How to Flatten a Persimmon Driver

Re: How to Flatten a Persimmon Driver

Postby lagpressure » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:05 am

The Spining theory is that the shaft will be stiffer when flexed against or into the spine.. and to get your shafts all consistent through the set.. they should be spined..

However.. the stiffer your shafts.. the less this is an issue..

Second.. unless you are doing all the clubs in your bag.. what is the point?

Third.. you would really need to be a tremendous ball striker for this to make any difference on your scorecard..

This is really splitting hairs..

get to where you are averaging 17 greens a round.. then spining might help you hit that final green... maybe....
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Persimmonpal » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:40 am

Hey lag~
Nice article; thanks forposting.. I have several refinishing projects in the works at the moment.. I think I will giv ethis a shot.
One thing I wanted to mention.. With a bore through shaft, it is not necessary to cut the shaft off in order to insert the heated rod into the shaft and break the epoxy bond..
What I do is drill out the wooden plug in the bore through and insert the rod throug the heel.
As for the pin, when you do this you end up drilling through the pin.. most times the head of the pin will pop out of the neck, and you can pull it out without having to remove all the wood. When it doesnt come out, use a small nail punch to push the head of the pin into the shaft, and it should fall out. If it doesnt, you can drill through the heel again to remove the remaining piece.
I have removed at least 100 pinned bore through persimmons with this method, and am successful in removing the shaft with no loss of wood at least 90% of the time.
One thing.. If I am starting to remove a shaft in an old club such as a Mac, If the club isnt whipped prior to this I generally whip it nice and tight before I start to pull the shaft. alot of times there are hairline cracks in the neck that will widen when pulling the shaft.
Take care!
John
Persimmonpal

Postby lagpressure » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:34 pm

those are good suggestions.. thanks..
Always looking for an easier and better way..

I did the wood removal to show that even a worst case situation, where you simply can't get the pin out.. you can remove wood and get to it without it being the end of the world..

I have had some really stubborn pins.. and drilling them out from the bottom is great, and a great way to do it.. sometimes the epoxies can really be stubborn also, and firing them from both sides with the heat rod can really help.

thanks again..

keep flattening the persimmons!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Persimmonpal » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:39 am

You are right on when you say that sometimes those pins can be tricky to get out!!! (It can be pretty nerver wracking too when the neck has those hairline cracks..
Your work looks great though!
Looking forward to seeing some more of your stuff!
-John
Persimmonpal

Postby NRG » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:41 am

Finally finished my flat driver.

Copy of Picture2 008.jpg
Copy of Picture2 008.jpg (98.29 KiB) Viewed 6304 times
NRG

Postby Addington Arnie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:57 am

Nice one Neil - bet you can't wait to give it a smack!

Cheers, Arnie
Addington Arnie

Postby robbo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:06 pm

Fantastic job NRG! Hard to believe it's the same club as your original pics!

robbo
robbo

Postby lagpressure » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:26 pm

nice job..

looks great..

what degree did you set it at?

Can you post before and after shots side by side? that would be fun..
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby NRG » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:50 am

Arnie, I doubt I will get to give it a smack any time soon, minus 7 here with 8 inches of snow.

Robbo, I was quite chuffed with the face rebuild, just used some of the gloop left over from filling the hole, then it was a just case of sanding and a Junior Hacksaw blade to reform the grooves.

Lag, I think I got it pretty close to 46 degrees. It's SW E2 with a 44 inch shaft.

I hate to sound trite, but it looks bloddy flat!! When I went 7 flat with my irons, they looked fine and I took to them straight away. But this?? I reckon I will need a wide stance and a lot of knee bend to get down to hit this thing. Can't see many going left.

before_and_after.png
before_and_after.png (340.26 KiB) Viewed 6188 times

Managed to recycle the whipping also. Not the easiest thing to get your hands on. I tried googling it but found something quite different. :shock:
NRG

Postby macs » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:53 pm

NRG
Recycle - good. Nice Job.
macs

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)