Hitting em great - how about you...?

Hitting em great - how about you...?

Postby bullrambler » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Well the Vintage M 85 irons that I ABS-ed are working better then mt first attempt to ABS the Remakes of the M 85 irons that I started with. I was smoke poling the 2 iron about 220 today off of a tee and about 205 off the turf. The 3 iron wasn't too far behind either. Also I was hitting the 5 iron to an elevated 195 yard green. Wedge was an easy 130; which is a DS bumped a bit stronger then OEM specs.

Still working on an ABS un-named persimmon driver and it should be in one piece tomorrow. This is my second effort and my work isn't the pretiest as I drilled the hosel a bit thin on one side - so I beefed it up on the weak side with a bit more epoxy. I'm not sure if it will hold up - but I expect it will give me some feedback for a future Driver project. All I have to do now is try my best to add the whipping.

I've been using a standard loft and lie Persimmon MacGregor M 85 Driver and Three wood but I'm a bit hot and cold with them. These ones haven't been ABS-ed yet so they might be throwing me off a bit. The SW is D8 but the shafts are the OEM Dynamic Stiffs. I am reluctant to ABS them because I don't want to ruin them.

How are you ABS-ers hittin em...?
"It clobbering Time"
bullrambler

Re: Hitting em great - how about you...?

Postby mdrretired » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:15 pm

Remember that you may be able to re-dowel the thin walled driver ad start over. Make sure that you us real hardwood and not the soft Chinese stuff. Try a Lowes hardware for the dowel - oak is best. Mike
mdrretired

Re: Hitting em great - how about you...?

Postby bullrambler » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:05 pm

Good suggestion: I used red oak saw dust and mixed it in with the Epoxy and redrilled it. I'm not too sure how this will work out so I should be able to whip it and see what happens. If I can get a dozen or so hits with it, that should give me some decent feed back for the next effort. I tipped a Dynamic stiff out of a M85W Four wood that I ended up with - after messing up the drilling on this one. It was severely cracked and my drilling on the 4 wood was way too flat and that one is a right-off.
"It clobbering Time"
bullrambler

Return to Equipment