Lag, lightbulb moments and videotape

Re: Lag, lightbulb moments and videotape

Postby lagpressure » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:44 pm

Canadian Tour Player:

Played really solid, ball striking is really coming around I've hit a lot of balls in the last two weeks. The heavier clubs are really helping me get the club into a better position. I ended up shooting 66!

I can feel the circle that the hands make that is shown by the diagram in the student forum. I think Trevino calls it the figure eight. I feel a lot of strength in my hands and forearms from the bag work and hitting balls!

Excited to keep working hard!

Thanks, John
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Wed May 18, 2016 2:49 pm

Mod9.jpg
Mod9.jpg (33.55 KiB) Viewed 5969 times

Mod 9 student displaying the much more sophisticated method for hitting a tightly controlled draw shot.
No right arm throw, no rolling of the wrist or other timing related hand manipulation.
By applying opposing forces correctly, the student gains control without sacrificing power either.

Module 7 Student:

Your supplementary video on weight transfer I thought was excellent - I consider myself a student of the game, but have never seen any instruction like that. I'm convinced that weight going left too soon has been a big contributor to my getting steep and flippy. So I've been working on my leg action mainly - the importance of the right knee flexing on the way down is much clearer to me now. I love the video of you hitting the persimmon without posting on the left leg - awesome and you make it look easy, and it's not! I'm getting there, but it's a big change from where my weight's been going til now.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:00 pm

Advanced ABS Student:

It sure is fun seeing that I am 200 out and grabbing my 3 iron and firing for the green. I would never have dared that before this year. Your abs program is awesome but I have learned that it takes years to get one's own feel.

Mod 6 and Superslotting student:
Finally broke through and shot a 78! So excited, and thanks so much for putting up with all my endless questions and videos!

Thanks for the updates and good work!
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:47 pm

Mod 4 Student:

I really am starting to feel that going into a bent left knee helps with the resistance for the torso rotation and good stability.
Really enjoying where this is taking my ball striking!!

Mod 1 Grad:

I'm hitting some really good shots at the moment. Have been doing the
Mod 1 Drills, and also finally made the connection between Mike Maves'
ideas on the backswing pivot and transition and Mod 1. Was very happy to
see him reference you in his book :0)

I've always (wrongly) thought that the weight needed to be on the left
leg at impact. Talk about a huge misunderstanding. Anyway, have now
got a really good feeling through the ball. My left wrist has stopped
being sore after a practice session and I'm really enjoying hitting some
lovely shots.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:13 pm

Mod 6 Student:

Ok, the whole slotting it finally clicked. I have finally felt the "whip", and am pounding that poor ball as it has never been pounded. All irons now fly out boring and sizzling, rise, then drop. Length is longer then ever. Even though I feel it as a hit, it looks on video like a swing,but the ball flight is very straight. Now that I get it, I can see what I have to work on to keep it from being a swing, mostly PIA.

So what "I" feel, on my best shots, it is as if I am doing a right arm curl on the backswing, works better for me then a pie smash, I actually end up with a bit of bow in my right wrist, which causes the laid off, forearm rotation, which causes the right elbow to move in front of the right hip, which when I do that, I hit every club with major authority. I mean major, never hit the ball with so much power. Can I say that again, I get it, will have to recalibrate all irons to the new distance, and I can stop the ball on our hard greens with all but the lower irons. Drives huge, as long as all but the longest kids in our club. Not bad for an old man.

When it all comes together, it almost feels like I am leaving the hands at the top, while I close all the gaps, and the oily wrists get torqued even more, reroute lower, then the club comes way in, like it might hit my shoulder, and then Bang, off it goes.

Did shoot a 72(par71), 2 under on the back, a personal best for 9, and a personal best for 18.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby lagpressure » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:36 am

Mod 6 student....

I've been able to hit balls a couple hours a day here recently. I've noticed a lot of improvement doing this and will probably continue as long as I see improvements. Now this is good because for a long time I felt like the more I practiced the worse I got. But recently I'm starting to see improvements every time I practice.

