Playing Persimmon in the Titanium Age

Re: Playing Persimmon in the Titanium Age

Postby daleheck » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:53 pm

Hello All,
Had a great experience this weekend. Went out with a buddy for an afternoon round at one of our local tracks,, course was backed up so we skipped around and managed to get 15+ holes in, and the wind was stout 15 -20 mph. I have been trying to settle on which persimmon to game on a regular basis , since I have my monthly mens club tourney this weekend. I have a mid 70's or so Powerbilt that I refinished/ reshafted and flattened a bit,, I just hit that club great all day! the lower ball flight and the energy that the ball seems to retain (I have been adding weight to keep my drivers right at 14.2 oz. as that seems to suit) is something else! And I gave up very little distance , and worked a low baby draw all day that just ran out down the fairways bitchin'-......- even managed to out drive my buddy and his Taylormade skillet more than once :D That MOD1 work is really paying off!... For anyone new to ABS this not an experience to me missed, the solid feel, feedback and the return of CONTROL to my tee game is in a word : wonderful! This is, and will continue to be a great, enriching experience. The satisfaction of getting educated on the older gear and learning to work on my own clubs thru everyones help here at ABS, and then taking this to the course in the modern day is just too cool! Can't wait to beat 'em down this weekend old school style!

cheers!
dale
daleheck

Postby jpd5184 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:06 am

i had a great experience this week as well. played for the first time with my vintage blades (m85t's). Havn't had the chance to buy/find any persimmon yets, but im still looking.

Since i didnt have any persimmon's and the course is only 6100 yards or so i just used my irons. The round started off rough but after 4 holes i started to get used to the super heavy blades. I bogeyed the first four holes but then something clicked and i hit some of the best shots of my life. i played the next 14 holes at +4 and i had back to back birdies on #5 and #6, something i have never done before. #5 was a 180 yard par 3 that i hit a nice baby fade 5 iron within 5 feet. #6 was a short 320 yard par 4. I hit a nice baby draw 5 iron right down the middle. Then a nice easy 9 iron within 8 feet for another birdie.

From that point i played very well. I hit some really bad fat shots but also hit some amazing baby draw 3 irons off the tee. A shot i could never do before. I could never hit a 3 iron before. Not sure what the difference was.

It was really fun using every iron in my bag. usually i only use 3 or 4 of my irons. The game was just so much more fun. I wasnt worrying about my score, i was just enjoying the vintage clubs. I didnt have any swing thoughts, the game just seemed to come to me so much easier. Golf is so much more fun when you can just play. I didnt look at any yardages, i just saw the shot and hit it. it was like my mind was free. what a great feeling

Can't wait to get some persimmons and see how my game improves.
jpd5184

Postby lagpressure » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:20 am

Golf is so much more fun when you can just play. I didnt look at any yardages, i just saw the shot and hit it. it was like my mind was free. what a great feeling

gold.jpg
gold.jpg (135.13 KiB) Viewed 4139 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby nfbandon » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:37 am

Great stories. Getting persimmons is easy. Ebay is full of them, and you can usually find a refinished one for under $25. I just got a beautifull six screw MacGregor Tourney Custom for $5, plus $12 shipping. Really is a tragedy no one wants this stuff...but it is a gain for us. Go get one!
nfbandon

Postby lagpressure » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:48 am

1.jpg
1.jpg (25.11 KiB) Viewed 4119 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby jpd5184 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:11 pm

i know i can get them off ebay. im just looking at local thrift stores, good will, salvation army, garage sales, flea markets, exc. The thrill of the hunt is so much fun just looking through the bags of endless clubs and looking for the right one.
jpd5184

Postby daleheck » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Yep! The thrift stores all have my picture posted at the door since I have cleaned out all the vintage stock and continue
to prowl their halls!! :lol:
Truly a tummy tingling experience when you locate a real keeper,,, kinda like dating! ;)

good luck
daleheck

Postby twomasters » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:06 pm

Rocco Mediate plays Ben Hogan's driver and discusses persimmon V titanium and how the golf swing reacts to the tools we use
http://secretinthedirt.com/index.php/me ... ory_id=280
twomasters

Postby RyanMB » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:24 am

That grip looked larger than normal. Where is the reminder on a golf grip, on top or underneath?
RyanMB

Postby lagpressure » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:39 am

Usually underneath..
but a reminder could be placed anywhere under the grip material.

It was usually a piece of wire that created a bulge line that would "remind" the hands of where to feel the wire.
lagpressure
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Persimmon Age (Steel)