Playing Persimmon in the Titanium Age

Re: Playing Persimmon in the Titanium Age

Postby RyanMB » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks Lag. It looked like Rocco turned and showed the bottom of the club when he said the grip was wide open.
The reminder would then be running along the right side of the bottom of the shaft?
RyanMB

Postby xsmith » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:13 pm

I am really enjoying going back to persimmons! The first round was a little rough, but things were much better on the second round. You really feel a good drive and it sounds great. Nothing like a good Crack versus the tink. And I didn't lose that much yardage. Lots of fun.

I am going to have to learn how to wrap leather, as I have a 4 wood with Neumann leather grip and love it. Now I know why people talk up Neumann grips the way they do.
xsmith

Postby norcalvol » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:13 pm

I finally did it: I played 18 holes with persimmons.

I was surprised how much anxiety this act of defiance in the face of technology was brought upon myself, by myself.
When I hit balls at the range late Friday (for my self-video shoot of my swing as a baseline), I brought my persimmons with me and left the metals in the trunk of the car.
When I woke up Saturday morning ready to play a round at Metropolitan (Oakland), I had this dread fill me during breakfast at my local coffee dispenser (I had the metals and the persimmons in the bag).

So I drove back to the house, dumped the metals inside the house, leaving me with no last-second opportunities of chickening out while unloading at the golf course parking lot.

Silly stuff, because I had an absolute blast playing with these clubs. [I've owned them since the early 1970s]

After figuring out a nasty hook on the first two tees (I'm sure it was fear of the club in my hands), these old friends brought me a lot of joy Saturday. The ballflight was low, but true. When I hit one a bit thin, I felt it up through my arms into my shoulders - a reminder to put a better swing on it next time. And on 11, when I nutted the driver for a 250+ yard tee shot down the right side of the fairway (yes there was a prevailing breeze at my back), where I intended it to go, I was in love.

After the round, I felt like I actually did some serious physical labor --- they are heavier than my metals for sure (a D2 swingweight I think, so not really as heavy as ABS specs). That was noticeable. And my playing partners were a bit amused at first, but soon admitted that they absolutely loved the sound of the club hitting the ball.

And in recalling the round shortly thereafter, I really didn't give up that much distance by using my persimmons --- meaning that the course didn't play any different, except for a couple of fairway bunkers that came into play that do not with the metal. Maybe that's why the bunkers were placed there in the first place.

Thanks to Lag and many others here on the forum for giving me the courage to reaquaint myself with them for the first time in eons.

I'm not going to have any more anxiety attacks about these clubs. They are here to stay. They are wonderful.
Attachments
PowerBilt Citation Woods_small.JPG
PowerBilt Citation Woods_small.JPG (46.5 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby stevemcgee99 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:11 pm

lagpressure wrote:great stuff...

I wouldn't be surprised if you double the membership in a year!
how about 300 members in 3 years?

Everyone should start a society.. I might have to do that here in SF!

nice job Arnie!

I'd join!
McGee
stevemcgee99

Previous

Return to The Persimmon Age (Steel)