Basically I started just hitting balls with mod1. I did that for at least a week, 2 hours a day. Then I tried to add a bit of mod 6 and mod 3 in. I'm feeling getting the clubhead back on the 430 line is key and it's got to be done with the hands and not just the body turn because you can just turn and have the clubhead appear to go inside the target line, but not be inside in relation to the hands and arms, which gives you no levarage to strike the ball with.

In fact I think a huge part of coming OTT is a lack of being on the 430 line and the body tosses the hands outside in a last ditch effort to get the clubhead back in relation to the hands in order to get some leverage to hit the ball.

Then there is also wrist cock which is what I've really been working on recently. This also has to be present and gets the club down to the ball. Basically the wrist cock is the vertical
component and getting the clubhead back to the inside is the horizontal component and these two components combine together in the swing.

Then also the hands carry the club through. I find module 3 really works this. And the hands taking the club through really produces the feeling of a "swing" above all else.

So yea basically all of these things combine together to create the swing. The backswing gets the wrist cocked and the clubhead back on the 430 line. The hands carry the handle through while at the same time they strike the ball through impact. I feel that's the jist of the swing, at least for me at this point.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby HB51 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:26 pm

"Golf is a game of self discovery... but it sure helps to have some good direction and coaching." Lag

Don't know if this is a "lightbulb moment" .... but a realization that no matter how hard I try to do it on my own, I'm not going to get where I want to go.

Initial Post. First of all I would like to thank Lag, Two, and all the others who willingly share their knowledge and past experiences in an effort to help others improve their game.

I signed up for the mods about 6 weeks ago after "lurking" here since last November. I came across the site after searching the web with a renewed desire to hit the ball well after not playing for about 20-25 years. I'm 52, and like Grady said, "getting up in years with a lot of wear on the tires." (back, hip, tfcc, shoulder injures, and no vision in my left eye).

Due to a lack of funds I was unable to join the mods out of the box, but like many others, I attempted to extract as much as I could in an effort to implement many of the ABS protocols into my swing.

Initially I tried to execute some of mod 1, 2, and 3 based on what I could "glean" from the site and other YouTube videos. Poor execution often resulted in injury.

Most of my work consisted of hitting balls in an open field (should have been drilling). Although I believe I made some ground, I eventually realized that if I wanted an ABS swing, I needed Lag's coaching and direction; otherwise time was just passing by with minimal improvements. I believe that's the case because there is so much valuable information on the site, that its easy to apply a "new swing thought or intention" before fully engraining the previous one into your DNA. Each new nugget may last for a session or two and produce some great ball striking, only to fade from permanency due to trying to implement the next big thing. For me, a new intention would often reverse what I had previously learned and sometimes cause me to revert back to old habits. (steep, aggressive from the top, release of pressure after impact). In the end this became circular.

After signing up, and getting access to Lag's mod 1 video's, supplements, and instructive posts, I quickly realized that there are many missing pieces that you're not aware of when you're on the outside looking in. Equally as important is access to the private side. The ability to read those posts and hear from those who are and have been working the program for many, many years is invaluable.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to add anything of value to the site, as it is so comprehensive. Also, I came into this with a very ignorant understanding what the great ball strikers did. I am embarrassed to say I never knew that Hogan, Knudson, and the other "great strikers" had something so elusive and special. But I sure do now!

I am thankful to have found the site and look forward to moving through the program. I'll try and post the "status" of my swing soon and eventually post a video when I figure out the technical side of things. I'd welcome any feedback.

Anyway, I recently got my first review from Lag on my mod 1 attempts....so I'm off to the bag.

HB51
HB51

Postby LesMurray » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:20 pm

HB51 wrote:"Golf is a game of self discovery... but it sure helps to have some good direction and coaching." Lag

Don't know if this is a "lightbulb moment" .... but a realization that no matter how hard I try to do it on my own, I'm not going to get where I want to go.

Initial Post. First of all I would like to thank Lag, Two, and all the others who willingly share their knowledge and past experiences in an effort to help others improve their game.

I signed up for the mods about 6 weeks ago after "lurking" here since last November. I came across the site after searching the web with a renewed desire to hit the ball well after not playing for about 20-25 years. I'm 52, and like Grady said, "getting up in years with a lot of wear on the tires." (back, hip, tfcc, shoulder injures, and no vision in my left eye).

