Is R for Regular or Rigid?

Is R for Regular or Rigid?

Postby TheOtherOne » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:20 pm

I remember reading somewhere the manufacturers used an R on the shaft for rigid back in the day.
I don't seem to be able to figure out how to search this site properly to find the info.
Does anyone know which manufacturer and what years?
If so, is a rigid shaft stiffer than a S shaft back then?
Thanks!
TheOtherOne

Re: Is R for Regular or Rigid?

Postby LipOut » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:42 pm

In early 50's Mac's, R was "rigid" and V was "firm/regular". Then they got into numbering: 1 for stiff, 2 for firm/reg, etc. In general, the older stuff will run stiffer than a comparable modern shaft. "Stiff" shafts from the 50's and 60's were VERY stiff.
LipOut

Postby NRG » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:23 am

Shafts

Woods
True Temper 1950 thru 1957

C - Stiff
D - Medium/Stiff
E - Medium
G- Ladies or Juniors
K - ?

Irons
True Temper (from a 1954 ad)

R chrome shafts - Medium-Stiff
V chrome shafts - Firm, Medium-Stiff
Y - Ladies
Z - Seniors
Meteor - Ladies
Century - Junior

Propel 1958 thru 1968
#1 - Still
#2 - Medium/Stiff
#3 - Medium/Soft
#4 - Soft

A - Aluminium
Rocket L shaft “for players who prefer more flex”
NRG

Postby turn » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:52 am

Hi, been lurkin' for a while and now I'm a-postin'

Based on the above info (1954 iron ad), would a True Temper Pro Fit R shaft from 1959 be medium-stiff? Is that a playable shaft for ABS specs? Or would I eventually want/need to re-shaft with X100's? These are in wilson '59 dynapowers.
turn

Postby 20 Mule Team » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:43 am

Turn, most likely they will be fine, at least for now. I have a set of '62 Wilsons with the 'R' shaft and they are plenty heavy and stiff for me.

The biggest thing is to get those irons bent flat and install new grips, and go from there.

I haven't hit the '59s but I've read great things about them. You should have some great clubs there. Let us know what you think of them when you get them adjusted.
20 Mule Team

Postby turn » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Thanks! I went ahead and ordered them. This will make 4 sets of irons I need to bend - now if I could just find that perfect (economical) bending machine ...
turn

Postby 20 Mule Team » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:17 am

turn wrote:Thanks! I went ahead and ordered them. This will make 4 sets of irons I need to bend - now if I could just find that perfect (economical) bending machine ...

Turn, I found an older version of this machine:

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_VAM_A_cn_E_10059

I got it off craigslist for $35, plus another $35 for the bending bar. It works just fine for the hobbyist. Mine does not attach to a vise, so I bolted it to a block of 2x10 and clamped it into my miter saw stand.

The downside being that it does not have any gauges to give you angles or guide you on how much to bend. So I have to put the club in the bench vise first and check the loft and lie with levels and angle finders, etc., then bend it, then re-check. Sometimes it can take a good bit of back and forth to get it right. So it takes me an hour or so to bend an entire set.

But I've now bent 5 or 6 sets, and at $50/per I'm already in the black on this machine.

[I tried to post pictures of my setup but it keeps saying the submitted image is too many pixels. If someone knows how I can convert/re-save the images please let me know]
20 Mule Team

Return to Equipment