Ben Hogan's wedges during his playing career?

Ben Hogan's wedges during his playing career?

Postby Hot Soup » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:34 am

Does anyone happen to know what wedges Hogan used during his playing career? I have a number of books on Hogan, but it has been difficult to glean his club selections from various photographic sources. I'd be interested to learn about his selections during his time with both Macgregor and his own marque. Thanks!

HS
Hot Soup

Re: Ben Hogan's wedges during his playing career?

Postby truenorth » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:57 am

I'm not sure about Hogan, but I can tell you Trevino used a very old punch dot faced wedge for a long time. He said he liked it better because the spin didn't change when you laid the face open.
truenorth

Postby Hot Soup » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Was it a Wilson R20?
Hot Soup

Postby truenorth » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:18 pm

I am not sure to be honest. Being new to serious golf as well as vintage gear specific models especially of wedges aren't my forte. Pretty sure it was in the piece about '71 at Merion that they aired before the US Open this year. Good watch by the way
truenorth

Postby truenorth » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Aha! A Wilson Helen Hicks National Champion Punch Dot Face sand wedge circa 1940's. Rumour has it he called it Miss Helen. At one point he used a Wilson R90 set at 59 degrees that he said was like cheating out of the sand.
truenorth

Postby Hot Soup » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:24 pm

Truenorth,

Good find! Maybe Trevino was partially responsible the resurgence in the popularity of the r90 with pros in the mid-seventies? Nicklaus had one in his bag at one point, as well, I believe.
Hot Soup

Postby lagpressure » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:42 pm

He said he liked it better because the spin didn't change when you laid the face open.

Learn something everyday!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby truenorth » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:12 pm

After a bit more digging it seems that wedge could have been from the thirties as well. Lee said one time he left it in the parking lot and someone leaned it against the wall and left it there. Jack was strolling by and found it there so he delivered it to Lee the next day on the range. He figured it was too ugly for someone to steal. I still can't find the video or quote but I distinctly remember him talking about the spin consistency. Just like placing t-56 in his first US Open using a Macgregor 11 iron that was 'sharp enough to cut a steak'. Haha, would be a lot of fun to play a round with that man.
truenorth

Postby Hot Soup » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:46 pm

I love the 11-iron. I suppose it is essentially a gap wedge, but the m85 11-iron is my favorite club in the bag. Like Lee said, they have almost no bounce.
Hot Soup

Postby mrlek » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:10 am

Hot soup

I believe Hogan used an R20 during the 40's as you say. You can see what looks like a Wilson wedge in the few bag / club shots taken.

There's also this closeup of his SW taken pre-WWII. Looks like a 'slightly' later R20 with grooves as has the same hosel markings / black plastic ring.
Attachments
B1a2.jpg
B1a2.jpg (83.45 KiB) Viewed 5375 times
mrlek

Next

Return to Equipment