The Future of Golf/ Is this where it's going?

The Future of Golf/ Is this where it's going?

Postby lagpressure » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:46 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFEYC4Z44v0

1.jpg
1.jpg (56.14 KiB) Viewed 3922 times
lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: The Future of Golf/ Is this where it's going?

Postby lagpressure » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:51 am

I have to say,
Nicklaus' comments at the end of this video were pretty disappointing.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Paul C » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:13 am

Very disappointing but not surprising. Nicklaus is thinking like a businessman, his prerogative, it's a free country. He readily admits to constructing courses that are ridiculously long with huge green complexes and unplayable. Now he's expanding the golf course building bubble in China. He reminds me of an itinerant logger leaving a mess in his wake.

Much of this can also be laid squarely at the foot of Taylor Made ex-CEO Mark King. He talks about the game being too expensive. Yet his company releases new drivers every three months at $300 and up. People got smart and waited for prices to come down six months later before buying. Now desperate, we have foot golf, saucer-like golf holes, free beer. Fine, but don't call it golf.

TM sales are down 40+plus percent year to year. Dick's just fired all their in-house pros because no one was coming in. Before that, they had entered in to contracts w TM and Callaway to buy huge quantities of their gear, which just sits there collecting dust.

Mark King speaks out of both sides of his mouth. He is nothing more than a carny.
Paul C

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:59 am

One half of me says do it. The other half hates me for even thinking it. I say "screw" it, if it's not traditional, I don't want to play it. I know a lot of private clubs around here are amping up the social outings to bring young folks in, but the game is dying with the 30 and unders. There is no "role" model out there that inspires. Rory is streaky and not american, tiger is a mess, phil is too old now, rickie fowler is taking his game seriously now and losing stock with younger people...

Every good golf is white, so there goes diversity.

In the end, I think the game peaked in the late 90's (before tiger). Make the purses smaller again...who cares. This game isn't about endorsements and $$$, it's about a love and lifetime commitment to something spiritual (IMO). I guess we'll see where this goes, but I'm willing to bet it becomes a gentlemen's game again...it's never going away, right?
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby NRG » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:11 pm

They are going to need 15" holes if they are all pissed on the free beer, it beggars belief.
NRG

Postby lagpressure » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:09 pm

I have certainly taken my share of flack for being a purist... hitting persimmon and preferring classic time tested tracks that require a greater palate of shotmaking.

But the arguments I have made are no different than anyone embracing the modern era then protesting against making the hole bigger.

It's the same thing. I think they never should have allowed the large sized drivers, long putters or "regulation" golf courses to be over 7000 yards. A course does not have to be 7400 yards to be tough. Merion proved that. Smaller greens, tighter driving areas etc..

This whole concept that the business of golf trumps the game itself is where it is all going wrong. The business should embrace the game and work around it. Respect it and nurture it.

If they think making the hole bigger is going to change things.. it won't. Once everyone gets used to it.. the same frustrations will exist when people miss "tap in" 15 foot putts. Gimmies would be anything inside four paces from the hole. Pros will have to shoot four rounds in the 50's to cash a check.

I hope it's not true that 200 course are already cutting 15" cups for standard play.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Paul C » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:44 pm

Gee, I hope that's not true. It's clear TM's King disrespects the game. He calls his endeavor hack golf. Which is what it is. It also shows complete disrespect for those who play the game and those thinking about entering the sport. His message to newcomers is...'you'll be no good at this game, you won't improve, so we'll be here to enable you with gear and course setups that play to your weaknesses.' Keep him and his ilk as far away from me as you can. For that I would be grateful.
Paul C

Postby Ded2Journey » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:50 pm

I'm getting depressed. Is there anyway to petition against this? Can we rally and write the PGA, USGA, R & A, etc? Should we be worried...TM is just a manufacturer of equipment after all...
BTW, most of my HS golf was played at Haggin Oaks...crazy to see soccer players ruining Tee boxes and greens.
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby lagpressure » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:10 pm

If the goal is strictly to make money, encourage more people to enter the game, keep people employed etc.. protect the marketing power of the golf demographic, then they are probably doing the right thing.

But these are not people that love and respect the game.

I remember my last year in business school, I had a professor that said "if you are in business, the goal of your business should be to maximize profits, period". That way of thinking didn't resonate with me. I remember thinking how fortunate I was to be heading into a different occupational path pursuing a career in playing a game that I loved. I just don't understand why the goal can't be sustainability. Grow a business to where you make a fair living, help others when and if you can, and be thankful for what you have.

This whole idea that the game is in trouble... that the game owes corporate shareholders an upward trending stock chart at the expense of anything that gets in their way... it doesn't say much for the stewardship of the game.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:16 pm

Here it is folks.. and on an Alister MacKenzie track to boot (no pun intended)

http://www.hagginoaks.com/footgolf/
The Haggin Oaks FootGolf Course has 18 holes built within the front nine of the Arcade Creek Golf Course at Haggin Oaks and is designed to be able play both traditional golf and FootGolf simultaneously.

To play, you must be dressed appropriately. Indoor soccer shoes, Turf Soccer shoes are recommended (no Soccer Cleats). A size 5 soccer ball is recommended.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Next

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!