ABS Modern Driver? It exists...

Re: ABS Modern Driver? It exists...

Postby Wknhacker » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:38 am

Thanks for reply Ded. Really appreciate it.

I've been using a Titliest 910 D3 for about 8 years now. It's the only modern driver I have because the hosel allows me to loft it down .75 flat from standard. I'll probably pick up the Sub Zero as they are getting really cheap on Ebay these days.

As for persimmon drivers. My absolute favourite and gamer for life is my 43 inch Powerbilt Citation. Don't know what year it was made and there is nothing on the shaft to indicate manufacturer or flex (feels stiff) but when I hit balata balls with that thing it just feels so awesome.

All the best to you and Stu with your project.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby Ded2Journey » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:37 am

Wknhacker wrote:Thanks for reply Ded. Really appreciate it.

I've been using a Titliest 910 D3 for about 8 years now. It's the only modern driver I have because the hosel allows me to loft it down .75 flat from standard. I'll probably pick up the Sub Zero as they are getting really cheap on Ebay these days.

As for persimmon drivers. My absolute favourite and gamer for life is my 43 inch Powerbilt Citation. Don't know what year it was made and there is nothing on the shaft to indicate manufacturer or flex (feels stiff) but when I hit balata balls with that thing it just feels so awesome.

All the best to you and Stu with your project.

Those 910s are pretty solid...not sure about the Citation. Thx for the well wishes...same to you on your shopping ventures!
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby k2baloo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:19 am

I might need a separate thread on modern gear, in general, just to avoid threadjacking this one. I got my new wedges and blades (Cally MD4s and Apex MBs). Love the look, and the wedges are superb, but the irons feel so odd to me. Got them +1/2 and 3 flat but they feel too long and upright. Very light too and I have no clubhead awareness. I will have to make some modifications, but they do set up very nicely. Small, with a nice head shape, and the CTapers feel plenty stable. The wedges have really impressed me, I do think there are some shots with the modern wedge grinds and milled faces that are hard to replicate with the vintage wedge, partly because of the ball design too. I love my old Wilson SW though.

Also, the box of Wishons came in today with a flat driver, 3w, and hybrid. Will see how those set up and perform when I get home.
k2baloo

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:02 am

k2baloo wrote:I might need a separate thread on modern gear, in general, just to avoid threadjacking this one. I got my new wedges and blades (Cally MD4s and Apex MBs). Love the look, and the wedges are superb, but the irons feel so odd to me. Got them +1/2 and 3 flat but they feel too long and upright. Very light too and I have no clubhead awareness. I will have to make some modifications, but they do set up very nicely. Small, with a nice head shape, and the CTapers feel plenty stable. The wedges have really impressed me, I do think there are some shots with the modern wedge grinds and milled faces that are hard to replicate with the vintage wedge, partly because of the ball design too. I love my old Wilson SW though.

Also, the box of Wishons came in today with a flat driver, 3w, and hybrid. Will see how those set up and perform when I get home.

Sounds like a fun man...just have fun...I'm pretty sure that's all that matters anyway. I personally like your setup a lot...even if I do hate those mack daddy wedges
"People have always been telling me what I can't do. I guess I have wanted to show them. That's been one of my driving forces all my life." -Ben Hogan
Ded2Journey

Postby LesMurray » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:45 am

k2baloo wrote:I might need a separate thread on modern gear, in general, just to avoid threadjacking this one. I got my new wedges and blades (Cally MD4s and Apex MBs). Love the look, and the wedges are superb, but the irons feel so odd to me. Got them +1/2 and 3 flat but they feel too long and upright. Very light too and I have no clubhead awareness. I will have to make some modifications, but they do set up very nicely. Small, with a nice head shape, and the CTapers feel plenty stable. The wedges have really impressed me, I do think there are some shots with the modern wedge grinds and milled faces that are hard to replicate with the vintage wedge, partly because of the ball design too. I love my old Wilson SW though.

I picked up a set of newer Mizuno wedges (52*, 60*) and got the lies adjusted to where I like them. When I got the 60*, the previous owner had glued a weight to the back so I like the feel of that one. The 52* is still the original weight and I find it too light for my liking. I am sure you have found this as well where the lightness of modern clubs really affects my ability to feel distances.
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:48 am

The driver is a little disappointing, LOL... Everytime I try a modern driver I feel that way. 2 hybrid and 3 wood are pretty solid.
The driver face looks closed, even though I know it's square. Lie angle is nice having it a bit flatter.
The irons are nice, but no better than my 75 dynas. I like them better than my 54 top flites but only because the 54s have crazy leading edges.

All in all, I wish I could just compete somewhere with the classic stuff. Shame.
k2baloo

Postby Ded2Journey » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:33 pm

k2baloo wrote:The driver is a little disappointing, LOL... Everytime I try a modern driver I feel that way. 2 hybrid and 3 wood are pretty solid.
The driver face looks closed, even though I know it's square. Lie angle is nice having it a bit flatter.
The irons are nice, but no better than my 75 dynas. I like them better than my 54 top flites but only because the 54s have crazy leading edges.

All in all, I wish I could just compete somewhere with the classic stuff. Shame.

http://www.hickorygolfassociation.org/
http://persimmongolftoday.org/competitions/classic-steel
Ded2Journey

Postby LesMurray » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:01 am

K2, seen this site on FB? I think NRG is active on there as well as Steve Magee.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/189830219415/
LesMurray

Postby k2baloo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:20 am

Well, thought I would chime in here since I actually used the new gear on course. First off, I don't see anything too crazy with a 50* lie on the driver. Mine is 54* and at 43 inches feels pretty normal. My 3 wood is also at 54* and feels about right. I play my irons at 3* flat, so could easily see people going flatter in the 3w/driver. BTW, threw 95 gram hybrid shafts in the driver/3 wood to avoid having to add a lot of headweight since I'm playing them short. So far, that's worked out okay. Similarly, my hybrid has a 112 gram iron shaft (maybe 105 after cutting).

The new clubs are definitely longer, that's for sure. We have a Par 5 at the course that's ~525 yards, second half up a hill. With vintage clubs, I'll go for the green with a 3 wood if I hit a good drive. With the new stuff, I went Driver-4 iron to a front pin. My drive was probably 20-25 yards past where I can hit a persimmon. The large driver head looks odd, don't think I'll ever be a fan of the super large heads. They're pretty pointless IMO.

I didn't play great, was even through 5 and then +6 on the last 4 holes :oops: Still need to fix a few of the clubs to my liking and learn my yardages. I air-mailed a green from 110 as I'm still working out how far the stuff goes. Chunked the 58 degree wedge repeatedly even though the 50 and 54 play OK. I'll figure it out and hopefully be able to score better.

Goal is to qualify for the state am, so I need to get some reps in and think about scoring and grinding. If the qualifier was today, I would definitely not have the game.
k2baloo

Previous

Return to Equipment