Viewed 8460 times

A special thank you to Sam Randolph Jr for taking the time to speak with me last week, and share his thoughts on both the game, the swing, putting, playing by feel, his experiences being low amateur twice in the Masters, receiving the prestigious award alongside Bernhard Langer and Jack Nicklaus in the Butler Cabin, and his amazing journey through the game.

Here is the first of a four installment conversation I had with Sam November 6th 2010.
Fantastic insights from one of the great persimmon players I have even had the chance to compete against..(very unsuccessfully!)

http://advancedballstriking.com/sam1.mp3

sam_randolph_masters.jpg
sam_randolph_masters.jpg (159.23 KiB) Viewed 8434 times

Sam won the US Amateur Championship in 1985, after finishing runner up in the US Amateur in 1984. Following one of the greatest collegiate careers in golf history winning 13 major collegiate events including the prestigious Sun Bowl, Sam breezed through the difficult PGA Tour qualifying getting his card in 1986, and won on the PGA Tour his first year... The Bank of Boston Classic.

pga_tour.jpg
pga_tour.jpg (55 KiB) Viewed 8419 times

Like Tiger Woods, Sam won the Junior World Championships at Torrey Pines, and was the NCAA collegiate player of the year
in 1985, a year that included Steve Elkington, Scott Verplank, Davis Love and other great players.

To give you all an idea of how good was Sam Randolph in the 1980's.. Sam played our host event The Fresno State Classic
one of the most prestigious collegiate events out west, at Fort Washington CC, host of several PGA Tour qualify schools over the years. I finished third place playing very good golf shooting a two under par total of 214, three shots behind Duffy Waldorf who would later win 4 times on the PGA Tour and finish 5th in the Masters in 1996. Duffy's total of 211 would typically win this event easily in a field of 144 of the nations top collegiate players. HOWEVER..

Sam Randolph shot 200, beating Duffy by 11 shots :twisted:

This of course was playing a set of Hogan PC's and a Hogan Speed Slot persimmon with steel shafts. I would challenge anyone today with all the modern gear to go out and come anywhere near that score at Ft Washington.

http://advancedballstriking.com/sam1.mp3

I'll try to get Sam on here to answer your questions after listening to the discussions, and I'll present this four part series over the coming weeks.

Enjoy.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: Sam Randolph with ABS/ US Amateur Champion/ PGA Tour Winner

Postby level44 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:14 am

I remember following Sam and Stadler at the Houston Open in 87. That was some great ball striking to watch.
Great interview. Thanks for sharing!!
level44

Postby 1teebox » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:30 am

That live interview was terrific.
I am looking forward to more of these.
Thanks a million.
1teebox

Postby joniindo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Great interview Lag... this site is getting hotter as it gets older ;)
Don't trust the mainstream media
joniindo

Postby lagpressure » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:00 am

Has anyone ever played a round with the pins pulled out, like on a day the course was closed? I thought that, and how Sam could gauge yardages visually within a 15 foot tolerance or better from inside 200 yards I found really interesting, because it shows how possible it is to completely play this game by feel as John Henrick discussed in his interview. Sam talked about a similar discussion with Jackie Burke also. I also found it interesting how important Sam thought it was to learn how to eliminate the left side of the course, and how important it was growing up on a course that had two holes with OB literally down the left rough line. We sure don't see that on tour. Sam played a low power fade of the tee and was extremely long off the tee.

There's a lot of gold in this discussion, and it gets more and more insightful into the nuances of the game as we get further into it. Each time I listen to it I pick up new things to ponder.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby bentshaft » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:36 am

Just great stuff...thanks
bent
bentshaft

Postby Addington Arnie » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:00 am

Yep, just wanted to add my name to the list of those who thoroughly enjoyed the interview. :D

Cheers, Arnie
Addington Arnie

Postby robbo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:25 am

Fantastic "part 1" of the interview Lag! I'm anxious to listen to the next installment!

Sam must certainly be one of the "greatest players many have never heard of"! His pre-tour accomplishments are mind-boggling. I hope he makes a run at the Champions Tour.

I recall reading in Jackie Burke's book about how he would always estimate the distance to the BACK of the green (and the club that would hit it that far) and then simply use one less club, adjusting the swing as needed for the truer pin location. It's such a great, simple tip. Seems Burke has a real disdain for players coming up short of the green.

Love the concept of pin-less greens. I'm convinced I'd score consistently better if I ignored the flag on all approach shots but my pea-brain has yet to allow myself to do it for 18 holes. One round on pin-less greens might be all the encouragement I need. :D

I strongly encourage everyone to take a few minutes to listen to Lag and Sam.

robbo
robbo

Postby twomasters » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:29 am

I was fortunate to play with Sam a few times out on Tour....
A real gentleman who will still have a fine career ahead of him when he turns 50
I look forward to hearing the next installments of the interview...
There is always much to learn from fine players
twomasters

Postby eagle » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:16 pm

Great interview. I liked all of it, and look forward to the next one.

What rich influences he had..Geiberger, Pate, Stadlers, etc. I wonder if his swing is similar in pattern or tempo to any of those? And it was interesting what he said , something like " with so many bets, I learned to just play each hole, and figure it up at the end."

Thanks Lag
eagle
eagle

Next

Return to ABS Interviews