Due to a lack of funds I was unable to join the mods out of the box, but like many others, I attempted to extract as much as I could in an effort to implement many of the ABS protocols into my swing.

Initially I tried to execute some of mod 1, 2, and 3 based on what I could "glean" from the site and other YouTube videos. Poor execution often resulted in injury.

Most of my work consisted of hitting balls in an open field (should have been drilling). Although I believe I made some ground, I eventually realized that if I wanted an ABS swing, I needed Lag's coaching and direction; otherwise time was just passing by with minimal improvements. I believe that's the case because there is so much valuable information on the site, that its easy to apply a "new swing thought or intention" before fully engraining the previous one into your DNA. Each new nugget may last for a session or two and produce some great ball striking, only to fade from permanency due to trying to implement the next big thing. For me, a new intention would often reverse what I had previously learned and sometimes cause me to revert back to old habits. (steep, aggressive from the top, release of pressure after impact). In the end this became circular.

After signing up, and getting access to Lag's mod 1 video's, supplements, and instructive posts, I quickly realized that there are many missing pieces that you're not aware of when you're on the outside looking in. Equally as important is access to the private side. The ability to read those posts and hear from those who are and have been working the program for many, many years is invaluable.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to add anything of value to the site, as it is so comprehensive. Also, I came into this with a very ignorant understanding what the great ball strikers did. I am embarrassed to say I never knew that Hogan, Knudson, and the other "great strikers" had something so elusive and special. But I sure do now!

I am thankful to have found the site and look forward to moving through the program. I'll try and post the "status" of my swing soon and eventually post a video when I figure out the technical side of things. I'd welcome any feedback.

Anyway, I recently got my first review from Lag on my mod 1 attempts....so I'm off to the bag.

HB51

Welcome aboard. After 3 years and 9 mods I am still learning about this thing we call the golf swing. Keep at it your perseverance will pay off.
LesMurray

Postby HB51 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:22 pm

Thanks Les. I have followed much of your journey...you are truly dedicated to the program. Looks like your efforts are paying off. I'm on mod 1 with but have been spending the little time I have (and decreased daylight) hitting balls with my son in a nearby field. Do you, or anyone else, have any drill/practice recommendations while actually hitting balls? It's getting colder her in the midwest and I won't have many opportunities to hit off grass as winter approaches. I did notice a drill by Grady where he hits from around P3 keeping the right elbow close with an entry from 4:30. Captain Chaos had a similar drill. It appeared that in both instances the guys were trying to press down into the right leg/ground with strong forearm rotation, shaft on elbow pitch...then pressuring the shaft through the strike with a strong pivot. Just my observations.

HB51
HB51

Postby LesMurray » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:56 pm

HB51 wrote:Thanks Les. I have followed much of your journey...you are truly dedicated to the program. Looks like your efforts are paying off. I'm on mod 1 with but have been spending the little time I have (and decreased daylight) hitting balls with my son in a nearby field. Do you, or anyone else, have any drill/practice recommendations while actually hitting balls? It's getting colder her in the midwest and I won't have many opportunities to hit off grass as winter approaches. I did notice a drill by Grady where he hits from around P3 keeping the right elbow close with an entry from 4:30. Captain Chaos had a similar drill. It appeared that in both instances the guys were trying to press down into the right leg/ground with strong forearm rotation, shaft on elbow pitch...then pressuring the shaft through the strike with a strong pivot. Just my observations.

HB51

That drill is Mod 8 where we put together the preceding modules and work on ingraining the motion through the strike. Without at least module 2 and 3 doing those types of drills won't do you much good and in fact could retard your growth. I would recommend getting your reps in on the bag and working on your short game - chips and pitches with the mod 1 motion. I would also look at some of Bradley Hughes' videos where he talks about late acceleration - doing things like at address pushing a tee marker with your club or trying to hit tees out in front of you. Sequencing becomes so important as you get into the later modules and I have really been spending the last year or so working on that.
LesMurray

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)